3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stump Shooting= Split Arrows  (Read 434 times)

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stump Shooting= Split Arrows
« on: May 22, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
How many of you go stump shooting with carbon arrows and hit hard wood causing your insert and blunt to push back in the shaft and split your shaft? Is there anything you have done to help eliminate that? At $5.00 an arrow or more, stump shooting can get expensive.

Thanks,
Boomerang

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stump Shooting= Split Arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Slipping a 1.5-2 inch piece of aluminum shaft over the front end of the carbon shaft works wonders...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
I second the aluminum shaft over the carbon - although 1" is enough.  Makes carbons very tuff.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
What size aluminum shaft are you using for which carbon arrow and how are you attaching the aluminum shaft??

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
Shoot rotten stumps.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Bohning Powerbond, Gorilla Glue, JB Weld, they've all worked pretty well when I use 'em. As far as size is concerned 2117 seems to be pretty good at fitting your standard carbon arrow. Not always though...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
What kind of glue are you using on your inserts? I have been using AAE fastset gel on my inserts and carbon express arrows and have yet to have an insert come out or push in.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
I think those 100 grain brass inserts help to strengthin the tips....
Never had one of those split a shaft....
   2nd use AD trad hvys, last week I just shot over a Javie 3D @ 40yds and hit a rock hard enough to make the arrow bounce back and jam the fletching into the Javie....ruined the field tip, butt did not hurt the AD trad hvy, and it had the basic aluminum insert.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
The first thing that has to be done to insure that this doesn't happen is use an ASD (arrow squaring device) to make sure that the point sits flush with ALL the end of the arrow.I then use 1" pieces of 2020 shafts on my axis 340's as a footing. I glue them on with 2 part epoxy. Make sure you chamfer the end of the tube that faces the nock so that they pull from the target easily. Makes a superb arrow shaft bullet proof. Frank

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
yep, i just made up a few footed Easton Carbon Excels, there already bombproof as is, but i added to them a little...
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©