3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Hunting ... Need Advise  (Read 253 times)

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Hunting ... Need Advise
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:20:00 AM »
This season I took a young cow Elk, about 350 lbs on the hoof, at 25 yds with my 1958 Kodiak Special recurve that I've had since I was 16 ... it was my "Bucket List" Elk.

The arrow was a pass through ... of sorts. 25" protuding from the off-side, and fell out when she ran. She only made it 20 yds before keeling over.

So here is my question for those that have taken Large Game, just how far can I expect my setup to be efficient on an 800 lb Bull Elk?

1958 Kodiak Special, pulls 59#@28" (draw board measured), I draw 28.25".
Arrow: 618 grain w/ 210-gr Silver Flame + 35 gr of insert and weights on Legacy 2018, 19% FOC.

Chrono speed: 163 fps

Accuracy out to 45 yds is not a problem, its penetration potential that concerns me ...

Would like to hear from those with experience on Large Game ... not interested in medium-sized game results, that's not in question.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Hunting ... Need Advise
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
No problem with your setup. JMO
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Yep, no worries at all for any animal on this continent with that set up.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Brian, I've not hunted with a longbow as long as many of these guys here but I will share with you my setup & results for comparison in the 4 years I hunted with it & you can make your own reasonable decisions! (grin)

I hunted with 2 different longbows, both were in the 62" & 56# range for my draw length 27"!All arrows were 480grns-500grains total arrow weight with broadheads. My heads on the 1st animal were 125 grain magnus SnufferSS 125grn-standard insert on a 2016 aluiminum. The 1st year I took a 5-point bull at 26yds with this setup & buried it to the fletchings! Bull went 150yds.

2nd year I shot same bow setup but with 2018 aluminum & a wensel woodsman 125grn head standard insert & took a 6 point bull at 14 yds, animal was quartering to me & arrow hit bull between front leg & brisket straight into his heart. Bull went 250yds.

3rd year I used a Beman Classic carbon arrow with 75grn brass insert & SnufferSS 125grn for a total of 200grn head wt. Arrow wt. was still in the 490grn area for total arrow wt. I took a 6-point at 18yds & a passthrough.

4th year I shot same carbon arrows & head & took a good sized bodied muley buck(26")I shot this deer at 32yds & another passthrough. So I believe you have plenty of horsepower there to take care of any elk, just watch that distance & keepem sharp sir!!!

ElkNut1

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
The distance is not a problem if the accuracy is there.  I've taken elk out to 35 yds with bamboo backed osage bows and had results just like yours.

Keep em sharp and hit where you look.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Thanks for the inputs ... I've shot 5 bulls with a compound and all of them were inside of 40 yds ... most of them inside of 30 yds with the longest being 38 yds on a steep downhill shot, so I see no reason for a bowhunter with any stalking skills to have to shoot beyond 40 yds; I just don't want to find out the hard way that my setup doesn't have enough punch to get to the lungs/heart ... sounds like inside of 40 yds is reasonable for a properly placed shot.
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
Accuracy at 40+ yards is not nearly as much of a problem as having the animal spin, or take a step during the arrow flight time for any number of reasons.  I keep my shots close to ensure clean kills.  Penetration at 45 yards on a good shot will be no problem at all.  When hit in the boiler room, elk die quickly.  Hit them in the wrong spot and they will go for miles.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Your set up sounds fine. I shoot a 65 lb recurve with Easton FMJ arrows tipped with 180 gr, Silver flames. My arrows weigh in at about 525 grains. I get about 2oo fps and every elk I've shot with that set up (3) have been complete pass thrus and the bulls have dies within minutes.

No disrespect to any of the above posters. But I would never shoot an elk with a 3 blade head. I know many do and many have excellent results. I have killed alot of elk in my life ...over 25 years of living and hunting in Montana, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming. In that time I have lost 3 elk...all with 3 blade heads. I have never lost an elk with a cut on contact 4 blade or now my absolute favorite "elk" head the Silver Flame.

