3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Li'l Favorite and Trailmaker Broadheads....  (Read 761 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Li'l Favorite and Trailmaker Broadheads....
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Sorry for the delayed story, but I needed some sleep!

I went out yesterday afternoon about 4:00. It was warm, too warm for my taste when it comes to deer hunting. But I had a turkey tag also, so I figured I may as well go out.

Almost right away....about 5:00...deer started moving. They came out of a swamp behind me, and started feeding on acorns. A yearling doe was under my tree for quite a while, I figured I would let her be. About 5:20 this mature doe wanders through, and stands broadside for a few seconds too long. My intention was to put the arrow at about her last rib, and angle forward out through the front shoulder. Somehow I screwed up. The arrow was way to high, Almsot a spine shot. And she must have twisted on my release....the exit hole is farther back than I would want. Initial arrow penetration was't the best either..I like tem to zip right through, she took off with appeared to be 6 inches of shaft hanging out. Dammit.

I watched her go, and took a compass reading as she departed (thanks for pounding that into my head Ron   ;)  ).

I climbed down after only about 5 minutes...it was warm, and I didn't want an after dark bloated deer affair...

I didn't take all of the bloodtrail pictures that I should have. About 5 feet from the initial impact there was a hug (20" diameter) pool of blood, and blood smeared on a sapling. Hmmm. For the next 30 yards, nothing. I went to the last place I saw her, using my compass reading, and WOW...she had turned to head down to the river and must have stumbled. Blood everywhere. I followed her trail as it went on a runway paralell to the river (more of a big creek). The blood was getting frothy, and there was lots of it. I was concerned because I had traveled about 125 yards....too far...I was kind of stillhunting the trail, reminding myself that I was on it about 30 minutes too early.

As her blood trail turned down toward the river, I saw movement on the other side. She was laying down in some heavy vegetation. She saw me, but didn't move. I slowly sat down. So here was my dilema. I wanted desperately to end her suffering, but I was afraid that if I approached her (I would have had to cross the water, she was about 40 yards away) and possibly spook her.  Although I had good blood, I also know that ANYTHING can happen....trailing her through a swamp all night, and maybe losing her to the near 80 degree temps seemed like the worse option. We have all seen deer summon that last bit of adrenaline and sprint for another minute or so. In this swamp a minute deer sprint can cost a deer.

So the unfortunate, but I feel ethical choice was to quietly sit and watch her die. She would lift her head, get a smell of me, and try and stand. She couldn't. Then she started to breath heavy, and finally laid down her head. I gave her 10 more minutes, and then approached. She was done.

I was suprised to find that the arrow had completely penetrated. I still haven't recovered it. The Trailmaker 3 blade head had done it's job, and continued cutting right through as she ran, eventually working out the other side. entry and exit holes were large and flowing with blood.

I now had to drag her out through some of the thickest, nastiest swamp I know. I had her field dressed by 6:00, didn't have her in the truck until 8:30.

All in all, it was a pretty neat and memorable hunt. I wanted to kill a deer with the broadheads Tim had sent, and I wanted to refill my freezer with a full sized doe. I have the great fortune of having absorbed a smidgen of woodsmanship from my friend Ron LaClair, and I think I used some of the common sense he's "loaned" me on this bloodtrail. The compass reading, the decision to get on the trail early because of the temp, but to still hunt the trail are all things I have picked up listening to him. I killed the doe on my Uncle Jacks property, who just recently passed away. He was the man who spent the time making me a deer hunter when I was younger.

It was one of those days, that even though I was hunting alone, I had lots of friends helping me out.

:archer2:

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
Congratulations buddy. That's a dandy looking doe. The Shrewhaven boys are making meat early this year. Kevin's nice buck and that dandy doe.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:   I know Greg really likes his Trailmaker heads too and he's using the same one hundred grain steel adapter with his on VMax carbon arrows.  

Enjoy those fresh tenderloins!!!
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Great telling of the story Roger.  That's one for the memeory bank!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
Nice doe congratulations.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Great pics Roger!!!

You did everything right.

I have no doubt, that we never hunt alone. I don`t hesitate to ask for help when it`s needed.

Carbons can get catapulted a long ways off the escape path. Aluminums buckle, and wood breaks, but carbons bend and bend, and then get re-released.

Enjoy the rest of the season.  :campfire:

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
Great story telling Roger.... maybe you are picking that art up from Ron as well, haha ??? Thanks for taking us along and congrats bud  !!!
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
You should have her weighed for Bobby Urban's big doe contest.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Well done, Roger, and well told.  Congratulations on a fine hunt.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Straight Shootin'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Great story and awesome deer, Congratulations!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
USN(RET) 1977-99
SOM 2001-2019

52" Fedora Stalker
Bear K-Mag x2
Predator Velocity 60"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -- Fred Bear

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
That is a nice doe.

Tim

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »

I went back and found the arrow this morning. 12" of penetration. Not great, but the interesting thing to me is the broadhead worked it's way through, and out the other side within 40 yards of impact, on a bad shot. That dispells a myth, at least for me....I have always assumed a 3 blade wouldn't penetrate as well as a 2 blade...and I know thats been pretty well proven...but for that Trailmaker to work it's way through, and poke through the hide like that, well I'm pretty well satisfied with these heads.

By the way, the butcher weighed her, she was 131 pounds.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Way to go Roger.  :thumbsup:
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the sweet bow!!!!

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Roger thanks for sharing the process that underlined your decision to sit and wait. Many who do not have the experience would have pushed rather than wait. Nice doe, TM
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Great story Roger.   BILL

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Congrats on the recovery and thanks for sharing your story. How many pounds are you shooting and what was the total arrow weight? How wide are those Trailmakers? Any trouble sharpening them? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Owlbait, total arrow weight is 515 grains, the broadhead is 1 1/8" wide.

Sharpening them is pretty easy, I use a file and a diamond sharpening stick.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Thanks, and again, congratulations!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Nice one Roger.  3 Blades rock    ;)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
They sure do. I have never used anything but 2 blades (which I still love). This was very interesting to me. I'm looking forward to a nice clean double lung shot, maybe from the ground. Pretty funny....something as simple as traditional archery, and I learn something new everytime out.  :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©