3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Experienced elk hunters  (Read 357 times)

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Experienced elk hunters
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Tim, you know my setup and my feelings on this but for others reading this: My experience is shooting 6 elk that I have killed now with traditional bows-all under 50#. The fastest arrow was going 163 fps. and the slowest was 143 fps. ( 143 fps was this year shooting a 41# recurve and 630 gr. arrows).  All arrows were between 590-650 gr.  All broadheads penetrated to the other side of the elk, one broke through a leg bone on the off shoulder.  One year I shot lighter arrows (about 485 gr. and lost 2 elk that I hit (very poor penetration both times with the same broadhead).  My advice: Don't worry about your bow weight (as long as it's legal).  Worry about your arrow weight (at least 600 gr. for elk), your broadhead, your accuracy, but not your bow weight.  I have notice VERY little difference in penetration when my arrows were going relatively slow or faster.  I don't have any experience with anything slower than 143 fps but 630 gr. @ 143 fps. or faster is deadly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©