3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sold...thanks  (Read 401 times)

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
Sold...thanks
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Have a TD BW 62 51/28.  Have played around with various brace heights and nock heights and it's noisy.  I have wrapped the strings at the loops??  I was looking for any suggestions.  My Zippers are way more quiet??  Has anyone used limbsavers??  Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!!!

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sold...thanks
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Lots of things you can try.  I haven't used Limbsavers yet, but I have a couple of customers who swear by them.  Here are some ideas

2 pair of silencer, set at 1/3 and 1/4 of the string length
Strap on or slide on bow quiver
Heavier arrows

Which silencers are you using?  With all the choices, it wouldn't cost much to try something different.  Cat whiskers, beaver fur, woolie whispers, and lamb's wool are a few of my favorites.

Good luck.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
The single best thing that I did was switch to a B50 Dacron string with wool silencers at the 1/3 and 1/4 ans wrap the ends.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
You have to change the standard D97 string with a skinny string:D97-D10-8125-TS1.Many sponsors here make dream string.More performances and much less noise,with out using a Dacron....
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Then..... you can make all the other things,but you really need to replace the factory string.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
my wodw likes about a 9" brace,how much do your arrows weigh?

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I use limbsavers at the fade outs and I think it helps to put string wax on the take down pins and on the face of the riser where the limbs touch.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Skinny string and 4 silencers=silence.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Limbsavers at the fades, brace at least 8 3/4 or more,arrow over 10 grains per lb of bow weight.  I am able to get my widows as quite as any bow in my rack (sometime more quite than some).  I have always replaced the string.  Not a big fan of the skinny strings, but a well made string from one of our sponsors will help, as it will on most bows. I do not have to put bow hush on mine, but might help.  I only use one set of string silencers.  I do not use the ones from widow, but use wool puffs.   Make sure you have the nock at the right height and are not getting arrow slap.
Mel Riley

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
10 grains per pound of bow draw weight...on my black douglas hex4 ...hardley any thing on string 14 strand...that stuff on string robs performance...try more arrow weight ...9 grains 2 sets of silencers or hardley any thing..on string with 10 grains or more..close to same arrow speed...

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
You know, I have heard this about Widows over and over... You would think that since they have been making bows since aprox 1955 they would have figured it out.. I have owned 6-7 in the past and never been able to figure out all of the Hype about them [ they have all been passed on down the line ]

I do not think anyone should have to do anymore to quiet up a high dollar Custom beyond string silencers and finding the "sweet spot" as far as brace height...and proper wt arrows.  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Get a new bow...oh course I always want an excuse for a new bow  ;)
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I have to agree w/ Gene, I've shot a few widows they were all louder than my custom bows [ Kota,Great Northern,Javaman ], for the money they should be much quiter. They are pretty bows and dead in the hand just to loud for me. Todd

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
I know this sounds strange but I kept raising the brace height on mine and it didnt help. Went back the the starting brace height and lowered it some and that helped.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
I like an 8 strand Atroflight or ultra cam string with padded loops and 2 pair of small wool puffs or bowhush wool puffs.brace height about 9 inches.

My arrows were about 600 grains and bow was 52#s at 30 inch draw

My last couple widows shot quiet setup like this.Way better than the stock string IMO.

I like Astroflight alot!!!!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
To each his own, but TBM did a string silencer test several years ago and found that limb savers were significantly more effective at dampening sound when mounted out toward the limb tips rather than at the fades. That sounds intuitive, as that's where the movement and vibration occurs.  I know adding mass to limb tips is blasphemy to those that worry about every ounce of silencer weight, but they checked this too and speed loss was about 1 fps. I know that I'm not going to argue with folks equipped with decibel meters and chronographs, as I own neither. If you try this, just leave about 1" gap to the string at brace height or it will hit and eventually break off from the adhesive backing. That much I know from personal experience and a call to SIMS labs.  Removing them has never damaged my limb finish, but that could depend on the bow.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
10 strand D10 from SBD strings with wool puffs and wraps did it for my PCH and it was way LOUD. Now it is as quiet as any of my bows.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Keep the suggestions comings

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
Change the serving.Use Crown serving .26 dia.Rubber silencers about 12'' down from the tips.Also,start w/ just the bow.No quiver!Process of elimanation is always best.

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Dumb question...what are fadeouts, is that where the the string notching is neat the top of the limbs???  I should know this, but I don't???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©