3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowyer Mistake  (Read 961 times)

Offline Riverbend

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyer Mistake
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all the positive comments, the bow is a three piece takedown, so indeed the bowyer could make me some new limbs. I do understand that mistakes happen, I will just have to see how it turns out.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
I want to thank Mudd for his insight. I can't imagine ever having enough funds to even consider a $1000 bow, but my first thoughts/emotions reading it was "What else might be wrong if his QC isn't any better than that on a backwards tiller?"

However, in reading Mudd's thoughts and the others comments that sanding glass is how it's fixed...well, had he just been a bit more on his game on this one, he'd have caught that error at the shop and done the exact same "fix" before he sent it to you & you'd never have known!  :)

Good luck with the results being as you wish!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
Personally, I think a new bow would be in order or a 10 year warranty on the original.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
I sand glass all the time no worries have done it to .40 glass and still fine as long as its the belly of the bow.
-just add effort.

Offline First White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
I don't build bows, but $1000.00 asking price for a bow, and No Q.C. ? Not a rear craftsman

"Quick Fix" , do it correct the first time. Check your work if you say your a Craftsman!!
My $.02

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
If it's a three piece takedown, why not just swap the limbs?  

I'd bet the mistake was them being marked wrong.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
John,you got a great deal from Herb unfortunately not everyone is that lucky. As much as I love my all zebrawood 3pc had I know I couldnt get another set of limbs for it I would have bought another 1 pc and saved $150.00...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Sounds to me like the limbs were marked wrong, Reversed... Had it happen more than once. I thought this was a 1 pcs. bow and yes it would have to be sanded to get tiller right. But a 3 pcs. reverse the limbs as they were intended, send them back to have the lettering changed when you have time.Give your bowyer a break.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Several really good bowyers have already said that they sand glass. I won't lay claim to being the end all of this conversation but I sand glass on every bow I build to fine tune and tiller. Micrometer in hand while Ido it.

I will plead guilty to having made the same mistake once in my bow building carear. How it happenied I will never know but it did . From that time foreward I swore it would never happen again. I check double check and tripple check just before the bow is mailed. It can happen even in the fine sanding of the finishing process so it has to be constantly checked during the building process.

I have also cut a riser on the wrong side and ended up with a left hand bow . I was building that one for myself./ Stuff just happens.

I would bet that bowyer slows down , just enough to check tiller from now on because that is just embarrassing. Especially on a high end bow. But it does happen. There should be no harm done as long as you get a perfect bow back , just like you like and ordered it. Relax and give the man time to fix it. God Bless you, Steve

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
I agree with most others in the fact that the bowyer is entitled to make a mistake.  That being said, for that price the bow should have never made it to you like that.  I think for that amount of money there should have been some Q.C.  I also don't agree with just sanding the limbs and sending it back.  You ordered a new bow at your specs and that's what you should receive.  Not one that's been shipped back and forth and sanded and jerryrigged and probably won't be the correct weight when done anyway.  But, mistakes do happen, give the guy a chance to make it right.  You never know he may make you a new bow.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
I hope he doesn't read this thread.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
How much less should the brace height of the lower limb be on a split tillered bow? (Hope I asked that right) I assume 3-under tillered limbs have the same brace height.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Buckeye Trad Hunter:
I agree with most others in the fact that the bowyer is entitled to make a mistake.  That being said, for that price the bow should have never made it to you like that.  I think for that amount of money there should have been some Q.C.  I also don't agree with just sanding the limbs and sending it back.  You ordered a new bow at your specs and that's what you should receive.  Not one that's been shipped back and forth and sanded and jerryrigged and probably won't be the correct weight when done anyway.  But, mistakes do happen, give the guy a chance to make it right.  You never know he may make you a new bow.
I have to agree here. For that kind of money a simple tiller check would have been easy. Mistakes do happen, the tiller on a bow is pretty important. My vote would be a discount for your trouble and a set of limbs that are to your specs. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
I won't pretend to know what it takes to make a 1000 bow, but I do believe at that price you should get your money's worth. Heck I expect a perfect bow when I spend half as much.
For a simple game, this traditional sport sure is pricey sometimes.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Calm in, calm out. Don't settle. It'll get fixed to your satisfaction I'd bet w/o problems.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Every one makes mistakes. It is how the mistakes are handled that matters in the end.
 I ordered a custom bow from a well known boyer (2nd one I had bought from him) come in with what looked like air pockets in the riser finish. I called him about it and he told me how to fix it. Needless to say he lost a customer.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Even if the weight is hit when all the sanding is done, can removing a lot of glass throw the bow out of its design benefits and make a worse shooting bow for the design?  Perhaps with a thick core it would not matter as much, but I would think that there is a possibility of an imbalance there with a thinner cored bow.  Where is the center on the bow mentioned, is the bow cut out upside down.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I've wondered that also,,, if you sand one limb to bring it into tiller when no pressure is being exerted to the string by the shooter, will it still bend evenly with the non-sanded [thicker] limb when the bow is at full draw???

I can possibly see sanding both limbs "equally" in an attempt to bring down the over-all draw weight of a bow, BUTT, sanding only one limb???   :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Be happy you even got a bow. I sent a Montana bowyer $710.00 and didn't even get a bow.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
As everyone said it will work out fine and you will have the bow you dreamed of. is just a few day's
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©