3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: poplar arrows?  (Read 585 times)

Offline aussieman8

• Trad Bowhunter
poplar arrows?
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Does anyone use poplar arrows to hunt with? If so pros and cons. Thanks for the help   :)

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: poplar arrows?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I made up some poplars fir my girl friend. They are good shafts but had the darndest time with straightening them and keeping them straight. Maybe just me, I don't know. If I have a choice I will never make poplar arrows again! That being said they shoot great but I don't have any experience hunting with them. A lot of people do though. Just my opinion.

Keeping the Faith
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Make and use 'em all the time.  I buy all the straight grain ones I can find each trip to the lumber store.  I cut them, straighten them, spine and weigh them, and then bundle them in groups until I'm ready to finish them.  Here's some pics of the one's I've done recently using poplar.  They're all within +/- 10 grains and +/- 1 lb of each other:

"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
I have had good results with poplar!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jerome

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
nice arrows !!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
If they are so Poplar, how come I haven't heard of em yet?   :biglaugh:    :laughing:    

Seriously, I shot Ron's once, they flew fine. No real experience though.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
All the poplar shafts I've dealt with were terrible quality.A bear to straighten,and none of them were straight when they came to me.Not even close.I've never had not one striaght with any other shaft wood.I would never use them except for stumpers/bunny arrows.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
I got mine from Twig archery in Ohio,smooth and straight out out the box and all matched,excellent shafts!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
I got mine from Twig archery in Ohio,smooth and straight out out the box and all matched,excellent shafts!!!

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Twig archery!!!  The poplar shafts I got from him were just like the ones Ron W got.  First class all the way!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
SuperK is right Twig shafts are epicly awesome my last 3 sets are poplar they are the best hands down.
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Don Stokes Superceder shafts, are tapered yellow poplar.  About the best wood arrows I've seen/made/shot.  Sadly, he no longer makes them.  Much tougher and heavier than cedar.  Very straight and they stay that way, even those that hide from you for a couple of weeks when practicing.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
Thanks, Phil. Yellow poplar is one of the most stable woods when properly dried, which is one big reason we used it for the Superceders. The trees tend to grow straight and clear, so the yield is good when sawing. In properties, poplar is slightly stronger and much tougher than POC. I think it is the best of the hardwoods, strong, stable, and heavy enough.

I have almost depleted my supply. The only shafts I'm interested in selling now are 70-75#, 32" length, and some 45-50# that are 29" length. Anyone interested can PM me. I only have a few odds and ends left except for these, most of which will be my personal lifetime supply!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
Troy Breeding used to make some might fine poplar shafts. Unfortunately he dropped off the radar when he moved from Bama to Mo. After he moved he changed the focus of his business from traditional archery to wheelie stuff, a great loss for us traditional guys.

Offline darb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
A third positive vote for Twig Archery out of Ohio.  Only a few of the 4 dozen straight shafts I have ordered from John were not striaght enough to be shot right as they came out of the box.  Even those few only required a minor amount of tweaking.  Poplar has good weight (450-475 for the bows I shoot) and take a good beating.  I like em.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
I have to agree with some of the others. Poplar shafts, if done up right, can make some of the finest arrows that you can get you hands on. ART B

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
MIne come from Lowes  or Home Depot     It takes a bit to find ones that are straight and the grain does not run off too much .   Spine is usually heavy   but IT can be reduced .    I buy a few  ( 6 to 10 ) everytime im in one of those stores and  then take them home and bundle them up in groups .    For SELF NOCK arrows you can't beat them .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline mand0ralen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
hey,

that was the arrow wood of choice for English Longbowmen and fletchers in the Hundred Years War--> i am sure they knew their trade^^

Cant go wrong with Poplar.

++M

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
If you buy some at Home Depot or Lowes, what spines can you expect to get and what size are yall buying?
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Can anyone tell me? I'm thinking about getting some dowels this week.
Aim small, miss small!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©