3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow sale! something smells fishy  (Read 792 times)

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow sale! something smells fishy
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Smells fishy to me for sure.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Smells fishy.....and that fish has been laying out in the hot sun for a few days!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
I also got one first thing this morning and notified Admin folks right off.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline GWC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
i had almost the exact same thing happen to me.i had an Impala antelope shoulder mount for sale on craigslist.guy said he wanted it but sent me an $1800 dollar check saying deduct the $350 for the mount and wire the rest to some other country
and then they would arrange for their personal moving company to come pick the "Item" up.ended up being a bad check of course.what a waste of time.Ross
Just Takn A Day At A Time

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Bummer, I was getting ready to sell my Pronghorn wall mount on there, for some extra moving doe,, Not now thanks boys, Have to find a better way. Just dont need these kinda problems, Thx again fellas

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
I think we all should be thankful they are so obviously not legit buyers and not very polished in their attempts.

This kind of stuff has been circulating for years now and should not be a surprise to anyone who sells stuff on the internet.

And it comes from everywhere, not just Africa. I get it on my C-L ads from local (US) persons.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
A guy just has to be careful no matter where he is dealin.  Thanks Terry.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
This type of scam is one of the oldest ones on the internet. I just can't believe that they cruise the classifieds here at Trad Gang? I know the economy is bad...but dang! It's not like there's a major turn over of goods here and this place is fairly exclusive to a select group of people, I mean not everybody is interested in traditional archery tackle and I wonder just how they came to find this place anyway?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's not a whole lot of traffic that comes through here.....at least not like Craig's List and the Classifieds here doesn't come out in the Sunday paper.   :dunno:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »
It's an old scam and works best on greedy or ignorant sellers.

People must still fall for it though.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
Sending bogus emails from a free or hijacked account is dirt cheap. If those guys get one hit for every thousand emails they send they probably think they're doing pretty good.
There is a site that covers these, and other, scams pretty good.   The 419 Eater   is a great site for learning how to avoid, and sometimes how to antagonize, these scam artists.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 04:02:00 AM »
Any time I sell something online, I delete any reply that doesn't ask specific questions about what I am selling.  I figure if it is a real person that is interested in what I have, they will ask questions about it.  I also delete any response wanting me to click on a link.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »
I think you should have some fun with him/her. Say will ship Bagels, two jars pickles and one bag onions ASAP. Please send payment!

Online Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
I haven’t had this happen to me in quite a while, but I keep reading about them more frequently. If it happens again, I suggest having them rush payment to you right away, and when it arrives, just forward it to the FBI or rip it up and toss it. I forwarded mine to the FBI and they were happy to take care of it. If everyone that this happens too, request express payment from them and just tosses it when it arrives, eventually its going to cost them a bundle in shipping from Nigeria. The joke will be on them.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
I like to mess with these people and usually send them back a question pertaining to our field like "What is your draw length" and of course that usually the last you hear from them. Some are persistent though and will send you a reply like "Oh I'm buying this for not me but a gift to my family friend." Hahaha.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
I would like to meet with this person and show them the error of their ways  :knothead:    :laughing:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I like the idea of having them send payment through the mail...it costs them a good bit of money.

If everyone did that, then tore up the check it would end the practice eventually.

Great idea.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Don't tear the check up, take it to the Post Master General and US Attorney and start mail fraud actions
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
You can also report this kind of stuff to IC3.

www.ic3.gov

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Well, since 99% of these originate outside the United States, you can forget a mail fraud investigation.  This happens all over the web, with everything from cars to golf clubs.  It's an old scan and far too many people fall for it.

Don't ever respond to anyone who offers to send you more than you are asking for an item if you will refund the balance or part of the balance.  You will lose your item and your cash if you do so.  The "cashies check" or "money order" you receive will be fraudulent and you will be the guy left holding the empty sack.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
string the S.O.B up and let'em swing.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©