3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hang on stands used as a portable?  (Read 440 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Hang on stands used as a portable?
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
do any of you use a hang on an use it like a climber? put it up for for the evening then take it back down and rehang it the next day? basically do you use the hang on as a portable treestand? what stand do you use and, what steps? im lookin to get away from the weight of a climber(20lbs) and go lighter. id be fine if all i could get up was 12ft. but need something thats light. under 15 pounds total, stand and steps together. less would be better. how much a pain is it to use a hang on like that?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hang on stands used as a portable?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
No I dont it is to much trouble for me...and I dont really like using my climber that much.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
I've done it several times way back in. I have never used a climber because there are few trees they work on here in AZ. I use 2 or 3 Lone wolf sticks to climb and an unknown make stand that is very lite. The small buck in my avatar was taken that way.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Chippewa Stands work great this way - the smaller lighter models - Mine always goes in with me on myback - I can climb the tree - pull the stand up - set it - get in it- hunt - and do the reverse without ever being disconnected to my screaming eagle harness = for hardoods I use simmons woodpecker drill and steel pins - for pines Chippewa hang on stiks.
Best - Safest - Quietest stand made.
<><
<--------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
I hunted that way quite a bit with various stand but the best steps imo are the rope-on kind with a chinese knot.  I didn't like them at first but once I got used to them they were quick and easy.  6 steps and a stand and I was ready to go.  I lived where there were not a lot of climber-friendly trees.  Now that I live in the midst of a lot of straight trees I honestly prefer the climber - a little more weight but a quicker and quieter set up in the tree.  My Lone Wolf climber isn't much more than 15 lbs.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
i love my climber, summit viper ss but 20lbs is getting to me. hurts my neck and upper back. im just basically tired of lugging it. dont have to hunt high up, just want lighter to carry. im not real fond of tree stands with out bar around the front, so i stay lower to ground and feel safer. my summit has a bar and i feel completly safe at 20ft. but when you got your bow and clothes and pack to take along it gets heavy and is a pain in the back and neck. wish they made one around 10lbs.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
I've always used my Loc-on stands that way. Unless I planned to hunt the same location in the evening and again next morning I have always taken them down.
Never thought it was a bother. I have always used the rope on type steps. My favorite were made by Deer Me, still using them and have been since 1979.
still using my original steps, just change out the ropes occasionally.
When I was younger I could hang 8 steps and my Loc-on Spirit stand in under 7 minutes, quietly, and be 12 to 16 feet depending on the number of steps used.
Still use the stands the same way just a little slower at getting them up.
I believe the Loc-on Spirit and the Lem are around 7 lbs or less.

Offline John P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Hunting public land in Wisconsin you have to remove your stand every day. I have tried several and found the Lone Wolf or the Chippewa Wedge Loc to be two of the best. I use Lone Wolf Sticks to climb up, a set of three can get you 16' without much problem.
John

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
I invested in one light weight stand and then about thirty screw in steps. I run the steps in all the way and when I leave I bring the stand and as many steps as I can reach with me so no one else can use em. Even when I leave the syand I take the steps with me and reuse the holes when I go back. I only hunt private land like this though because on public land in mo you can't harm the trees.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Hang ons ARE portable.  As john says (above) here in Wisconsin we have to do that every day.  Once you have a system it is not difficult at all to do.  I also agree with his choices of stands and step systems..
ChuckC

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I use a Lone Wolf Assault to hunt spots I don't hunt a lot of times in the season or where I think there is a chance someone would take the stand or hunt from it.  I use 16' tie on stick ladders.  I place them before the season and move them around if needed.  I get them for about $35 post season so they are not that expensive if one vanishes.  I camo them up with 3-4 color paint and camo spray the ropes.  I then try and put in the ladders around the side of trees where they are least visible.  This has worked well for me.  I climb the tree with the stand on by back using a lineman's belt.  Then I hang an easy hang hook, take the stand off and hang it.  Then secure with two more straps and get on.  I then pull my bow up with a line I have pre-tied off to the stand.  I do that in reverse  to get down, but often lower the stand with a rope I have on the stand at all times.  It is fairly fast and quiet.  The Loan Wolf Assault is very light and easy to carry.  It is also rock solid and extremely quiet.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
i rarely evere use a climber. I use hang on stands, i put them up when I start the hunt and take them down when I am finished, whither it is all day or anly a few hours. I rarely leave them up overnight if not on my property. I learned my lesson already.

i like to use a LocOn Windwalker and Ameristep strap on steps. The stand is less then 5lbs and the steps are only a few ounces each.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Its all I do! Original (early 90s) LW with sticks. Turkey vest with everything in place.  One time up the tree and I am in.  Very economical I may add too. It makes me completely stealthy and on the move.  I can switch with the wind.  Every sit is a new.  Every 4+ year old mature deer I have harvested or encountered has been first time into a stand. In fact, I never hit an area until I am ready to hunt it. It takes me 7-8 minutes to set up and take down. I am not sure why more people do not do this.

Typical scenario from last year:
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=081248#000000

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
wow thanks guys great advice, we cannot use screw in steps here on public land. but the sticks sound good. i need to give it a try. the other day my wife said.. as i was on my knees in the woods loading my stand on my back... you really need to get rid of that and get something lighter. lol im goin to have to do some looking and fig up best setup for me. def the climbing sticks, just need to fig out what stand. my muddy safety harness has linemans belt so im set to go safety wise.

do you guys usually look for clusters of trees together to better hide or do you get away with single trees. the leaves will all be off here soon so using foliage is outa the question.

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
You can also look into the ameristep rapid rails, they come in aluminum and steel, easy to set up and they stack togethor nicely while transporting to and from your hunting spot. I use a gorilla scout hang on stand with these.

To answer your other question I try and find trees that are clustered togethor to help hide. But also make sure that the cluster doesn't prevent you from shooting.

Rodney

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
This is my exclusive set-up. -20# .. The only update to the pic is I attached a backpack hip-belt so there is no weight on my shoulders.  

KEY to this is using a turkey vest with all my stuff; saw, pruners etc all in the same pockets- so as I climb up i can grab whatever I need.  

I never use a lineman line as it is too dangerous- I want to hang on to the tree, not be using my hands to move a rope around limbs. (It may work for a telephone pole, but not trees with limbs.) Once I am on the top of my second stick- before stepping up on my third, I tie on to the tree with my rappelling/climbers harness.  Again- my 2C.

Cover is nice in a tree, but I stand against the trunk quite often and get away with lot.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
... Yep ..I love my "LOC-ON Windwalker too.. so light and easy to put up. I can sit in it for about three hours. Fast set up..for a quick hunt ! Not sure you can still get them though???
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
My set up is a treesuit for when i get to the height where i strap in to hunt.  

for climbing, i use an old lone wolf (vbar) seat held on my feet like any climber.

I climb by bear hugging the tree (ala baker tree stand).  But the weight of the hand climber on my feet is so light it is easy.

I am 49 and this works well for me.

The whole setup weighs less than 10 lbs (maybe a little over).

There is the safety factor of not being strapped in when I climb.  for this I do not have a solution.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
I always move around from place to place..may hunt a stand morning and evening, but not more than that. It was easy when I used pole climbers, but got to be a pain using screw in and strap on steps. Just use climbers not days.

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
I use a Loc-On Wind Walker and 3 or 4 lone wolf sticks.  Pack them in with my Wild Thing pack.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©