But again, heads, arrows, bows, are all personal choice. Shot placement and confidence in your set up are what matter most. Your set up obviously worked on a big cow...it will also work on a big bull.

just my .02 cents

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I would not be worried about penetration but would about distance. Even with a perfectly executed shot the animal may move before the arrow gets there thus leading to a poor hit. Now, this is where hunting experience comes in, not shooting skill but knowledge as to the chances an animal will move after the shot but before arrow arrives, that would be my only concern.
Dav

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
The specs on your bow are identical to the Little Delta bow, which was a 1957 KS as I recall. Anyway that bow had an amazing history.
Check it out.
 http://www.sandcreekarchery.com/ldb.htm

This is one of many write ups.

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the link Bjorn. The LDB is nearly identical in riser/limb layup to my 1958 Kodiak Special, except my Kodiak is the first half of '58, with the white glass. And you are correct in that just picking up this bow you can feel the Mojo. The point made that the LDB/Kodiak Special was a top of the line target bow is spot on ... one of the best bows I've shot, although it does like to stack in the last 2". Great history and eases my mind over the penetration potential at longer distances...and German Kinetics 210-gr Silver Flame is the only broadhead I'd use on Elk.

I've killed a number of Mule Deer and a couple of Whitetail over the 50+ years, plus coyote and bobcat with my 1956 Kodiak Special and 1958 Kodiak Special. If I could figure out how to post pics, I'd put up some of me when I was a kid back in 1959 and 1961 with the Kodiaks and old Fasco.

BTW, I was once a member of Sacramento Target Archers, and worked at Frontier Archery (Oak Park) back in the late '50s and early '60s. My next door neighbor, Earl Good is the one that got me into serious archery and taught me how to shoot barebow.
  http://www.cbhsaa.net/hallfame/bios/earlgood.htm
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Davt:
I would not be worried about penetration but would about distance. Even with a perfectly executed shot the animal may move before the arrow gets there thus leading to a poor hit...
That's always a factor, even with a Whitetail staring directly at you at 15 yds ... just another factor for a seasoned bowhunter to consider, among many others that all go into a successful shot ... My motto is if you are busted, don't shoot; If you miss don't chase; If you hit, wait it out; If in doubt, pass ... there is always another tomorrow.
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I would second the distance comment.  I have shot some elk over the years and I now keep it under 25 yards.  I have had some calm bulls do some crazy evasive stuff that whitetails would be proud of.  Namely dropping 6-12 inches and/or wheeling towards or away.  They are nimble for their size.  I wounded a bull several years ago that flat spun towards me resulting in a sharp quartering-to angle. My two cents.

Offline Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Your setup is more than adequate. I took a bull that was somewhere around 900 on the hoof. Took a chunk out of the humerous and broke three ribs on entry. This was from a 60lb '72 Howatt Hunter. Keep your shots to a resonable distance and use a solid broadhead. If you put the arrow where it needs to go than you will have a dead bull.

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Montanawidower:
I would second the distance comment. ...
Thank you for the bowhunting advice, but I was really looking for advice on penetration potential at 40 yds with different setups and arrow/broadheads. Your experience with a lost Bull Elk on a quartering toward angle along with bow/arrow setup would be much appreciated. What was the distance, what was your setup/Broadhead, where did you think you hit him, what is your best estimate as to why you lost the Bull? Those are the facts I'm looking for.

FWIW, I've done a test on a number of broadheads and very few would I consider adequate for a quartering towards shot, especially in the humerus of the scapula. The German Kinetics Silver Flame was one of the few that I'd accept. If I knew how to post pics, I'd show the results.
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Im a fan of the Magnus Stinger. Killed two elk with the 150 gr 4 blade and have had excellent results.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 01:42:00 AM »
No problem,your in good shape.

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by legends1:
No problem,your in good shape.
I think you are right ... after reading the history of the LDB/57KS, which is nearly identical to my setup, its down to good arrow/BH selection and chosing the right shot.

Thanks to all for the inputs.
Silver Flame Broadheads

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©