3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Climber making me nervous  (Read 511 times)

Offline LongBow'erman

• Trad Bowhunter
Climber making me nervous
« on: October 07, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Anyone else get this way? I've been hunting for 20 years and just recently I have been getting more nervous while hunting out of a climbing stand. I don't know why, but the other morning I thought about climbing down about an hour after daylight just because I was uneasy, mainly while standing up. I have a Summit and wear a safety harness, but can't shake this feeling. I don't have a problem with ladder stands, just a climber. I still plan on hunting out of my ladder stands when I can, but  I'm seriously thinking about buying a good ground blind for public lands and staying planted on the ground.
What do you guys think about pop up ground blinds?

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Climber making me nervous
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
If it's falling you fear then take a waist belt and a piece of rope and tether yourself to the tree along with the harness.Maybe you should do some ground pounding and then get back in the saddle after a month or so.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
I was the same way until I got a Treewalker ,It is a really solid climbing stand.

Although I do have a double bull ,But I do have to say I have been busted in the double bull more times than not ,In public land I have had old geezers walk up to my double bull and say "What are you hunting in there kid " I'm 60 ,What an insult .

You really have to branch your blind in ,I like hunting off the ground in a gilley suit (SP).
Now you're talking ,I've had deer within one foot of me,I've had a squirrel half with up my back. The suit is a lot of fun ,But you still have to play the wind .

I spent last Saturday in climber from 12 to 7:30 PM ,The thing that makes me nervous though ,I was in a strong tree ,The wind started blowing and rocking me,now that makes me nervous ,Because I've heard about trees going down ,And we have had a lot a rain .

You Gotta do what ever you feel comfortable with,It doesn't matter what I think or what I feel ,It's what you are comfortable with.

Here's another thought ,If you are uncomfortable in your tree ,You're going to make uncomfortable shots !

Think about it

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I always felt more comfortable in a ladder than a climber. I practiced shooting from the sitting position. Never used a ground blind just a stool with good cover. If your that uncomfortable then that's when accidents happen.

Keeping the Faith
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline daniel reynolds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
If it will make you feel better the fall will not hurt at all I promise its that sudden stop. Good luck to you and hope you get over it.
Obama,what a joke!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
In my experience they work great for turkeys, not so great on deer.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 03:47:00 AM »
I had trouble with ladders and climbers both. After I bought my safety harness I was able to hunt from them. Always feel shakey at first but it goes away for me. Hunt from the ground if you wish. A lot of deer are taken from the turf.
Good luck.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
When in a tree, I hunt exclusively from a climber.

I`m connected to the tree from start to finish.
I have three summit climbers and I have full confidence in them. I rarely get up over fifteen feet, and always try to have some cover around me so I don`t feel so exposed.

For what it`s worth, where I`m at, deer are very well aware of their surroundings. A new ground blind appears, all brushed in and hidden, and the deer will NOT come near it. Leave it out so they get used to it, and it will be gone when you go to use it. Same with hang on stands. You have to carry it in, and carry it out, or it will go home with someone else. This is why I began using climbers exclusively.

With twenty years of experience, maybe you are in tune with "things" and you are getting a warning or something. Listen to your gut...your instincts. When the uneasy feeling goes away, try your climber again.

I have gotten all set up, strapped in and ready to wait for game, only to have an "uneasy" feeling come over me. I don`t argue with it...I get down when it happens. (I have done this several times through the years)

Being perched above the forest floor gives me a chance to sit back and relax. I count my blessings in peace and quiet. But the ground is good too...I can feel the heartbeat better.

Trust your instincts.  :campfire:

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
Longbow, I have been there my friend. I know exactly what you are talking about, I had a API Grand Slam very expensive climber, very comfortable, and I just got to the point that I didn't feel safe anymore. It's not fear of heights either, I hunt from ladder stands that are 18' high to the shooting rail and that doesn't bother me in the least.
Long story shortened, I sold my Grand Slam and bought 2 ladder stands. I've got a 15' 2-man Ameristep and an 18' Big Dog ladder stand. Both are extremely comfortable and I don't have that nervous feeling anymore.

