3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs in Michigan  (Read 324 times)

Offline lovethehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Hogs in Michigan
« on: October 08, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Has anyone seen or shot a feral hog in Michigan. I have seen alot of sign on my family property but havn't seen any yet. I have not had much opportunity to look either.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
I live in the thumb area, no signs of them here (not hearing any stories either) what area of the state are you seeing sign of them ?  I couldn't imagine them in the northern half, I would think the southern half with all the farming will be where we eventually see them.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
The state has issued a map of reported sightings and killings, but I'm sure there's more. The good thing the map does give you an idea of where it's kinda concentrated. As far as personal experience goes, I haven't noticed any at our gratiot county camp but as you can see from the map, it's not short it's hogs.I haven't heard of any over in Almont either but it shows 3 kills. Here's the link:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2009FSMap_324708_7.pdf

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Acording to the map from the dnr hey say they are where we hunt but I have never seen one or talked to any landowner that has. But if I do I will do my part to stop them
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline MP1SG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I have called the DNR for more specific information but they will not give it up. I cannot understand the reluctance to give specific locations, these critters do extensive damage! I have seen what deer, and raccoon will do to crops hogs take destruction to a whole new level. I hate to speculate but deep down in my gut I get the feeling the DNR wants the population to grow so we can have another game species to charge license fees for.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
A big bore was just killed over by Chelsea this week.  It had tusks and all so not just your typical farmers stray pig.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by MP1SG:
 I hate to speculate but deep down in my gut I get the feeling the DNR wants the population to grow so we can have another game species to charge license fees for.
I too wonder the same thing !
Dan

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
What kind of pig sign are you seeing? Hog rooting looks like a bulldozer at work. There are a few pigs out there but the numbers are way small. With the number of hunters in MI and trail camaras working year round you would think they would be seen but you only hear of one or two a year.
lll

Offline MP1SG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
I haven't seen any in my area but I am north of the main sighting area. But, having worked hog farms and seen first hand what they can do to a yard when they break out of the pens I can only imagine what they can do to a winter wheat field in fall or early plantings in the spring.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
I think it is a first strike campaign, like the CWD program. Make sure everyone believes they are there, then if one does get out there, everyone is doing their part to eradicate them. We don't need them, farmers don't want them running wild. Some goobers have it figured out that if they get a few loose in the woods, the way they reproduce, they will have something to hunt all year round.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Last year my son and I got news that hogs were seen on the 40 acre paintball field outside of Cheboygan, we know the owner and he gave us permission to hunt on his property, we didn't see any hog signs   but I know people that live around this area have seen some at night when driving down the rural roads around there! There is a fenced hunt preserve not far from the paintball property and rumor is that some hogs may got out of there can't confirm it though!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline lovethehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Hey guys, I it does look like a bulldozer went though. I am surprised to see so much rooting since the spring.

So here is the scoop...Saturday, October 9, 2010. 6:30pm. I am waiting in my stand for the unsuspecting whitetail to show up, from the east I can here and awful lot of noise. More than what a deer normally would make. I am proved wrong as a little 6pt shows himself heading my way on a run that should bring him by at 14 yards. Perfect, but he moved through to quickly for my comfort level. He stopped a turned to the north about 25 yards out. I had a small opening, evidently to small. My arrow was deflected mid course by an unseen branch and was no longer a threat to the buck. I stood there watching the buck walk away unharmed when more noise got my attention from the east. The first little guy was jet black, I'm guessing 50-75 pounds, followed by two larger pigs that were a chocolate brown and another small black on. They were coming down the same run. The pigs stopped short, 50 yards of so, and the larger two got into some kind of disagreement. They were squeeling and pushing each other around. One small one used a tree to scratch itself like a cow would. Then as quickly as they came they went back to the east. I am 100% positive abut what I saw. They do inhabit this piece of riverbottom south of Big Rapids Michigan. I got about 20 seconds of video, but all you can see is dark colored object moving in the brush. If I get any good pics or shoot one I will post it.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
I might be of the minority, but I say let them breed.  It will give all of us more opportunities to hunt different game, and anytime there is more to hunt it is a good thing.  Now I can also see the other side of the issue where it will put one heck of a hurt on a farmers field, so maybe they (farmers) will be more receptive to allow guys to hunt their farms to eradicate the hogs that are causing damage to their fields.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline lovethehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Grapes, I am leaning more toward your side of mind, but also agree that the farmers could be in trouble if they get out of control. I know I will do my best to make them into bacon! Year around to make it even better.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
If your seeing em - you are too late! they are there and embedded. I hate to say it I would love to have em to chase but the farmers do look at it differently and I cannot blame em. It does impact them in the wallet. Really a double edged sword that is alot sharper on the farmers side than mine!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Wow, I'm surprized. As damaging as hogs are to habitat, we would want them to make our whitetail habitat even worse? My tiny biology degree tells me this would be a disaster. Kill them on sight, don't give them a chance. Why jeopardize our hunting and agriculture for a pig? It would make more sense to go shoot one behind a fence on a game ranch or travel south.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Maybe I need to change my thinking to "at least I will have something to hunt when all the deer are gone to chronic waste disease or T.B. "   Nope, I agree with owlbait.
Dan

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
owlbiat look at Georgia or anywhere else with pigs? I see no problem with the hutners down there having super whitetail hunting along w/the pigs to hutn throughout summer "off" season. They are damaging no doubt - agree with you there but not too bother a whitetail.
Heck most of the areas w/pigs have a ton better deer hutning than I do here on the coast of NC. Just a counter thought. Really bad for farmers so kinda rough to wish for em!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline MP1SG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
Being a farm community kid still living in the farming area I can see bad things happening if we let them go. What I couldn't understand is that MDNR would not give out specific information on locations despite declaring the species "invasive" and calling upon all hunters to shoot them on sight; what gives?

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
j-dog, I think a lot has to do with the type of terrain and habitat, maybe even the climate. Hogs destroy habitat as it is. What would the deer hunting be like without the hogs? They've had them for a long time, and I'm glad they do. Its a great place to hunt when the weather is cold up here, but I'd rather go to hunt them then have them here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©