3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Summit Goliath stand ?  (Read 299 times)

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
Summit Goliath stand ?
« on: October 11, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
I am wondering if I can shoot a recurve from this stand. Anyone have any experience with this? I've had a Bushmaster in the past and have used a Lone Wolf for a few years now but it' tough for long sits. I wonder if the bar across the front of the Goliath will mess me up? Can I set the seat low so when I stand the bar is low?

Thanks
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Todd Greenwald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Summit Goliath stand ?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
If I am right the Goliath is like the Viper.  I just put my seat adjustment straps to the shortest length (raises the seat) and put the top portion of the climber closer to the base.  It works for me and I shoot a 64" recurve from the sitting or standing position in the stand.  I also like the bar as it gives me a referance point while standing and shooting to the rear.
Michigan Longbow Association
USMC 1992-2000

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
John,

With my Summit Titan, I use both a 64" Firefly "FX" longbow and a 64" Wes Wallace "Mentor" recurve with no concerns.  For me, I think the bar gives me a bit of "piece of mind" (as far as safety goes).

Now, I'm 6'4", and when preparing for the shot, I press my quad into the bar and lean at the waist. (Yes, the chinch strap is secured to the top piece of the stand, and - like most - I use a saftey harness... just in case.)  Of course, my bow arm is pretty far outside/away from the top rail, and when I pull the string back... it comes somewhat close to the rail, but not touching. (I suggest you practice that - until you feel comfortable - BEFORE actually letting an arrow loose.)

Last note concerning the distance of the shot:   I prefer to shoot the bow vertical (mainly) and for me that starts at about 11 yards plus, but if it's a close shot... ya gotta cant the bow.

This set up works for me.

Best wishes!
David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
I do what todd does. Im 6'3" and it works fine. I still prefer a lock on though
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm a straight up bow shot but I'll try the shorten the seat deal and see if it works. Never shot out of a stand with the bar. I luv my lone wolf (hand climber) but it's tough for long sits.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Comfort?   You could easily fall asleep in the Summit... trust me on this one.  LOL     :thumbsup:
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Gene Gillis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Thats what I have and I've made 3 kills out of it and missed 1. I love mine. I do same as Todd also. It's also comfortable.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
i had that stand loved it back in my wheelie days but sold it at the end of last seasn when i made the commitment to go all trad this year because of the bar i felt it got in my way but by far the most comfy stand i have ever sat in many all day sits

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
I hunted out of my Equalizer Climber today and set the bar uncomfortably low. Could not shoot my 64" recurve unless I got the bottom limb on the outside of the bar and leaned over. Could not shoot behind me period. I'm about 5'10". If I hunt out of it again I will have to set the top section so low I'll have to lay my legs on top of the front bar section.

I have 3 other climbers, Lone Wolf Hand Climber, Summit Open Shot and another Summit with open front, so I'll just use them more.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
I have a 3year old Goliath climber, I replaced the stock seat with a "Silent Seat", it weighs almost nothing and dosent get in my way when climbing..I also have an Equilizer stand, I am 5ft 8" and shoot a 58" recurve.. with either stand I lean over the rail to shoot..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©