3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Ohio Trad deer of the season  (Read 350 times)

Offline darb

• Trad Bowhunter
First Ohio Trad deer of the season
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
I originally posted this in photography by accident  :confused:  , but wanted to share this here too.

This past weekend was my first real opportunity to get out with my new (to me) Kodiak Magnum 48#@28. I had bought the bow from member Jack Shanks and seemed to shoot it well at targets, but had yet to hunt with it. Jack had been kind enough to throw in some camo limb socks just like my Grandad had on his Bear, and I was using Bear Razorheads that had been my Grandfathers. In addition I decided that I wanted to take a deer without camo and wore a Wool Pendelton just like my Dad and Grandpa had worn.

I intially went down to the National Forest only to have my hunt repeatedly interupted by quad runners. Spent some great time with my Old Man and a good friend before heading back home.

After dropping my kid off at school I went out to go sit in a ground blind in a blow down. Even with a slight drizzle and gentle breeze I managed to blow it on a doe while still hunting to my stand. After getting set up I caught movement and got set for a shot, only to realize it wasnt a deer. I normally don't shoot things I don't intend to eat, but this guy had been excavating under several mature maples in our sugarbush and needed to go. I found anchor and the release felt good. He let out a large growl and ran under an adjacent maple. Thinking I had missed I went to retrieve my arrow and found that the arrow had found his mark. I hit right behind the shoulder and paced off the shot at 22yds. Farther than I usually feel comfortable, but it had felt right. What a confidence booster.

By early afternoon, the wind had died down and the precipitation had ended so I snuck up into a stand located about 7' up in an ash on the edge of some pasture area that transitions between two woodlots. I rarely like hunting out in the open, but the area had a lot of sign.

At around 1850 hours I caught movement and saw two yearling skippers feeding down the draw, with a mature doe. She fed past me and upon going behind a osage bush, I drew. She was quartering away when I hit full draw and upon release I saw the full length shaft bury up to the fletching, a little further back than I had wanted.

She ran about forty yds, then stopped looked back and appeared to be totally undistrubed. She then actually began feeding again and walked off with the two yearlings following her. Her reaction caused me two question what I had just seen, but I knew the hit was lethal. As the light was starting to fade, I got down, but was unable to find the arrow or any blood at all in the tall grass.

I backed out and came back a couple hours later after hearing yotes yipping in the area, and began trying to track her. Still finding no blood I began walking the area where I thought I had heard her crash. After ripping myself apart in the briars I finally found her.

Arrow had entered hitting the liver, exiting through the lung. She went about 70yds before expiring. The bloodtrail left something to be desired but Grandpa's old Razorhead worked today like it worked for him all those years ago.

Feels great to have got it done with a Bear bow, with a broadhead that used to rest in my Gramps quiver while wearing a shirt he or Fred would have worn. One happy hunter and a proud Daddy!

Thanks, Jack for the Bear and to all of you on here who motivate me to do it the Traditional Way.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Ohio Trad deer of the season
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Congrats!!! Great job!
bolong

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Congrats on your chuck and doe, nice shooting!!
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Congrats bud   :thumbsup:

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Great job.  Reckon there was any mojo on that broadhead?
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
cool

Offline Mr Green 740

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Good stuff!
Evolutionary Traditionalist

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Way to go! Great story an pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Keeping the faith
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Outstanding!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Congrates! Great post, thanks for sharing.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
good job buddy.Jack is a great guy to deal with.you couldn't have bought a bow from a nicer guy.good luck this season,steve

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Superb!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Congratulations    :thumbsup:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Man great story.  Congratulations!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Way to go, Congrats!   :clapper:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Awesome!Love my old Razorheads.They do a good job.

Congrats on the freezer meat! :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline darb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks everyone. I am as proud of that doe as I am my biggest buck.  And yes, Bornagain, I think that broadhead had a little Mojo.  In fact seeing that Bear in my hand and feeling that plaid wool against my skin takes me back to when I was a little kid in northern VT.  

I Wish I couldve hunted more with my Grandad, he was just insanely full of hunting, fishing,trapping, and general woodsmanship knowledge.  But the other night it kinda felt like he was there.  Thats what I love about this website.  I read other folks stories and see pictures like that of Mr. LaClair's camp and it kindles those early memories for me.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Congratulations.Nice doe.I have a wall full of older bears that need to see some woods time.Hopefully later this season.Glen

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
:clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement