3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowyer Mistake  (Read 960 times)

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyer Mistake
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 05:03:00 AM »
I can just say I bought a Black Douglas for something over 600 pounds(English money) and strung it using the behind the leg method...being nbew to recurves I managed to twist the limbs...
Took it back to Sid and told him what I had done.
He kinda told me how stupid I was then went to the shop and gave me new limbs that he had and laughed it off...
For the money I spent I expected good service but was ready to pay for my stupidity but didnt have to...my next bow will come from him again.
What I am trying to say is I would like a new bow if I was you.
It will always be in the back of my mind even if he fixed it.
But I have to add that I dont know anything about bow building so he probably can fix it and fix it propper ... $1000 is a lot of money to me so after having to save I want what I paid for.
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
I recieved a bow from south texas (hybrid longbow)with file marks and a dished contour on one side of upper limb, and wrong lenth. I ordered 70 inch and got a 68. He offered to build another or I lose 50% cash.after seeing hiw work, I said no to both and kept bow for display.

yes mistakes are made in the build but the worst mistake is in quality control, dont ship it without a final inspection.
Beetle kill, Usa.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
For a high price like that, I would want a new bow, not a fixed bow. This isn't a 300 dollar second hander. With the prices commanded by todays top bowyers (worth it, don't get me wrong) you should indeed get what you paid for.  Mistakes happen, thats understandable. But if YOU are questioning whats happening here, did you get what you paid for? A bow that MIGHT be fine?  He should offer a new bow with no arguement whatsoever. It was his mistake and if he is a man of pride, he will make good on your decision.
David M. Conroy

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Did I actually read "give the BOWYER a break" in the threads above? , At over a grand? Thats alot of money for most of us.  That comment REALLY really hit me hard.  I hope it was meant in a different way that I am taking it. I will try to keep an open mind on that one.
David M. Conroy

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
A new bow, because the lettering was reversed????? Do any of you, not bowyers, Have any idea of all the sanding, filing, fit and feel materials, equipment,that goes into your $1000 (custom??) bow. If this or any bowyer catches this error and corrects it before sending it out, do you still qualify for a NEW BOW??? Is $1000 bow the number that makes a bow a "Custom"???? and your intitled to be more criticle at this point????

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
$1000 is a lot of money for a bow. You buy what you can afford. Some used custom bows are better that some new bows. If that used custom has a scatch or lettering worn off is the bowyers still responsible to replace that lettering?????
Custom is way over used. Most are standard bows with Options. Just because you take a standard bow $700 and add exotic woods, snake skins, carbon and what ever and its upto $1200 does not make it custom. still a STANDARD with options.Most custom anything I've seen have no lettering or numbers written on them that can be seen and can cost as much as 4X as standard ( Gun, Cars, Houses.)

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Riverbend did you shoot it? I would have shot it, it may be the best you ever shot.LCH

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Talk about Bowyers having to walk a thin line. I've got to say from reading the miles of threads extolling the virtues of the service and craftsmanship from the Bowyers here I am a bit surprised by this thread....We are all human and make mistakes. This Bowyer said he would fix his? Bobs right this error could have been discovered before he shipped it fixed then sent. Other than the turn around time shipping and receiving, what's the difference?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
You're right Bob, I stand corrected.
 Any new bow should be replaced no matter what the price if that is what the customer wants after getting a flawed bow. It was NEW, not used. Of course the bowyer is not responsible for second hand stuff, thats why I said just that.
 I don't care what you're excuse would be. If it were you, and you did all that work and spent the time and customers money on materials and made a mistake....thats your mistake Bob. If you caught it before you sent it out, good for you.  But if he finds the mistake and is not happy with whats going on...you took his money and gave him a bow that is not right. Yes, he should get a new bow IF that is what he wants. If he's willing to let it be fixed. thats great for both. Which by the way, I would probably do myself.
 But if that guy wants a new bow, paid for it, and then gets something else that he is unsure of...damn right. Build him a new one. You know the other would sell anyway.
 I'm sure you're not happy with me and we will never agree on this, that's too bad cuz I LOVE your stuff. Got one of yours hanging right by the bed! No matter what your response, I'd help you drag out an elk any day if you needed it.
David M. Conroy

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Just for clearification    :saywhat:    Bob Morrison is NOT a Montana Bowyer... I'm sure Bob was just expressing his feelings on this issue and is in No Way involed in this bow....

I have never had any type of issues with Bob's Bows and would gladly have many more of his if I could afford new bows and had more disposable $$.

Gene    :thumbsup:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Bob, I understand how you could see this differently than most.  But, I'm with dave on this.  Regardless of the price, if someone orders a new bow, whether it be custom or standard with options or whatever you choose to call it, then he or she should get a new, quality bow just as he or she ordered.  I'm sorry but just as with anything else in life, it's not the customers fault that the manufacturer screwed up and the manufacturer should be held responsible.  I stated earlier to give the guy a chance to make it right before throwing him to the dogs.  I believe he does deserve a chance to fix the mistake but there is no excuse for no quality control on a bow that costs that much money if you're truly getting what you pay for.  Personally I'd want a new bow sent to me the way I ordered it.  

By the way, if they're just standard bows with options, then why does it take so damn long to get'em?  :biglaugh:   I'm just kiddin with ya.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Just for clarification, no one is attacking Bob.  He's just the voice of reason that brings us all back from the lynch mob mentality on this one.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
Yup, no prob with Bob. Just talkin'!
David M. Conroy

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
This is just my opinion but situations like this are why more and more people are opting for "off the rack" stuff.  If you get it and something is not to your satisfaction, you send it back for another.  Any of the good archery retailers will bend over backwards to make sure you are happy.  That's the way it should be.  

Warranties are there for "fixing" stuff that shows up AFTER shooting it for a while.  If it is wrong from day one, before an arrow is even sent through it, I think it should be replaced if that's what the customer wants.  A few of these, and the bowyer will make sure things are right before the bow leaves the shop.  The customer shouldn't have to be the quality control dept, especially for a thousand dollar bow.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
It is not my bow, but I know the feelings of the bowyer.And I can guarantee that I would not replace a bow just because the writting was reversed. I would change the writing.A flawed bow would be another item.  If it would get to the point of demanding a new bow, I would return your full price of the bow. Good luck with your new bowyer.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
I think this entire conversation is a bit on the rediculous side if the only thing wrong is that the top and bottom limb were mis numbered. I really never considered that because on my bows the window cutout makes the top limb different than the bottom limb in appearance. If the limbs interchange and its simply a number change then this conversation should not even be taking place.JMHO> God Bless you all and have a wonderful day, steve.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
If that's the issue then why didn't the bowyer just say that?  Strip the finish, change the writing, and refinish, that's acceptable.  He just marked the wrong limb, for that I could live with the quick fix on the bow.  Sanding and shaving limbs on a bow that was built wrong(which is what I thought happened), that's a whole different story.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Me too, I read that the bowyer said he would be sanding glass to fix this. Go back and read here fellas. Writing on limbs is not the issue from the bowyers response. That would be ridiculous, and I would have no prob swapping limbs. Or the bowyer could refinish...I would be embarrassed for this mistake if it were me who made the bow and would demand the bow back to refinish for free.
David M. Conroy

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
If I ordered any new bow from a reptuable bowyer I expect it to be right.I would not spend 1,000 bucks on a bow I had not researched.With that done and the Bowyer has the money I expect what I paid for a quality 1,000 dollar bow .Tillered correctly.I would not be willing to except anything less.
  I know Bowyers have a demanding job to satisfy the customer But I would have to save a very long time to buy a 1,000 dollar bow and trust me I would have many more hours work in it than the bowyer. If I wanted a badly tillered bow I would have spent much less money and got what I paid for.RC

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
It is possible that the limbs won't work that well reversed, some designs wouldn't work that way well even if they are a three piece, due to the way the centershot is adjusted during tiller. I would ask for more "even" tiller if the bowyer wanted to re-tiller it, 1/4 seems like a lot of tiller,
I've been having better luck with even tiller, with split finger draw myself that is. I've checked a few of my fixed tiller 3 piece longbows and there around 1/16 positive.
If the bowyer wants to re-tiller it, then maybe the limbs weren't switched and miss marked?
But I would go with the Bowyer's wishes, he knows the most about it, lets hope. These things happen.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©