3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Talk me out of this...  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Talk me out of this...
« on: October 11, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
I have been itching to buy a Widow PCH, but I already have .... let's say 6 (or more) bows on the rack.  Please let me know what you think about your PCH.  I have owned a Widow in the past, but I sold it due to the noise factor.

I have some bows to sell, but is there any reason I should not get a PCH????

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Talk me out of this...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:58:00 AM »
Umm...because you have six or more bows in the rack...
   :saywhat:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
About 10 bows ago I said "No More".that was 10 bows ago.WHEN you get your new Widow let us know how you like it.LOL! For sicknesses like ours refer to Danny Rowans post,all the best my friend.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:10:00 AM »
Thanks for the tip Steve!!!

I guess it's just a matter of time before I plunge back into the Widow market.

Maybe I can get some input from some PCH owners???

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:56:00 AM »
Brett
I have never shot one { I have owned several Widow's and passed them all on to others }. However, I remember reading how alot of guys could not wait to get their hands on one when they were first anounced.. Now I already see them often showing up in the classifieds   :scared:   I would never consider selling one of my Schafers to get one   :wavey:      :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »
Widows are super sweet bows for sure.I see you have a Schafer on your rack.No need to have a new bow then.Done.  :)

(Hey you said talk you out of it...)  ;)    :readit:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:51:00 AM »
I like my PCH, and I like my Silvertip (soon to be Silvertips). I don't think mine is a noisy bow. I just use a pair of fur silencers.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:00:00 AM »
With the proper care all BW become a quiet as any other bow.Replacement of the stock string is a must anyway.See all the threads about that.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »
For the price of a new bow you can feed a kid in an underprivileged country for at least 6 months and maybe even buy his sister some feminine hygiene products for school so she doesn't have to miss class,and they will send you a picture of those kids and there progress. Hang the picture where the bow would have gone.    :thumbsup:      :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
I don't know the names or initials of any of the BW's but the recurve model I hunted with had everything humanly possible done to it to make it quiet to no avail.

I happened to run into Ken one day so I cornered him to pick his brain as to "How to quieten" this bow.

Ken's words to me were, "Mudd I don't know what to tell you other than we made a noisy bow that year." and "You;re just going to have to hold really low Kemosabi cause they're riding shetland ponies!"

At that point I returned the bow to its owner and said I was sorry but I wouldn't be able to kill a deer with it. I already had 4 or 5 misses on deer that had dropped below the arrow before it arrived and I knew I couldn't count on me looking at the ground below a deer to shoot at it.

This is just one case and one person's experience with Widows but it is mine so I won't be trying any others.

I'm sure there are others with wonderful stories to tell that are just as genuine as is mine.

Good luck, good hunting and God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
For the price of a new bow you can feed a kid in an underprivileged country for at least 6 months and maybe even buy his sister some feminine hygiene products for school so she doesn't have to miss class,and they will send you a picture of those kids and there progress. Hang the picture where the bow would have gone.     :knothead:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
I've owned 3 MAs and a LAG longbow, still have 2 of the MAs.  They are my second-favorite hunting bow.  They are not 'whisper quiet' (compared to my Hills), but mine are pretty darned quiet.  And I don't use rubber limbsavers, moleskin on the limb grooves, yarn wraps on the string or multiple sets of silencers.

I believe the 'loud' reputation comes mostly from operator inexperience with bow tuning, and somewhat from the built-in stereotype that Widow's are loud ("I read it on the internet so it must be true").  

They really aren't much different than most other bows, you just need to tune them.

Offline MRD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
I can get most bows very quiet, but never could get a Widow anywhere near quiet enough.  I've had two, and ended up selling both because of it. I wonder if the argument between loud and quiet (some say they are "silent") has to do with ones release?  My release is far from great, and perhaps that causes problems?  But, then again, no problems with noise from other bows.     :dunno:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
lpcjon2!     :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I only have one widow, a PTFV. It did seem loud to me until I traded the FF string that was on it with a B50. I used Hush Puppies and Bow Hush on the B50 and it's very quiet now.

I plan on stopping at Nixa later in the week on may way back home and try a PCH and PSA. I was going to do the test drive but ended up in Kansas and Oklahoma this week so if nothing changes I'll be able to stop instead. I'm all a flutter!

I can't see any reason at all for you not to get a PCH if you can swing it.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
You can never get a Widow guiet, that is why no one ever kills anything with one.      :laughing:    

Reread TSp's post.

My PCH is quiet, so is my PSA and my PTF.   Now I have a Shrew foam/carbon that is giving me a fit to quiet - but I will figure it out.
Mel Riley

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
I will try to talk you out of it.  My widows were not all that loud, they were very fast, they had a tolerance for a wide variety of arrow spines, they were very accurate, BUT they have a less than desirable balance, the grip is to high for real fast shooting, they do not aim like a longbow when they are canted, you could take your wife out to dinner several times for the price of one.  Then again if you do not shoot fast, like to hold a bow more vertical, and shoot with an open hand. At times I wish I still had my 66" BW, the one with the sights on it that I held vertical and shot with an open hand, it was fun stacking arrows at 60 yards, of all the widows I owned it was my favorite.  Honestly, how would shooting a bow that is that different from what you have effect your form?

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Got money? Got room? Got hospital coverage for when the little woman sticks her foot in your behind? That's a noise hard to get rid of...for me anyway.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
I have a PSR X and PMA III they can be as quiet as any other bow if you do your part. I got a coyote last week a 3 yards with my PMA and the arrow was in the groung before he moved.

doug77

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
Just sounds like a left handed way to do one of the Widow bashing threads so common over on the other site.  My Widow is as quiet, and smooth and fast and pretty as any of the other makes out there.

If you really do have one ordered, keep it!  It will probably be better than all the others you already have.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©