3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have any of you used a Collapsible pack frames  (Read 365 times)

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
Have any of you used a Collapsible pack frames
« on: October 06, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Have any of you used a collapsible pack frame,and if so what one?  Does it work well and is it sturdy?  As I am getting older and the mountains seem to be growing, I don't like to go back to the truck to get a pack frame, especially if I have to climb alot.  It always seems like a wasted trip, but as I am now 51 and a small guy, I can't carry as much out either each trip.  I hope to save my pennies for a collapsible pack frame that I can carry in with me without it being in the way.  I saw two such packs on the web.  One is the Port a pack out of British Columbia, and the other was the Rhino Pack out of Idaho.  Any experience with these that someone could share would be appreciated.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have any of you used a Collapsible pack frames
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
TTT
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
You can make an "A" frame pack out of wood if you bring some strapping with you.  You'll have to try this one before you actually use to see how long the strapping should be.

Cut two pieces of wood (1 1/2 inces diameter or so)measured from your armpit to the tip of your fingers.  Cut one other the span of your elbow to fingertip (a cubit)  Now you have three pieces-two long and one short.  The short one is the spreader and will be at the bottom of the frame.

Using parachute cord or similar Tie the two long pieces together a few inches from the end.  That's the top of your pack.

Now tie the cross piece a few inches from the bottom of the "A" that's your spreader bar.

Now use one continous piece of strapping and starting in the middle of the strap and using a clinch not or clove hitch tie it around the top of the "A"

Bring the two ends of the strapping over your shoulders and hang the frame off your back just like a back pack. Then bring the ends down and around the part where the spreader is tied-tie another clinch knot or clove hitch.  

The loose ends of the strapping will be used as a waist belt.

It's hard to picture but easy to do.  Pm me if you can't undersand my instructions.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture to show you.

the chef

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
Get yourself an Eberlestock X2, it's the best thing you can do for yourself! It is only an 1800" pack but has all the room you need for all day or 3 days & 2 nights. It;s a small pack & it has outside the pack meat carrying capabilities, it will pack elk quarters no problem! It also has 2 water bladder spots, it's one of the best toughest little packs I've ever used!

I packed out 3 bulls with it this year & 1 bull with the 2200 badlands & I'll take the X2 over it!

Here's link where you can see we are packing out quarters with it. Note a few photos into the slide show the guy (my son) with a black shirt on, he's on the right side in the photo, that's a X2 pack, I'm also in a different photo wearing a green shirt with the exact pack. You can see how it will handle those loads with no problem!

ElkNut1

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I had a Rhino...there are MANY better options out there!

Great theory, not so great in practice.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts guys.  
Chef, great idea if you are without a pack.  I will keep that in mind, I do understand your instructions.  
Elknut, I will look at those packs, but I must admit I am not fond of back packs and prefer fanny packs for hunting 'cause I always seem to run a back back into things as I'm skulking around in the woods, ducking under trees and limbs, etc.  That one looks better designed than most packs, however.
Steve O, can you tell me your thoughts on better options than the Rhino, especially if you are talking about collapsible, take down or whatever you might call these types of packs.  Can you elaborate on the Rhino?
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I'm with Elknut on the X2 being a great pack for the type of hunting you are talking about.  Between game bags and items needed to take care of an animal if you get one, a collapsable frame, water, and all the other miscellaneous items I carry while mountain hunting, I don't think I couldn't get by with a fanny pack.  The X2 does a great job for me and carries a load really well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Thanks Whip.  I read your Wyoming elk story.  It was a great read.  I'm sorry you weren't able to take an elk, but glad you enjoyed the experience.  I worked in SW Wyoming for 7 1/2 years and had to move for a family reason.  I miss it so much still after 11 years.

Do you guys with the X2 find it hard to move through brush and under things with it?  I have a large fanny pack with shoulder harness that won't hold as much, but has served fairly well.  I seem to get critters sometimes in places I don't want to hike out to the truck for a frame.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Naturally, the bigger the pack the tougher it is to crawl under and through stuff.  But the X2 rides low enough on my shoulders that I really didn't have too much trouble getting hung up on things.  I just had to be aware not to stand back up too quickly when ducking under a branch.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Yes, as whip points out it is a short pack & you can easily maneuver it under anything without getting it tangled up! That is one of the main reasons I picked this pack!

I too am short, I'm 5'7" & 155 & that pack adjusts great to me. Too I'm 55 & I too like to pack a load out these days & this pack is sweet for doing so. As I mentioned I packed out 3 bulls with the pack & 100# doesn't even phase it!!

Good Luck in your decision!

ElkNut1

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Hunting with a pack on is not that hard.  Any of the Eberlestocks, Badlands, Bison Gear will allow you to get around easy and shoot with your pack on.  

With the Rhino, you have to put the thing together all the time and if you leave it together it is NOISY!  Branches clanging off metal everywhere.  Then when you have it put together you have cheesy shoulder straps and waist belt.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
I've had the Rhino for years and have no complaints. Always been comfortable. I packed a whole antelope for over a mile with comfort.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Thanks Jock.  That is the Port-a-Pack I was wondering about.  I talked with the owner about a year ago, but was wondering if anyone had used this pack and what they thought of it, and also the Rhino.  I can't afford either right now, but am trying to figure out the best pack for me when I can afford it, 'cause I won't be able to get more than one for quite awhile.
Thanks for your input Barney.  You sound satisfied with the Rhino. Can you stash it in a smaller pack or large fanny pack?
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Some great advice posted already.

...I must admit I am not fond of back packs and prefer fanny packs for hunting 'cause I always seem to run a back back into things as I'm skulking around in the woods, ducking under trees and limbs, etc. ...[/QB]
Wanting something with you to pack out meat with makes that choice for you IMO. But I hear you.

The difference for me finally not minding a pack on my back all day was getting it to ride lower on my hips and how I packed it. (heaviest stuff at the bottom). I don't even know its there anymore...
When it is too high up it messes with my balance.

I think most of use have a tendency to have the pack ride too high up on our backs. You want them as low as you can get them and still have good, natural posture. Most of my pack rides lower than my shoulder blades, but I am 6-2.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
sometimes I hang my day pack off of it. Sometimes I tie it to my day pack. It's easy to put together but isn't "real" small.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Thanks, Barney.  What do you do in Wapiti.  I miss Wyoming so much.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Home builder, help out on a ranch when construction isn't paying the bills.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©