3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Jersey 2010 deer thread.  (Read 479 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
New Jersey 2010 deer thread.
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
I saw all the other threads for states and figured we need a dwarf deer thread for the miniature NJ deer we chase. We don't have all that beautiful open land (especially in South Jersey),so our deer aren't as huge as some other states.But we chase them with everything we have. So post your 2010 pics and lets show everyone what we spend so much time hunting for.

And if you can wash the graffiti of those Camden and Newark area deer before you take the pic that would be great    :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Jersey 2010 deer thread.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Ain't No Deer In Jersey! ...  :p  ...
... mike ...  ;)  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Only been out once early season zone 5 saw 3 doe and a bear. No shots. I hold my comments on size and number of deer in NJ.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I had one show up last night just before dark but I couldn't get a shot, the swing set was in the way.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I have been seeing them, just no luck so far.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
Just a question...  There is supposed to be an area in NE Bergen Co. that runs a control hunt.  Its Rockleigh or the Norwood/Northvale corner.

Is it still going on?  I grew up right there
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Good luck getting in on that control hunt. Biggest buck I ever saw was up there in Rockleigh.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Been out 4 times so far. Opening day  early season afternoon and the next Saturday afternoon I had a 60/70 lb doe with 2 spotted fawns under my stand for an hour. Just couldn't bring myself to wack any of them. SteveO [chicken chaser] wacked his first Trad Deer opening day afternoon. A 60 lb doe by herself  Shot it straight down out of his climber out of my tree. Was shooting the Kohannah 58" Kurve I sold him. Deer went 40 yards.53#'s @ 27"s No Mercy head 35/55 Gold Tip Trads.Went out 2 other mornings and didn't see a tail.Of course I worked last Saturday and am working this Saturday. Want to hit WildCat Ridge WMA  Sunday morning early . Have to see Momma wants to go apple picking in the afternoon. I Will keep you good folks posted.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Hunted last Thurs with Bamboo...had one close call with a large doe...seen 7 deer and one bear..a very large bear...

Heading out with Mikey in the morning to hunt all day. Next week I start my one month vacation of chasing critters....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
I have been lucky so far . Size wise he goes 127 lbs. which is big for the pines . A good buddy of mine a few years back won the local big buck contest with an 8 pt. that dressed out at 86 lbs. I've shot several does who were with their yearlings and they ( the does ) dressed out at 55 lbs. I guess we have to be better shots in Jersey , heck anyone could hit a 200 lb. animal .  Best of luck to you Jersey Guys !
Greyfox54

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Hey Greyfox54, Looks like you hit that one right on the button, good shootin. Nice rack considering his weight.

Went out on public land for the first time with Trad, ended up too close to a big bear for me. Stuck around for the PM hunt and got to see lots of white tail going the wrong way.

Might go up to North Jersey tomorrow afternoon and try again.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Nice shot Greyfox54 Now thats what I'm talken about. He must be an import
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Nice buck Greyfox! I hope to start my season next week. Couldn't swing a trip out to Ohio again this year, so I'm going to keep it close and hunt Turkey Swamp. I'm going to get the permit for the Park also and camp/hunt two nights a week until Nov 15, when the campsite closes. That will keep the cold morning rides on my motorcycle to a minimum. Good Luck and be safe out there!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks guys ! I need all the encouragement I can get ! I always worry after the shot but I love it when they do that little jump just like in the hunting videos before they run off . He's a full 10 pointer , he has matching rear stickers about 3" long . My best deer to date in Jersey . I grew up in the pines and love hunting there. No place like it , wish it was like it was 25 years ago when there were so many deer you couldn't believe it and I couldn't hit Kate Smith in the a@@@ with a bucket full of rice . All things are equal . Enjoy your season !
Greyfox54

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Seen deer every weekend since the opener.  Hunting from the ground got busted twice on the way to full draw.  Doe groups have alot of eyes, tough to get the drop on them LOL......... Had a 3 pt. posing every way you'd like at 10 yds. including broadside and looking the other way - couldn't shoot during the Earn A Buck portion of the season   :knothead:  Good Luck guys!
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
When I lived in Jersey I got DOEs in the low 100#'s. Y'all doing the NJ Winter Bow Trad Hunt again This Year.. Boy they where fun, The first 2 years doing them.. This should be Year 4 for them right..

Tom, You ever get back out to sweet hollow to hunt..

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Fred great deer - I hunted the Lebanon State Forest late 70s early 80s and we got deer most times we hunted. Love that place.

Hey deer are small where I live now in NC. 4 year old does average 80# live weight- compare that to the does in the West Virginia Bow Zone commonly at 150# and sometimes more!

I like shooting small deer - got a couple this year I could carry out.

<><
<----------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Yes it is a bonus(small deer) when it's time to do the drag out.If you ever get a chance to hunt the short pines in New Gretna area the pines get only about 6-8 ft tall and the legs on the deer are short. with regular size bodies.They look like lowrider deer.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
from jersey here too,check out my thread hunting small populated area we have some nice deer

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Sal you were fortunate to have hunted north Jersey , those deer can be hawgs!
  Cory I have taken several deer from Lebanon, turkeys lately also .
  Tim I used to trap the Wading River near New Gretna , I know what you mean about lowriders.
  And Swamper I still go back to your thread to look at those giants . Best of luck with them .
Greyfox54

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©