3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: quivers..back/bow...? do you use..why  (Read 814 times)

Offline redeemed

• Trad Bowhunter
quivers..back/bow...? do you use..why
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
what type of quiver do you use? what do you like about it? what don't you you like about it?
JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOW!!!!

To God be the glory, great things He has done!!!!!

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quivers..back/bow...? do you use..why
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
I use bow quivers now.  I usually hunt from some kind of ground blind and take the quiver off when I get settled in.  It's usually to noisy for stalking around here.  I am considering some kind of belt quiver though.  I just wonder about getting it through the brush.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
I have tried just about everything... bow, back, side, belt, GFA .... I am sticking with the bow quiver because it works for me.  It's quiet, quick access, arrows are protected, and I look at it this way.... I am carrying my longbow or recurve through the bush, why not add a little to it instead of having extra bulk elsewhere that isn't neccisarily "lined up" with the rest of my body or equipment.    Whatever works for you.
Semper Fi,
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
My sons and I are "die-hard" backquiver users

HOWEVER.....The last few years,my oldest son Kevin and I have been using Selway slip-on bowquivers for hunting and we have been very happy with them.

This past febuary after the "Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt" Kevin decided that he was going to leave his bowquiver on his bow.After giving it much thought.....I decided to leave mine on also!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
I made a Shrew style quiver that I wear as if I'm left handed, that way when I'm stalking my arrows are behind my back but I can slide the quiver down to my right side and they are easy to get to.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
side quiver, so I can wear a back pack.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
I like my leather MAL Hunter back quiver. The reason i like a back quiver is the fact that i want a bare bow. I like a bow that is light weight and a quiver would add weight that i feel i don;t need. I also like the ease in which i can get an arrow ready to shoot and the way it makes me drift back in time when some of the archery greats carried there arrows in the same manner. I just like them! They can be a pain in heavy brush but slung under the arm like carrying a football you can get through the cover in one piece without arrow loss.  They dont offer protection in the rain for your feathers, i do have a cat quiver mini for just such an occasion though   :)
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Elk Ninja makes some good points.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
GFA quiver, I never really liked a bow quiver. So I deceided to give the GFA quiver a try,and ended up really liking it. It keeps my arrows right at my side for easy access. And can be hung it the tree when I am hunting from a stand.
Bill

Offline RidinMyK2PastU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Bow quiver. I usually have a back pack or treestand on my back, so.....

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
I used a hip quiver when starting out then bought a bear quiver to go on my bow but it was just way heavy. I turned it into a GFA style quiver and never looked back. I still use the hip quiver when target shooting etc but when hunting I always put on the other one..Its easy to get to, easy to move around out of the way when going through brush etc, you can wear a pack etc and also I just love shooting a light bow without anything on it.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Like Woodchucker, I'm a die hard Backquiver guy. Mine is super soft and there is no arrow rattle. I use a large fanny pack in conjunction with this quiver.

On rainy days or threat of bad weather, I break out my Catquiver 3.5. Another fine quiver that holds enough arrows and gear for a weekend hunt. Only draw back is having to remove the quiver to put the arrow back.

My Great Northern adjustable quiver is used for my western hunts or bear hunting. I like wearing a large backpack out west and the bowquiver fits the bill. The only problem, I really don't like having a quiver on my bow. The GN is lightweight and doesn't affect my shooting and thats a plus.

Overall....Backquiver and Catquiver first, bowquiver last. Just personal preference.....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
I like a bow quiver. I've used back quivers before and I'll admit I forgot to grab it one day as I hurried out the door to go hunting.  :knothead:  Nothing worse than driving 40 min to hunt and you can't find your arrows, arrrgggghhh!! Not to say I wouldn't forget my bow some day. I find bow quivers much more conveinent than anything else I've used.
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
i like  lakota quivers that i make out of roo fur why because the lakota is easy to get arrows out of with out to much movment. and are real easy to take in the bush as you just slide them in front of you.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
For the type of hunting I do a bow quiver is just great... When stalking through cover it's a good idea to have your arrows where you can see them...Most of the time I'll use a fletch cover to protect those BRIGHT feathers from the elements...

Target or 3D is another story...I use a back quiver for that stuff...Need lots of ammo!!!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Double strap back quiver keeps the arrows behind my head so most of the time if I'm not getting hit in the face my arrows aren't getting knocked around.Plus you can use a climber with it on,straps to the tree with a bungi cord,and you can usually get a big enough pocket on one to avoid a fanny pack.On top of that,I like to a bare bow also.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
i use my homemade GFA type for hunting, i hang it in my tree when i am stand hunting.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Like a lot of you guys I've pretty much used them all.  I started out with a cat quiver...couldn't sit down without taking it off.
Went to side quiver...bad in the brush.  On to leather possibles bag with quiver attachment...too bulky and heavy and the strap was uncomfortable.  Bow quiver, bow was heavier and unbalanced.  Just bought a Cat quiver 3 for this season...back to the future!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I started with a hip quiver, then switched to a bow quiver, and i love it. But I wouldn't get one of those heavy selway quivers. if you decide to get a bow quiver, do yourself a favor and get an Eagle's Flight quiver. they are super light weight (only 4-5 oz.) and they are quiet. I like the little bit of extra weight that my bow quiver adds to my longbow but i certainly don't want a heavy bow either.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
I use a side quiver. I just don't care for the extra weight on my bow. I have used a Thunderhorn Boa. It's lighter than most, but still makes my bow feel funny.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©