3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flint Inhumane!!!  (Read 837 times)

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flint Inhumane!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Learn how to knap stone and make yourself some heads, kill a deer and that will end the argument.  Until then he will always have the edge based on ignorance.  Proof with success will shut him up.
Bob Urban

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
The mix of Osage self bows and stone heads seems to work because from I have seen minor weight fluctuation in arrow weight don't make much difference in accuracy at reasonable distances.  I will admit to being a bit prejudiced on the subject, not because I am a 100% primitive shooter myself, I have admired others that are experts at it. It is an art form in all aspects when done by those that are proficient with all of the little details.  I do have this amazing piece of pignut hickory that just aches to kill something with an obsidian point.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
As long as you not trying to kill HUMANES w/ them,then they aren't INHUMANE!!!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Brian made a great point.  A couple actually.  The only mistake you made was getting angry.  Let him think what he wants and you what you want.  Talk,   maybe you can add info to his knowledge base (maybe not)  but don't get angry.  

Many today are instant experts after reading a few articles and buying an instant shooting machine.  They know far more (tongue in cheek here) than anyone that has hunted 50 years but still uses that old stuff.

In the end, you are gonna do it your way anyway.
ChuckC

Offline The Broadhead Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
this reply is for Idaho Curt
I test fly all arrows that I hunt with steel and stone.
I have a local sorce for a foam that is about like a Rineheart 3d for hardness.
I have some stone point arrows that have 50 shots
with no damage. It's fun to let people who have never shot one have at it.
of corse I sharpen all heads steel and stone befor hunting it's the only responcable thing to do.
as for size and weaght it comes with skill level.
I call my self an Archer.

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
I spoke to the other kid today and first apologized for losing my temper. I then asked him what led him to believe this. He proceded to tell me it just made since. Instead of getting angry again for not only his lack of knowledge but now his lack of common since, I took the advice from you guys, stayed cool,  and suggested do some research about what a stone point can do ( I suggested he look here for that). He told me he would and that he'd tell me about what he found out tomorrow. I guess well see if he holds true to it.
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
...If it wasn't for "STONE" points .. Our branch on the family tree might not of grown... Think about that one !!!
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
There are guys on here that make sized, matched,weighted and super sharp points. You get what ya pay for once again. I would guess to get 6 weighted within 20 grains and sized to within an 1/8 inch would probably cost 30-40 bucks a head, maybe more for that many matched.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Sometimes it is hard to undo years of good advertising driven into the heads of people who choose not to think for themselves.

Hope yo u bring him venison jerky served on a stone fork.   :bigsmyl:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
If as you say, "I was just arguing to sharpen his and my own debate skills."  Guess what?? You just lost!!  You let someone push your buttons, and you blew your cool!  Blowing up, getting personal, and losing your cool doesn't help you provide a positive view of your side of the discussion.  It doesn't matter whether it's during a debate team exercise, a talk with the local tree hugger, the vegan down the street, or the ultra modern hunter, as soon as you get red faced, loud, or very defensive-they've got you.

Flint has killed more animals (and humans) than all types of commercially made broadheads combined!!  Obsidian is one of the sharpest materials known, surpassing even a surgical scalpel.  The placement of the point is more important than the material it's made from.  A well placed shot kills quickly.  A poorly placed shot is a slow death-almost inhumane-whether stone, fixed blade, or expandable.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Knap up a flint head for him as a gift and ask him to be careful handling it but to try the edge out.  Once he sees how easy it is to cut himself he may have a different opinion on stone points.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Just tell him that, if Geronimo had shot a Bob Lee with Wensel heads, we would all be speaking some kind of native language.    :biglaugh:
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
I see it this way. Stone points been used for 10's of thousands of years, The mech. points what 3 decades. Trad type Bows been used since the time The First man made one… Wheelie bows since the 60'eds. The best thing to do is go hunt with that person and let Him see first hand how Deadly a Stone Tip is..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©