I think what did it for me was I made the mistake of reading an article about an older fella who was climbing down, his platform broke, he spent the night hanging upside down and almost died.
I never felt comfortable in a climber after that.

I also have pop up blinds, but I haven't tried shooting my recurve out of it yet. I don't think it's big enough? You would probably need a double bull if you intend to use a recurve out of it, or make small cubby blinds on the ground from available natural cover.....that's what I do and I've killed lots of deer and turkey this way.

Good luck, and be careful!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
"With twenty years of experience, maybe you are in tune with "things" and you are getting a warning or something. Listen to your gut...your instincts. When the uneasy feeling goes away, try your climber again."

That is good advice.

I have zero reservations about the integrity of my Lone Wolf climber. However, I take the ascent and descent very seriously. Never be in a hurry when climbing.

I would buy a good ghillie suit before a pop up.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Thats why I went with the treesaddle.  I have never felt more comfortable up in a tree.  Heck, I don't think you could fall out of it if you tried.  Check out "Trophy Line Treesaddle" on youtube.  There is one clip where the guy TRIES to fall out of it.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
If your gut is telling you not to use it - DON'T - maybe it's ready to give way - don't ever second guess yourself. Us the hang on if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
My API climber is ver steady.  The platform is attached to the seat via rope and the seat is ratcheted to the tree once up there so it is impossible to fall until the ratchet is removed.  Sometimes its the tree or the trees bark that make it shifty.  Find what makes you comfortable.  As far as the pop ups go, they are great if they are out there for weeks and weeks on end which you cant do here in Michigan on public land cause it willbe stolen within 24 hours.  Too bad people are like that huh.  Good luck to you and be safe whatever you choose

Ganzer

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Climbers are like motorcycles, don't ride scared. Gotta keep the respect, but "fear" is a good way to fall.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
well said Bear!
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Hit the ground and build natural blinds.  They work a lot better than pop ups for deer.  If your nervous there is a reason.  Can't fall far with both feet firmly planted on terra firma.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
I call it the "willys" & get the feeling now & then about riding my motorcycle. What I've found to work is to be especially careful recognizing ANY possible danger plus slowing down enough to compute every element.

Had the same feeling re climbers. Early models did fall with me more than once. Experience. My 2 alums now are rock solid. Still, I'm very cautious & slow checking & rechecking both halves. Also, have a visualized plan to jump if necessary in an emergency. You control it & it can't control you. Wear safety belt.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Climbers make me nervous too, I just don't like them anymore. I much prefer Chippewa wedge-loc climbing sticks and stand, or similar systems over anything I've tried. If I don't feel locked on the tree I know my shooting will suffer. Ladder stands are fine once you get them up, but they can be a bit unsafe to put up, especially by yourself.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Don't get high up for a while. 8 to 10' is plenty high enough with good background. You will be able to see better even at that height than on the ground.

Offline darb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Longbowerman,
Not much point hunting if you arent enjoying it.  I used to be that way about hunting on the ground, never felt comfortable- not for safety reasons, but just the restricted view. So I started climbing trees.  Have had API's, Summits and a couple Lone Wolf stands.  LW have become my favorite hands down. But somedays I dont feel confident climbing like I used to.

LV2Hnt, I used to feel the same way about LW's- considered them to be (and still do) one of the best engineered stands, until couple years ago when the top (seat)of my alpha climber split completely in half while descending.  Had I not been clipped in, I wouldve surely fallen.  Still hunt from LW, but am a little uneasy about it. Remember they are cast pieces of aluminum so like you said take the ascent and descent very seriously.
After that incident I have invested more time into making natural blinds, and using natural terrain/deadfalls. If I don't "feel" like climbing I will enjoy myself on the ground now more, just with less of a field of view.
Whatever you choose, please use a safety harness religiously, it saved me.
Also I have been informed that statistically far more injuries occur with ladder stands than others, but I forget where I saw that documentation. TMA maybe?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©