3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie suit (pic heavy!)..Tell me your opinion  (Read 298 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie suit (pic heavy!)..Tell me your opinion
« on: October 10, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
This afternoon I went out and wanted to take some pics of me in my Rancho Safari ghillie. I got several pictures from about 20 yard to 5-10 yards. I Did one black and white. Some of the pics I'm sitting in my chair, and some I am not. The angles are different as well. The pictures that show me with my left shoulder to the camera  ( I'm a right handed shooter, and it is more comfortable shooting this way) seems to outline me more, which is a concern for me.

Any opinions on my setup, or whatever other suggestions to help me would be appreciated. This is my 2nd year in my Ghillie and am using it more and more..

The angle I am worried about...

Kneeling..

B&W..

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie suit (pic heavy!)..Tell me your opinion
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Sure looks good enough. Will you have enough string clearance with your left arm? Can you get the coat to drape down more when you turn instead of slanting out?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
Sure looks good enough. Will you have enough string clearance with your left arm? Can you get the coat to drape down more when you turn instead of slanting out?
I'm wearing the armgaurd from Rancho safari. I cut the inside of the left arm so my bowstring clears.

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Looks GREAT

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
LQQks like a deadly setup to me..
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
That black and white picture really shows how well it will blend in. I'm really thinking more about using mine to set-up in blowdowns and such. The place that I ordered mine from also has one with lots of fake leaves on it, the only thing that concerns me is the noise that those synthetic leaves might make. I ordered this one and if I am happy with the way it is made and such..........I'm probably gonna order the other one. My wife can have her pick........then the other one is for ME.

These that are made out of jute and burlap are heavier and I'm sure that is about "tripled" when you are out in the rain with it on.

Maybe I'm getting "old and soft".......but the thought of moving, or hanging stands, or even a climber is less attractive the older I get. I'm not afraid of heights or even falling.....BUT....that sudden stop at the end of a fall DOES concern me. Before someone says it......I DO wear a full body harness, but we all know that when hanging stands or moving them we have ALL cheated a bad fall a time or two.

I also like the thought of having a deer in my lap from ground level.......if that makes any sense.    :bigsmyl:      :archer2:  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Winterhawk1960:
That black and white picture really shows how well it will blend in. I'm really thinking more about using mine to set-up in blowdowns and such. The place that I ordered mine from also has one with lots of fake leaves on it, the only thing that concerns me is the noise that those synthetic leaves might make. I ordered this one and if I am happy with the way it is made and such..........I'm probably gonna order the other one. My wife can have her pick........then the other one is for ME.

These that are made out of jute and burlap are heavier and I'm sure that is about "tripled" when you are out in the rain with it on.

Maybe I'm getting "old and soft".......but the thought of moving, or hanging stands, or even a climber is less attractive the older I get. I'm not afraid of heights or even falling.....BUT....that sudden stop at the end of a fall DOES concern me. Before someone says it......I DO wear a full body harness, but we all know that when hanging stands or moving them we have ALL cheated a bad fall a time or two.

I also like the thought of having a deer in my lap from ground level.......if that makes any sense.     :bigsmyl:        :pray:

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Shaggies are deadly..! Don't give up if this was easy we would not have so much fun...  Your pics look good but if in a normal ambush spot I build a natural blind (more material) and sit in FRONT of it wearing my Shaggie.  Enough brush/blowdown to hide my seated form from behind which is where I want the deer to come from.  Hearing them coming I will have my bow standing up resting on my boot. Super slow motion draw straight back to anchor AFTER the deer has past you... Get to this point and the deer are usually in trouble.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
looks like a great set up to me! i just ordered a ghillie poncho from sportsman's on friday, so am very excited about using it. as winterhawk stated, i am concerned about the synthetic material and noise. thanks for sharing the good pics. good luck and hope you put one down this year!
Kennyb
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »

Winterhawk1960
I too must be getting old (age = 48) because I am thinking the same way, maybe it's not old it's just getting wiser !

