3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still Hunting Whitetails, any tips or suggestions?  (Read 746 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still Hunting Whitetails, any tips or suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Find funnels and main travel corridors and set up around them with a little ground cover.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
I have gotten a number of deer while still hunting from row to row in cornfields.  It is a bit harder these past few years, it seems the corn is shorter and the rows are narrower than they were back in the 60s and 70s.

Offline odiewan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Another recommendation for G Fred Asbell's book, Stalking and Still-Hunting.  Go PAINFULLY slow. Literaly 90-95% of your time standing and looking.  Only 5-10% of the time moving.  Use the wind to your advantage and if it's loud or crunchy find a spot for a blind.  Even if it's just sitting in the pines within bowshot of an apple tree.  You'll be surprised what will walk up on you.  Good luck.
Sean
Tempus Fugit

Offline kybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Look more, walk less

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
When it's dry and noisy in the woods, try to sound like a squirrel when you move. Never take three steps in a row without breaking up the rhythm... step step, pause, step. I use a walking stick, and frequently deliberately use the stick to make a sound along with my feet, so I don't sound like a human. If you sound like a squirrel, or another deer, you can get amazingly close without being completely silent.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I have still-hunted up within 20 feet of several whitetails- but- I couldn't see them but they saw me.

It is very difficult to actually stalk into shooting range of a whitetail- you may be in the right place/right time, but that is a very different thing than actually approaching deer and they not knowing or allowing you a shot. They almost always see you if it is anything but thick  cover. And then you can't get a shot because even though you are close enough you can't see them.

Its your movement,  that undercuts success.

Example: I knew a bucks favorite bed. He felt safe there and most approaches where through an old cut and very noisy. I waited until a rainy day and approached over moss covered dirt, through pines, above his bedding spot. It was the only approach that allowed silence. The downside was some of it had open patches. I was silent. I took two hours to cover 50 yards. I got very close. He still saw me though and all I saw was his magnificent rack floating away through the forest.

Whitetails have very good eyesight for movement.

Still-hunting will put you into deer, but not because you are "sneaking" up on them. You are actually allowing them to approach you because they don't know you are there yet.

A great way to hunt! Good luck!

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Thanks gentleman for the very good insight and information.  I will undoubtedly employ some of the suggestions and advice given.
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Buckeye Trad Hunter:
If you're gonna hunt from the ground then remember one thing.  If you don't think you can possibly move any slower, slow down.  Okay, I lied, two things.  Keep the wind in your face.
This is perfect info.  Also, if you are thinking about the ground blind, LBR has some that are very reasonable and very spacious.  for under 150 you can have one delivered.  Go to the sponsers classifieds and look at new hunting blind.  I got one and set it up last weekend and it was simple and sturdy.  I brushed it in well with cedars and it looks like part of nature.  Brushing them in is the key.  Hope this helps and good luck!
JT

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I just LOVE Stalking and Still Hunting! Do I get a deer every year using this method? Nope. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Hey... It's only hunting. Shouldn't it be fun? You Bet!

Try to locate an old video tape called "Eye Level Bucks" with Mike Lapinski. Covers a lot of points.

... mike ...

*** PS... Killdeer and Bonebuster are right on target! ***
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
If conditions are right, still-hunting with a bow, CAN be done.

The best advice I can add, is when you think you are moving slow enough...slow down! When you spend some time still hunting you should be tuckered out. Flat out spent. You must throw away the clock, and live by the time kept by the critters. You must have nothing you must go do, and you simply must accept the fact that you probably won`t even come close to getting a shot. It is time well spent.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by cpnhgnlngct:
G. Fred Asbell's book

"Stalking and Still-Hunting, The Ground Hunter's Bible"

Packed full of information that you can read and re-read every year before the season.
1,000 times yes.  If you do nothing else (and are really interested), you ought to read this book.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Keep the wind in your face.

I like still hunting parallel to a deer trail, stopping for a long time at each good piece of cover.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Okay, some of what I have has been covered.  Some was learned in the Corps other from experiance.  I am no expert, that said I have taken few deer, hogs and turkey still hunting.
1)play the wind, goes with out said, always know is direction
2)Look more than walk.  All animals have a hard time picking movement when body in motion.  Stop and study whats around you.  Before move plan your move.
3)when you look around, study everything, remember you need to see the animal before he knows your there, look for movement, straight lines, or something out of place.  Look for sign, one day was walking through slowly, looked down and seen water on leaf, knowing it hadn't rained figure it was a deer moving, stayed on course and followed fresh tracks, she busted me, but noticing it made a great experiance in stalking
4)When you move slow and deliberate, plan your steps, look down at the path and know where you are and where you want to end up and move slowly.  Take two and three steps and stop.
5)When you stop always try and stop next to a tree, bush or shrub to help conceal you.  Preferably in the shade, for harder for all animals to pick up shape and movement in shade than light.
6)If you think you seen movement, you did!  WE have tendancy to talk ourselves out of things, animals don't they realy on instinct.  If you seen something, you did, but was it a squirrels tail, a bird or an animal you are afer, see next
7)to me the most important is the hardest, PATIENCE!  Whe you go stalk and animal, forget the clock, animals don't wear them, and the only thing on your mind is move when the animal tells you to, If you are thinkging its been 10 minutes, maybe I can get by with doing this, you will be busted.  Many great stalker, are known for waiting for long time to move when the animal moves.
8)Study the animal, is it nervous, eating, moving with others (always look for second or third animal).  There behavior will obviously dictact what you may get away with
9)On deer a turkey call helps in certain places, and yes turkey's can be stalked.
10)Use Terrain, use the dips and draws to advantage taking the wind into consideration.  blowdown and/or fallen trees for long sighting stops.  If can circle around a hill, to get better advantage of and animal position, the longer road usually has better pay off.
11)Dirt is our friend, may people are afraid to get down and crawl on all fours or belly.  there are plenty of times when its better, low sillouete, more control over movement.  Funny how a turkey with two legs sounds like a person making alot of noise walking, but a four legged animal like deer seems to appear out of no where without making noise, instead of on contact with earth, there are three, huh, imagine that
12)concentric rings-  I heard this along time ago and read it several times as well as seen it.  If one animal in the woods gives off alarm, will set off a small chain reaction with others, like a squirrel barking at you, then the deer you are stalking is little more alert to something wrong, then deer bolts, bumps another deer, then they run into turkeys they run yada yada.  Works both ways too, many times as am sure others will relate, sit there and out of blue hear a squirrel bark at something, then look here comes a big buck.
Just some of what I have experianced and found works for me and few others I got into it.  Remember, to have fun, many busted stalks taught me alot and great memories.  Go Slow

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the great info.  I have ordered G.Fred Asbells book and should get it by next week.  I think the patience part of still-hunting will be my biggest challenge...
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I think the turkey call idea is awesome! have not thought about that?. Not much still slippin around here - to thick too noisy - Montana should be good slippin country.

But even hanging out in a ground blind a cluck or purr might help place deer at ease.

Gonna try it!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©