3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Bear Kodiak - advice wanted  (Read 403 times)

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
Old Bear Kodiak - advice wanted
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
I am looking for an old (Grayling made) Kodiak but I am not sure what model (Hunter or Magnum), AMO, or draw weight.  Plan on using it for hunting whitetails from the ground in the midwest.  Draw length on my wheelie is 29-1/2".  Just getting back into Trad shooting so I hope to find one that is a forgiving shooter. Suggestions?

Thanks

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Bear Kodiak - advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
You know The Compton shoot is comming up In June 15-17 at Bering Springs Mi. There a usualy a lot of used bow there a long with all of the venders with new ones. That way you could try before you buy and give it a good look over. Don't be afraid of the newer Bears. I just bought a Kodiak Mag. and very happy with it. I did sell a "Custom" bow to buy that and the Bear was just as good without the price tag! You might find that your draw lenght will be 27 to 28. My other advice is not to overbow yourself. Around 40-50# at 28" wiil be good enought. I shoot 45# and have no problem hunting and practice.

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
Well out of those two choices the Bear Hunter is more forgiving then the Magnum.  However if your intent on a Bear bow I truly believe the Kodiak Super K Special is the way to go, especialy with your draw length.  The Super K has a longer sight window and draws much smoother then the Hunter and the Magnum.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
That is a wide open question,hoss. Too many verables for anyone to give you advice on the kind of bow you can shoot, the weight you can draw,ect. You have to do your own homework and figure out those things yourself because everyone is different. I agree with the advice on not overbowing yourself. If your shooting instictivly, it will take you a while to get your form down. Go with a bow that feels a tad bit light to you. If your going to hunt with it, find out what your state required draw weight is and make sure you get one at or above that weight. It ain't about how much weight you can pull but rather how often you can hit your mark.

How about a good ole Kodiak? I have a 1965 Kodiak and love it. You will have to step up to get your paws on one of the vintage Kodiaks but they are really great bows  :thumbsup:  .

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©