3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Talk me out of this...  (Read 1015 times)

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Talk me out of this...
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
I shoot mine with a skinny string (8125,10/12 strand padded to 20/22 strands), no tip protector and just cat whiskers left long. They seem to be plenty quiet that way. These are recurves, I have one long bow set up the same way. It wasn't noisy to begin with. If I'm carrying one afield I sometimes keep the tip protector on and pull it off when I shoot. When I bang one of the tips on something it is the top tip usually anyway, they seem to be bomb proof though.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
I have been able to get my last 2 Widows plenty quiet.A 60 inch PTFX and 62 inch PA.New string helps,bow hush silencers,heavy arrows.Around 11 to 12 grains per pound and about 9 inch brace height.

8 strand astroflight with built up loops to 16 strands.Quiet and stable shooting.Very nice!

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I've been shooting Widows for a long time, and with proper attention you can get them as quiet or quieter as other bows without putting a ton of stuff on the string or limbs. I have never shot the PCH, my main bow is a MA and my back-up is a PSAX. Both are set up with the spider silencers, 8.625 brace height and I use at least a 550 grain arrow. The only time I notice any noise coming from the bow is when I break form and torque the string. I don't see why the PCH would be any different.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
I didn't mean for this to be so concentrated on the bow noise issue.  I know that Widow's can't be that noisy because there are thousands of dead critters that have been killed with them.

I like the PCH because it looks like it has some mass in the riser, and I could get it in a 58 inch model for a nice compact bow.

Still need to thin my bow herd a bit, but I think I'm steering toward a PCH in the future.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
I've got two SA111's and absolutely love them .I put SBD 10strand D10's on them and it made all the differance.I just can't think of anything to tell you about not buying it,OH you could feed the hungry in some far off country for 3 hours,YEA RIGHT! Get the bow!LOL.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
Brett you may not want to hear this but I just aquired a new psa2 graybark 56# @ 58" w an asbell grip.That bow is a tack driver,It shoots a 720gr arrow with authority and was the easiest bow I've ever tuned.OK maybe I'm no help sorry.I would just get the bow.
Jeff Couture

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
I guess I should bring this up to the top since it has been many months since I started this thread.

As most of you know, we have been flooded with awesome pics of PCH's over the past year or so, but now I find myself still with no Black Widow bow (my own fault) and considering a longer PSA or PMA.

I have a 62 inch Silvertip recurve that is an awesome shooter.  I should be wonderfully satisfied with it, but (like an idiot) I can't keep from wondering what a 62 inch Widow would be like.  I had a 60 inch PAX that I sold, but I'm trying to get my hands on a 62 inch bow to see if I don't like it better.

I have bows coming out my ears, but I just wonder how smooth a 62 inch PSA or PMA would be.

Oh yeah, I draw 29".

Any thoughts?

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
I draw 29 1/2 and my PSA is 60". AWESOME!!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Brett, since you brought this back up, I'll try and make you feel better.

I have been wanting a PCH in the worst way for a while. I have shot several and have detailed notes on exactly how I want to order it.

Getting to exactly what I want has been a blast. I have shot every model Widow in all kinds of configurations thanks to the Trad community, and it has helped me narrow it down to the most minute detail.

Now that I know exactly what I want, it is pure agony saving up my nickles and talking myself into parting with bows that I am very fond of.

As others have stated in this thread...if you can do it...DO IT.

The only way I will try and talk you out of a PCH is to make sure you try them all before you send in that order form.

Mine is filled out and waiting on my bank account to catch up. Can't wait to call Toby and get that perfect piece of wood picked out of that pile of....well...I'll just keep that to myself for now.

If it helps at all, I shot 2 PCHX bows back to back at Baltimore. I draw 28 1/4" and wanted a 56" bow. I shot one as well as a 58" bow that was very close to the 56". I could shoot the 56" as well as the 58", but to me...the 58" felt much better.

If I was not going to hunt from a ground blind, I'd consider the 60" PCH 'cause I think it would be silky smooth like a 62" PSA or a 64" PMA. Like you, I dig the Asbell grip.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Raineman,

Thanks for the support man.  Making a $1200 investment in a bow is not for the faint-of-heart.

I have considered doing the PCH test drive with a 60 incher, but I have not gotten that far.  

Right now I'm trolling for a 62 inch PMA or PSA or SA or MA.  I don't think a 2007 Widow performs much better than a 1997 Widow.  

I have 56 inch recurves and 62 inch recurves as well; to me I just shoot the 62's better.  I guess I still have the 56 inchers if I want to hunker down in a ground blind or something.

Keep the advice and opinions coming. Tradgang is a wonderful forum.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
I have a 64" PMA, a 60" PSA, and two 58" PCH's.
I really enjoy the 60" PSA the best, but that wasn't your original question.
I think of my 58" PCH's this way; The riser on a 58" is 2" shorter than on a 60" PSA. If you buy a 58" bow, you are getting the same limb length as you would have on the 60" PSA. I like to hunt with the shorter bow, and still have the feel of the longer limbs.
By the way, I have two 58" PCH bows because one is my go to hunting bow, and the other is the backup hunting bow.  The confidence I have in them is that good.
Good luck in your quest.
Ken Thornhill

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
I have a CH III (no black phenolic--all wood) and of the 4 Widows I have owned since 1999 this one shoots the best, and they were all (TF, SA and LAG plus CH)shooters so that's saying something. My SA and TF were both 56" AMO, and so is my CH but since the limbs are longer (shorter riser) the draw and shot are smoother. You can get a Widow pretty quiet, but it takes a little work to find exactly the sweet spot for the brace height and the string silencers. Well worth the effort IMHO.

PS I keep swearing I'll buy no more bows, but it's all part of the extreme fun of this pastime!

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
My PCHX is the best bow I have had so far. I think you will be very happy with your order.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
I shot a PCH at Cloverdale, and really liked it.  You may also consider a PA, I had one with an Asbell grip, and really liked it.  There was a 62" model in the classifieds a few days back, not sure if it is still there.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
i have a 62 inch pma2 59lbs.i draw to 29.5 inches.smoothest bow i have ever shot.i wish i had another one.
i like biscuits

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
I recently sold off my only remianing Widow .... but I sold it close by so I know where it is in case I want it back.  

I have shot the PCH, and I have resisted getting one ....  SO FAR.  I will tell you that if I would buy another Widow today, it would NO DOUBT be the PCH. 58" and 55#s would be a great middle ground I think.  Like BCWV said, they are in my opinion louder, but certainly not unbearable, and tinkering with the brace height will help quite a bit in the noise factor.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
I've got a 60" PCH III on order right now, so I'm not going to be much help talking you out of it.

Can't wait!
BW PCH III

His servant

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
My Widows are the quietest that they have ever been, a Tall Tines made them that way.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Just change the serving.The sure grip serving makes all bows noisier.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I also draw 29 and shoot a PSAX got 2 sets of limbs for it. 56" and 60" I shoot the 60' mostly (others are for blind hunting)

Noise has been an issue, tried several strings, d97, 450. I put a b-50 on and it is as quiet as any long bow I has shot. May give up 5 FPS but that's nothing compared to a loud noise. It is smooth and very nice to shoot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©