3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dose pee spook deer?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
Dose pee spook deer?
« on: October 12, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
I have always pee'd in a bottle when deer hunting.
I was talking to a hunting buddy of mine and he said that deer are not spooked by human pee.
 On the same note dose dip spit spook deer?

Offline bozara

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dose pee spook deer?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
Pee = no
Dip = ?
65# @ 27" Dale Dye one piece recurve
62# @ 27" Dale Dye TD recurve
58# @ 27" Dale Dye Medicine Point RC
65# Montana Bow Works long bow

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
I say no it does not spook them and I have I friend that chews and kills more deer than anyone I know he swears that they they are attracted to red man.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Sometimes it scares them to death.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I will say no to the pee.  I used to carry a bottle, but haven't in years.  Hasn't made a bit of difference that I can tell.  I don't spit so I can't answer the other.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
After thinking about it I will pee at my stand this afternoon and get back to you with first hand results. But I ain't chewing no nasty red man.

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I've always peed from my treestand onto the ground. The deer kept coming back. so.....
And I've read somewhere that the pheromones evaporate shortly after being released in air and on ground, and that it is those human pheromones that could give us up to a deer's nose. So....

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Human urine is sterile and being such carrys little or no human scent in it.  I have always wondered how well a deer can differentiate between various animals urine scent.  Human dung on the other hand freaks them out.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
According to a University of Wisconsin study, one of the best attractants is ammonia.

I watched a video they made of a man inside a brush pile with an open container of ammonia and at least one major buck came and was trying to tear into the brush pile to get at the ammonia..lol

Human urine doesn't seem to bother the deer here in Missouri.

I have urinated in their scrapes just to see if they stopped using them and the answer is most definitely NO!

God bless,Mudd

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Only if they are under you when you pee.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bowbert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
I've proven to myself that deer aren't spooked.  Countless times I've had deer walk through a wet spot at the bottom of my tree without anything more than curiousity.  Had a coyote do the same last year.  

I used a pee jug for a lot of years, but no more.

Offline kybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
I used a bottle for years until one day in the early 80's. I was 20' up a tree in Yellowbanks and had to go like a racehorse!! I realized I forgot my "bottle" and just had to let her rip right out of the stand. Not more than 45 minutes later the biggest doe I had ever seen, arse like a brown mule!!, along with two fawns walked directly underneath me and never knew I was there. Haven't used one since!! JMHO

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
I can't believe this one hasn't been laid to rest by the Mythbusters!  You can search this, there are lots of posts. The answer is....only if you whizzed on one's head.  I haven't carried a pee jug for many years and I've killed deer standing in my puddles.  I've also had them sniff spit years ago when I dipped, but that may vary by flavor so I can't make any guarantees. I gave it up for my health and wallet, there are better deer attractants. If one sees or smells YOU while answering natures call, you're busted.  What really pisses me off (pardon the pun) is when they start snickering!     :biglaugh:  

I.P. Freely
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Yeah I have heard of guys making mock scrapes and peeing in them.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Just pee in a scrape and put a game cam up, I couldn't believe it.

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
On nearby public ground there is a ravine that has a bunch of pop bottles with pee in them.  The tree sitters that hunt there apparently don't want to take it home with them. They would not admit to the trash nor would anyone blieve that it did not make deer spook.
I have seen Levi Garret chew make a fawn jump four feet straight up and then both fawns and their mama ran for a half mile to the next valley. However, I have had deer come straight at me from down wind smelling my English pipe tobacco.  The doe that circled me for twenty minutes the other night apparently could not smell past the Muskol that I was bathing in or was it the quart of ice tea that I was drowning all of the ants around me with?  You only rent anything with caffeine in it.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Swallow the red-man then pee.

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
OK guys, I'm going to leave the pee bottle at home!
Thanks for the advise!

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Penn State  did a study about 10 years ago . They found that deer can tell urine from other substances  BUT they cant tell what animal or man it came from.  All they know is its urine and   usualy dissapated prior to thier comming in contact They ahve nodea what it came from and they find urine all over the outdoors .
 Wont spook them
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Wow, I feel alone here. I also had to pee severely once without a bottle. I was so scent concious I was almost miserable back then. I let it go with tears in my eyes and several minutes later, one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen snuck his way in UPWIND until he was plus or minus ten yards. Too much brush to shoot....just waiting for him to step out, but I was terrified about my pee. He made one more step, caught wind of what I have always assumed was my fairly warm pee and acted like someone threw a hand grenade at him. LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG gone!  
I always thought it was of course the urine and have been torturing myself for years.
Maybe not... from this post???? The wind was in my favor bigtime, but he got close to that pee.
Guess I'll never know now!
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©