I am enjoying all the posts right now on the gillie suits, that black and white pic really blends in !  The more I read, the more I like the fact of all the mobility a gillie provides, right now my 2 two tree stands are not treating me as good as usual, I really don't want to move them in the middle of the season, plus at church today I the pastor said a prayer for a member who broke his back falling out of a tree stand, I switching to a ghillie for next season.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Rick let me add that if you have a good spot build your natual cover blinds using a compass based on your normal wind directions...  Sit like a statue and listen for the deer.  I always want them to come from behind upwind walking from my over my right shoulder broadside or slight quartering passing in front right to left.
Let the deer get PAST you. They expect danger from in front and if you sit still and draw straight back and SLOW they will be in trouble.
I'll take good pics the next time I sit one of my natural blinds and post them... I need a west wind this coming week and I'll get this done for you.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »

I also like the thought of having a deer in my lap from ground level.......if that makes any sense.     :bigsmyl:        :archer2:    

Winterhawk1960
Same here, even though I'm only 40 I'm thinking less & less of being high in a tree with the possibility of an accident happening.
I too wear a safety harness but I've been in that situation where I had to manhandle myself beck into the stand just to get down to mother earth all with the racing heart & excitement makes me think that my ground hunting skills needs to be employed more.

You guys with the Guile Suits make me jelouse because just seeing pictures like these makes me think that is the way to go & I'm seriously thinking of either getting a suit like you have frassettor or making my own like a few have around the gang.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline 57Loader

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I think that looks good.  Maybe a little thicker behind you will blend in that angle you don't like.

Are those hot to wear?  It looks really uncomfortable to wear when it's still 100 degrees out on the first archery hunt in Arizona.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »

I also like the thought of having a deer in my lap from ground level.......if that makes any sense.      :bigsmyl:          :archer2:    

Winterhawk1960
I agree with all that Don, and no...you aren't getting old and soft, just more practical.
I'm only 42 and if it's not a ladder stand either factory made or one of my permanent stands that I maintain yearly, I don't bother.
We all had our rounds with the "Running and Gunning" mentality and hanging a portable stand or a climber on every deer trail in the woods, only to tear them down and move it 20 yards, just to hunt it for 2 days and repeat the process.
I'm tired of all that. I'm not afraid of heights up till 18' that's my threshold limit and I'm quite comfortable there, but I like the roomy comfort of a ladder stand and when I put it up....I really hate taking it down.

Rich,the Ghillie suit blends in with the structure very well, but the color is a bit off. The suit is more grey/brownish in color and the vegetation is green/yellow....so here's my take on that statement. The black and white photo shows what deer see and I think you blend in great when shown in that contrast.
But my humble opinion in the color photos, turkey and coyote may still pick you off? They can see every color in the rainbow and maybe some that we can't......and don't think for a second that they don't use that to their advantage because they definitely do.

I'd say go for it and see what happens. You may try backing into some deadfalls or blow downs with more gray/brown colors, rather than an open field with lighter colors in it if you are after coyote or turkey?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Seriously guys.......my wife is absolutely TERRIFIED of heights. She has been bowhunting with me for the past 8 to 10 years and I thought that after getting in a stand and realizing that it isn't going to fall.......or she isn't gonna fall out of it........that she would get more "comfortable" sitting in one. She hasn't, and furthermore she has had both deer and turkey in her lap on more than one occasion WITHOUT a ghillie suit, just in our Predator Deception camouflage. She knows how to sit still, and has used her cell phone to take photo's of turkeys in close and actually had a chipmunk sitting on her boot one time.

I have always liked the "field of view" that you get from a treestand......but I think it is time to feel the rush of having game within spitting distance from the terra-firma of good Ol' Mother Earth. We'll see how it goes.......but if I can get them past me and get drawn on them without them seeing me.......there's gonna be some blood on the ground.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
I think you did well. As mentioned above the black and white photo really does it justice. The only thing that draws attention to my eye is the area around your face. Maybe a few small brances on top of your head and a very light see thru material in the area of you eyes would even the depth of the suit. Looks great overall.
USMC 82-86

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
One thing to think about is shadows. In those pictures youare in the sunlight. try getting into a shady area as that will help hide you in daylight and help eliminate silouetting
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
The silhouette mentioned by chopx was what I wondered about as well.
I tried a ghillie for the first time yesterday. My setup was in the woods so I was able to sit with my back against a big oak. I had two young deer in a shooting lane and had a shot if I had wanted it.

Eventually, they wandered downwind and caught my scent. It was fun watching them try figure out where I was. I am sure a mature deer would have vacated the area more quickly but these two messed around for quite awhile.

I am wondering if I could have actually drawn my bow on a mature buck under your and my conditions w/o being detected.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Maybe a better back drop, but the black and white photo looks fantastic so you may be good to go.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Your suit is possibly better than my ASAT leafy gear which I thought is awesome. Nice options for groundblind claustrophobia or treestand height worries. I like the packability for remote areas also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©