3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHORT BOWS -Who makes the best?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHORT BOWS -Who makes the best?
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Dannybows,
That is a good looking bow, Let me know what you think after you shoot it. I have been looking at them as well.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Danny,I am so glad you bought that little Ambush.Great minds must think alike ,I was just about to jump that one!LOL.Let us know how she works out.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Steve--I noticed it last night and knew if I hesitated it would be gone and I'd be beating myself up over it. Bocote is one of my favorite woods, but I have never seen the Birdseye before. I just love the grain in the bow. Keep an eye out for my post which will include more pics of her. I also have one more reason for wanting such a short bow. I will be able to keep my shooting muscles in shape in the months after the season ends and Spring. I will be able to draw her easily in the boat while sitting, can't do it with my longer bows.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Now I'm kinda of big guy and I draw a solid 29 1/2 inches. I had a chance to shoot a 54" and a 56" recurves made by St. Joe River bows.  Now I have shot Cascade bow, Bear mags, and others.  I have to say these St. Joe River recurves was the smoothest draw I had ever handled. Not only with no stack in the draw but amazed at how stable they shot. And that was with my almost 30" draw!! They even took a drawing of my hand to help make the grip of my bow!! these are very Truely a custom sweet shooting bow!
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline tree dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Danny, Happy for you that you got the Ambush bow.
I had it in my hand before it was finished. It felt so good in my hand and the woods are beautiful.It was to heavy for me.But I did order one.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks Tree Dancer. It would be too heavy for me also, but I draw 26" so it puts her right at my normal weight.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
56" NAT is what I'm packin and LOVE it. Chad makes a 54" for slightly shorter draws too.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
It Looks like there is a lot of good choices out there.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with short bows. What I do have is a sweet shooting 58" 54#@28" Thunder Stick Mag I really like this bow. I am looking hard at the Big Jim Thunderchild also.
USMC 82-86

Offline Matt D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I've only shot a couple different short bows. None of them were in the same league as my 52" Saluki Sythian.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Shrew lil favorite or Black Widow PCH
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Hey Brittman,

I am still loving the widow, but I am going to try a short bow just to see. I would like to try a PCH but that is a lot of $$$.

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Javaman Tajavur longbow, 56", bought the 56, shot the 58 as well, very fast, stable , shoots flat to 25yds, great shooting little bow. Mine is bacote, and ebony, w olive ash burl veneers, 52#@27, Gregg makes a great bow.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
St.Joe River 54 & 56 inch recurves shoot very smooth, feels like a bow that is 4 inches longer.    :archer2:

Here is Dave drawing a 54 inch close to 29 inches.    :)    

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
I haven't posted on here yet, as I have talked about my Li'l Favorite so much I'm sure everyone who cares knows my opinion. BUT....I have used this bow for 4 seasons now, I have killed 7 deer with it, and I still think it's the best bow ever. I was on the "new bow every year" plan until Ron came out with the Li'l favorite. 54" is perfect in a tree, on the ground, in the bush.

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »

56in Bruin 31inch draw i like this bow and mike is easy to deal with and fun to visit with

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I've looked at this thread but also not posted yet. There are (as we all know) an awful lot of good (short) bows out there and I see a plethora of names I respect here - both the posters and the mentioned bows. I just want to add one more vote for the Anneewakee Addiction (made for Anneewakee by Lee Hoots of Hootsbows). I have had one since early summer and love it. Fell in love with them the first time I shot a couple of them in Sept of '09 - just took me awhile to get mine - LOL. I knew I wanted one from that first contact with them though. Lee Hoots is a NC bowyer, and Anneewakee Archery is also an NC company, and sponsor here at TG. It is owned by John Dill and is also home of the popular Kanati Quivers. Both John Dill and Lee Hoots are great folks and dedicated to producing/promoting products and service that will highly deserve their customers full support. They certainly, definitely have mine.

Me and my Anneewakee Addiction, "Blackie", and new Kanati Slim Jim Quiver (for 3 - flat blade BHs). A smooth drawing, hard punching, highly manuverable bow and hunting combination of 54", 50#@28":

Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
I hope this 54" Dark Archer is a good bow.  I got one on the way!!!
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Nice Full Draw shots Bernie! Lol! Sweet little bow too. I don't use a Stand like that, but your pics clearly show the advantage of a short bow out of the stand, major limb clearance. Looks like you'd have no trouble shooting a steeper angle either.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Thanks, Danny. The limb clearance is really comforting - LOL. Also it's great when seated, either in a stand or on a small stool, etc. in a ground stand/blind.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©