3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who can you say Thank You to  (Read 785 times)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who can you say Thank You to
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
My Father took me hunting and started me when I was very young and taught me alot even though he wasn't a bowhunter.In 1962 when I was nine every Sunday the American Sportsman really inspired me when Fred Bear was on.My fathers best friend Rex actually showed me how to shoot a bow when I was seven.After that I learned alot on my own.All my relatives and friends thought I was truly weird for hunting with a bow .Many times I was the only one in camp that bowhunted.For many years I was alone until I learned to use a computer and found this site .I couldn't believe so many people shared my love for Traditional archery.In our town it seams I'm constantly helping someone get started or setting up there equipment,so many young people are interested in my Bow Museum and want to learn.Thanks ever so much for starting this thread,has to be one of the best yet.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
I can thank my dad for most of the skills I have. We always fixed all of our own stuff, made our own stuff, etc. It's a good way to be self sufficient. My mom was very intelligent and loaded with common sense, yet she knew when to back off and let you learn for yourself. Thanks to the two of them, I have a knack for just looking at something and understanding how it works, or coming up with a solution to a problem.
Dad taught me how to shoot a bow when I was 5. He won many archery tournaments. I never saw him miss by more than an inch or so. I'm mostly self taught as a hunter though. As far as bow building, it started with Dean Torges, and followed with my many friends I met here or over on the other site we all used to hang out at. Still learning every day.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
My brother who passed away two years ago during bowseason.  I had two to look up to and while I love them both the other is an alcoholic so I thank God that I followed the one I did.  My son who is now 32 has been my hunting companion since birth.  I carried him around the Montana mountains where he was born and now we're peers in this sport we both love.

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
My next door neighbor and fellow Sacramento Target Archer, Earl Good, California Archery Hall of Fame, who got me to take up archery on a serious note and taught me to shoot barebow.

Jim Yokum, NAA National Champion and Sacramento Target Archer who taught me to shoot recurve competitively.

Marvin Bowles, owner of Frontier Archery (Oak Park) mid-50s who hired me as a kid and taught me how to make arrows, and other bow tech knowledge.

Joe Herbert, NFAA Senior Unlimited National Outdoor and Indoor Champion several times over, who asked me I I'd like to learn to shoot better and became a close friend and shooting partner over many years.

Dean Pridgeon who was my Master NFAA Certification Instructor who taught me more about shooting form, bow tuning, and instructing archery in a week than I'd learned in the proceeding 40 years.

Plus all the others who along the way who have had the patience and made the time to help me when I was struggling ...
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Think to often the ones that started this passion for many, never get they opportunity to thank or show them gratitude. This is a great topic and never can be expressed enough. I learned a lot from many and also help a lot of new archers myself. The ones responsible for this addiction in my world are  Mr St Charles and Family, and Papadoc. otherwise known as Bowdoc to many. Joe Russo, Lon Scott, Ted Fry, Martin Family, also influenced me from one form or another. All these folks are held to a high regard to my success and drive in the world know as Traditional Archery. Thanks again To all.

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
I would thank my dad - who completed his life's journey with us October 1.  He wasn't a bowhunter, but always took me hunting with him.  When I was old enough to obtain a deer permit, he took me along with his hunting companions.  I often wonder if he even asked them if I could come along.

A WWII service buddy of dads, got me started in archery in 1956. He passed away a year and a half ago.

Thanks for starting this thread - it came at the appropriate time for me to publicly say 'thanks Dad! and thanks Clyde'

Craig
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
This season is my third as a hunter.  My first season I was mentored by my dad's best friend, Brian, who still is my number one man for advice.  He got me going on bowhunting, bought me my first compound and taught me how to basically hunt.  We have so many long emails going back and forth over the past few years... its amazing.  God has also mentored me through this process, teaching my self-sufficiency and blessing me with many gifts (like the red tail I watched kill a chipmunk not 12 ft from me!)  Finally my dad and grandpa... they have been a consistent influence on my life, not just as respectable hunters, but good men.

Great thread.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline oops29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
my daddy and my big brother (both gone now ) always made sure i was welcome to go and i always wanted to go  sure would like to go with  them one more time

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
My father...without a doubt. He exposed us to hunting and even though he would stop hunting regularly himself he always encouraged me. I got him back out there hunting birds a few years ago..would love for him to pick up his old compound again

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
This is good. Lets move it up.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
My dad was a bird and small game hunter, but wouldn't hunt a deer if his life had depended on it. Still, he took me for birds and squirrels, and when I was about 9 or 10, he got me a bow (Indian fiberglass longbow). That really got the juices flowing.
I had an uncle who was an avid hunter, and he introduced me to deer hunting. It was all downhill after that; I was hooked. I hunted with guns for several years before really getting serious about bowhunting, but that little longbow I got when I was little scared the hell out of lots of birds and lizards, and even scored on a few. In the early 70's, I was a 'two season hunter' a la the Bear Archery ads, but by the late 70s it was either bows or muzzleloaders. By the early 80s, the bow took over, and although I have taken a few animals with guns since then, it just doesn't turn my crank. I haven't shot any big game with a gun since about 1995 or so, and probably won't again.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
My Dad wasnt a Hunter, heck his idea of Roughing It was Running out of Ice in the Motel!! God Rest His Soul!!
     Well Said AND Well Done!! There Are some Great Folks in the World!! No Matter What the News Says!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
I would like to thank my wife, Laura. She has always been supportive of my hunting, fell in love with archery, decided to ask me to take her on a bear hunt and now she is my hunting companion. A couple of  years ago a farmer whose land I  hunted some told me about a parcel on the back of their property that was for sale. I mentioned it to Laura, who happens to be the money person in our family, and she never blinked and said, "Let's buy it".   So now we have our own little hunting grounds (23 acres) that we happily hunt in. So, even though we are "empty nesters" we have plenty in common (except politics) that keep us mutually compatible. So, I would like to thank Laura for all she has added to my life. It's been fun and meaningful.

Last week's highlight.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline stumpsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
I would have to say the biggest influence on me was and still is my dad.  He has always been a great role model in hunting and in life in general.  He is the most ethical hunter and person I have ever met.  He taught me a ton of stuff over the years.
And I have to give credit to Tony who has help me tweek my shooting and has me shooting better then ever.  Both of them would and have given up their prime hunting spots to give me an oppurtunity to get a shot.
Semper Fidelis

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
More good stuff.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
....GOD !
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Kool pics  :clapper:    :archer2:

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Great thread. Thanks for starting it.

My Mom and Dad got me an old red fiberglass Bear bow when I was just a little kid and took me shooting what seemed like every nice weekend. While they weren't hunters they always encouraged me and shared in the ups and downs over the years.

I must say that my Uncles in TX: OV, Joe, Dan, Homer and some of our extended family there got me deer hunting as a young teen and the fire hasn't slowed in all these 30+ years since. They took the time to teach some young know nothing kid and treated me like a man and showed me the right way to do things. I will never forget them, the way the treated me, and the love we share. Even today every interaction I have with a young person is influenced by the way they treated me. Thanks!

My hunting partner Adam who has put up with me for years and still humors me by listening.

TBM magazine. When I was searching for something in my hunting I ran across TBM in some store while on vacation and my life was forever changed. Finally! I found what I was looking for.

Trad Gang: To name all the friends that I have made here would fill an entire page! Forget how I even found TG but my family knows so many of you by name without ever having met you they feel like they know you. Feilx, Joe, and all the Droptine guys you are the BEST!

Before I found this site sometimes it felt like I was the only guy who was living this life and boy was I wrong. Such a warm place to be and thanks to Terry and the guys who run this for us.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
I have a list of folks who REALLY deserve THANK YOUs!!!!!

I started hunting and shooting a bow VERY early in life,so it is hard just to say "who" to be thankfull too...

So, I will start with my "renewed" Traditional Bowhunting journey.....

First I would like to thank My VERY Good Friend Joe Skipp!!!

Back in 1999 when I was ready to get back into bowhunting,I decided that it would be the way I started. With a recurve and wood arrows. Through looking around and calling some area archery shops,I was given Joe's phone number. After calling Joe and stopping by his shop. I left with a 1967 Bear Kodiak Magnum and a dozen of Joe's hand made cedar arrows.(more beautiful than any I had ever bought in a store) It was like stepping back in time!!!!! I was a faithful customer of Joe and still am!!! He answered every one of my many questions and helped me many times over the years. We have become VERY good friends and I will always be eteranly grateful!!!!!

Continued.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
Next I would like to thank my "Brother" adkmountainken (Kenny Mowrey)

Kenny has bestowed many gifts upon me over the years... All of them precious,but the greatest of all is his friendship!!! I have thought that I loved the woods and was "in-tune" with nature. But Kenny has taught this old dog many things!!! His pictures and posts leave me in awe,as anyone who has seen and read them knows.

Having Kenny for a Friend and a Brother is truely a gift from the Great One!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©