3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flint Inhumane!!!  (Read 838 times)

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Flint Inhumane!!!
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I got into a heated debate with a fellow hunter in school today that started with the wrongs and rights of dog hunting, that led to bowhunting, and ended up with him telling me that my dreams of using flint arrow heads are inhumane. That got me mad. Next thing you know Im almost yelling at this obviously unknowledable young man about how now, just because society has been led to believe that you need the most high-tech equipment to efficiently kill a deer, the time tested methods of hunting with a stone point and traditional bow is inhumane!!! I then proceded to tell him that he is the one hunting with a bow whos sights "may be on" after a car ride or a broadhead that will "probably" open when you shoot a deer (his words not mine) Im the one whos inhumane!! People these days just dont think before they talk!!!  :mad:    :mad: ...Sorry for the rant I just felt the need to vent
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flint Inhumane!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Trouble is, my friend, whether we like dog hunting or not, it is a legal practice in these here parts, and has been a tradition of many of these families. We choose to use the bow, they choose to run their dogs. We need to have an open mind and accept that.

I don't know why anybody would want to toughen up their venison like that, but, thats my own opinion.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Easy there. He didn't even say which side of the dog hunt he was on....
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Sorry bud... sounds like a bad day.

Hit by motor vechicle is more inhumane -or- even loss of habitat and starvation (you get my point).

What's most important are protecting our rights to hunt, being a positive influence, safety, conservation, and wildlife management.

You may choose to never hunt with person... but more importantly, don't spend any more time thinking about it and mend your friendship with your classmate.

My 2 cents...

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
flint has worked pretty well for a long time.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim in Maine:
Easy there. He didn't even say which side of the dog hunt he was on....
No need to tell me "easy there", I was simply saying that as hunters, we need to be tolerant of the ones who use different tools. Afterall, we are all brothers of the hunt.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Inhumane is breaking your bow out of the closet a week(If you're lucky...maybe more like a day or so) before game day.

The week before archery opens here is awesome.Cob-webby/dusty bows and mismatched arrows coming in all week to my local shop.I even saw a pic of an arrow fletched with 2 feathers and a Vane.(On one of the shop employees' camera phone).THAT's inhumane.

Trad bows and flint heads on the front of tuned setups are not.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Oh I don't mind dog hunting. I was just arguing to sharpen his and my own debate skills. Im open to all hunting and think its good to support the habbit in anyway. I personnaly dont dog hunt, and it ocassionaly ruins my day while hunting the way I hunt, but any hunting is good. I had no intention of even getting to into it until he dropped the inhumane bomb. The heated part only started when he said that. And honestly, it would not bother me if he had a reason to think that. I got angry because he said it without knowing a thing about it. He didn't even know the process of making a stone arrowhead, yet alone how deadly it is.
Aim small, miss small

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
I shot a deer with a stone arrowhead once- and it was the most devastating broadhead wound I have ever seen.

Dead deer quick !

This guy is 'shooting at a snake at the bottom of his boat'. He perceives stone heads as bad; so he is blathering about it; when indeed; he is in the same boat as you. Your both hunters- it must amuse anti-hunters and confuse non-hunters as to why two hunters would be arguing.
 I hope your argument was in private.  

Remind him that he is on the path of technology; and what bow and arrows he will be shooting now- will in 20 years be considered inhumane by the techno group.

While in all that time: trad bowhunters will still be taking animals humanely- as they always have.

Better- avoid confrontation with him.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Sorry you had to go through that. His word choice was poor. Words mean things. He should know better. It sounded quite inflamatory. Most folks drop that kind of word when they are on the losing side of an arguement. It sounded like a personal attack/lecture and not a conversation.

Martin

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
ya know someone should have told them Indians before they killed all those deer and buffalo.   :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Haha I like that Ipcjon2.
Aim small, miss small

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by vtmtnman:
Inhumane is breaking your bow out of the closet a week(If you're lucky...maybe more like a day or so) before game day...Trad bows and flint heads on the front of tuned setups are not.
Precisely ...

We got to where we are in part to crude bows with flint tipped arrows in the hands of expert bowhunters.

Just because we chose to use primitive weapons like our ancestors did that doesn't give us a moral high ground. Until we become the expert bowhunter or the expert rifle hunter, our actions will always be looked upon as inhumane ... the shot could have been better chosen, better placed, etc.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I am not one to hold a grudge. As a matter of fact, Ill probably go in tomarrow and act as if nothing happened. I just wish people would realize what they are talking about and take the time to realize how all of this happened and the history of their hobby as I have and plan to still do. I just see people becoming more kill oriented and jumping right in to something that takes almost no skill to learn, and love like hunting traditionally does. That is when ignorince like this seeps in. To give you an example of that, it took my almost two years of practice to get to a point to where I feel comfortable taking a 20 yard shot, and the fella I had this argument has only owned a bow for a month, and on top of that, he tried to tell me what was inhumane and what wasn't. I think that is what set me off more than him actually thinking its inhumane.
Aim small, miss small

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I guess the way I see it, If you dont have to put in time and effort to learn how to do the thing you love like someone else has, you shouldnt be giving any "pointers" to someone who has about what they do or what they intend to do.
Aim small, miss small

Offline Mojo Rising

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Flint inhumane? Seems to have a pretty good track record the last 10,000+ years!
TGMM Family of The Bow
Morrison ILF

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I would say that staying calm and putting logical points in front of the ignorant is a great way to bring them to a clearer understanding of your point of view.  Arguing with the ignorant is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.  It is totally pointless and eventually you realize the pig is enjoying it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
I read an article years ago, with accompanying microscopic photos, which showed the edge of a surgeon's scalpel and the edge of a flint, maybe obsidian, knife or arrowhead. The stone edge was perfectly smooth. The metal scalpel had pits and flaws in the cutting edge.

Wish I could find those photos on the net to help you.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Science lesson for your friend: obsidium microtome blades are some of the sharpest in the world and used in a host of medical facilities for microscopic dissection of tissue of one cell thickness. There are also some blades made of flint as well.

Yes sir, the same natural material arrowheads are made of.

My 2 cents worth
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Everywhere I look......I see dumb people! LOL
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©