3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wing Gull  (Read 244 times)

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
Wing Gull
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
I have a Wing Gull Recurve.
The markings on the riser are :
64''
G7-1265
60#
OK ive recon thats 60# draw weight but at what lenth?
If I knock an arrow and draw back and mark the arrow at the front of the riser it measures 27.5 inches. Thats confusing cause my drawlenth on my compounds were 29.5?Any ideas?
My real problem is finding arrows in the UK most plases seem to stock all under 40# as thats what most people here shoot from what I can gather.
The arrows I have at home are:
Easton Alluminum xx75 2117 and 2315.
Easton powerflight 400 carbons 8gpi
Rhino 45/70 carbons
Arrow dynamics Nitro stinger carbons (Orange markings)
What would you guys try first?
Also what would you try for my Border Black Douglas recurve at 68#?
Thanks a lot
And if anyone could tell me more about the WingI would appretiate it as I like it a lot.

Leon
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wing Gull
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
HowdyHavoc1,

You've got a nice Wing bow there.  I've got a gull in a low 30# weight that is near mint.

Standard draw weight measurements are taken at 28 inches of draw.  Draw length per the AMO is measured from the string to a point 1 3/4" forward of the lowest point on the grip.  Usually on recurves it is near the back of the bow but if they have slim risers more like a longbow, it could be a point about 1/2" past the back of the bow.  If you are pulling 27.5" to the back of the bow, you are likely within a 1/4" of a 28" draw.

You should be pulling within a pound of the 60# marked weight.

I can't help you much with the arrows as I never use aluminums and have only ever used carbon a little.  I'd try the 45/70 carbons first with a 125 grain point and work up in point weight until they seem to fly really well.  I'm guessing they are cut to length for your 29.5" compound draw...  might have vanes instead of feathers too???  If so, leave them long for now and refletch with 3 helical feathers of at least 4 1/2".  I'd personally go with 5 inch.  Shape doesn't matter much, just use what you like.

Do a search here for "carbon arrow tuning" or "high FOC" or "extreme FOC" and you will find a ton of info.  That said, while high FOC seems to work well for carbon arrows, you don't have to go that route.  Especially if you try wood arrows.  Any good wood shaft spined to your bow with a point in the 125 to 160 grain range should work well.

As for Wing Archery bows and some history, the company was started by a man named Bob Lee down in Texas.  At some point it was sold to the Head Ski Company and then later to AMF (the bowling company).  Original Bob Lee bows are the most sought after followed by the Head Ski Co. bows.  Quality dropped a bit with AMF.  Or rather, the finish detail quality did.  Tips were a little bigger, overlays a little less smoothed out etc.  I believe the bows were made on the same forms at all three places but I'm not certain.

Bob Lee is still kicking and building some real good bows.  He's one of the "Grand old Men" of traditional archery that's still around.

Take a look at this cut and paste from his current website  www.Bobleebows.net

Bob Lee...History of a Hall-of-Famer
    Bob Lee's journey to the National Bowhunters Hall of Fame began at the age of 23, when Bob attended one of Texas' first organized shoots and became enthralled with the
advanced archery equipment he discovered therein. This enthusiasm prompted him to forge a garage business he branded as Wing Archery, a company that would experience explosive success throughout the fifties, sixties, and seventies and emerge the era's premier archery manufacturer and trendsetter, with daily shipments averaging more than 300 bows.
     Due to this success, Bob was required to travel a great deal, which presented a dilemma in packing the long, cumbersome archery equipment. As a result, Bob conceptualized a three-piece bow that would break down for ease of transport, with the added advantage of versatility in weight and limb length (i.e., lighter target limbs, heavier hunting limbs). Though his idea met with skepticism and even ridicule, in 1963 Bob produced the Presentation II, the first laminated takedown bow. The Presentation II proved an overwhelming and immediate success, spawning the multitudes of takedowns on the market today.
    In the late 1950s, Bob lobbied extensively for a pre-rifle, archery-only hunting season. Through dogged determination (and the donation of many Red Wing Hunters) bowhunters realized their first exclusive hunting season in October 1959.
    Bob was a founding member of the AMADA (Archery Manufacturers and Dealers) organization, which later became known as the AMO (Archery Manufacturers Organization). This association proved instrumental in developing industry standards for bow weights, strings, draw lengths, etc. Another 1959 benchmark was set when his

expertise and pioneer spirit helped launch the Pope & Young Club.
    Today, Bob and son Rob share a partnership through Bob Lee Archery. It is through this venue that they combine their experience as bowyers and passion for the sport of archery to once again produce outstanding and innovative products.The same craftsmanship that evolved Bob Lee's Wing products into timeless collector's items is echoed in the bow models that currently bear his name. Through this legacy, Bob shares his dream with each owner of a Bob Lee bow.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Thanks Dave
Did a search and looks like the AD's are not going to work so going to put feathers on a few of the 45/70's like you said and see how that goes.
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
What length are your arrows? At 29.5" the 2117 should be pretty close for the wing with a 175 gr. tip.  Actually at 29.5" those 2315 may work for the 68# douglas with a 175 gr. tip.  At least those are good places to start if you're able.  I'd bet those would put you close enough to work off of at least.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©