3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dose pee spook deer?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dose pee spook deer?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Yup I am a stand, uh, urinater.  

Hey guys, how do you spell it?

peer? peeer? peier?  :dunno:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Been saying this for years.   :laughing:  The second Saturday afternoon of the early Jersey season this year  after squirting 2 times out of my portable. I had a 60/70 lb Doe and her 2- 30 lb fawns under my stand for 45 minutes. Just couldn't bring myself to wacking any of them.I should bottle mine as curiousity scent!!     :laughing:

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
letter fly!! Shot my biggest buck just after zipping up!

Offline Brook Trout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
If they can't differentiate human pee from other animal pee.  Then doe in rut urine shouldn't work, right?  I don't know the answer, but I haven't noticed any harm from peeing on the ground.

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
I pee through a small piece of Scent Lok material.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Outfitter in Illinois made us pee in a bottle. Mason peed all over a dogwood tree under our stand a few years back and had a buck come under it while his pee was still dripping off the dogwood tree ! The buck never knew we were there. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Pee doesn't bother them and I don't think the chew does either.  I have actually saw deer come in and lick the spot where I was spitting before I quit chewing.  My uncle that I hunt with has had the same experience.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Saw Myles Keller dipping years ago and I asked him if he dipped in the stand. He said that he did. I have used his response as a rationalization to keep on with my own habit.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
The scrape by my stand keeps getting bigger and I whizzed on it twice so far.

If there is a bow in my hand there is also a chew of Red Man in my cheek. Trying to spit on chipmunks helps pass the time.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Deer like tobacco.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
MY one time brother-in-law used to smoke a doobie in his stand. Boy sure killed a lot of deer.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Sportsmans program that used to air in Michigan hosted by a guy by the name of Fred Troost (sp) took up this very questions much to the annoyance of one local scent manufacturer.  I watched as he dumped a quart of fresh squeezed ummm Fred Juice across the back of a doe decoy and shortly there after several deer came right up to the deer decoy to take a whiff.  Also showed him making a mock scrape with his own urine as well as ammonia fertilizer which both worked rather well.  Seems the location was more important than the specific odor and deer are naturally curious critters.  I recall he did end up getting sued but cant tell you if he lost.

I personally pee in scrapes and off my stand and have never actually had it make a difference.  I check carefully before I let 'er rip so I dont scare them with the sound.  Also never had them react to Copenhagen spit and I chewed for several years while bow hunting.  Cant say for sure on the tobacco but thats  been my experience.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline bearbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
To pee or not to pee...................I pee

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
I pee too!
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
I have tried peeing in scrapes and have never had one abandoned.

Several years ago, right after peeing out of my stand, I had a small group of deer pass downwind of me, all does and fawns.  They caught my scent and snorted a little, but could not locate me. I was only about 10 feet above ground (bottom of platform).  After several minutes, one doe ended up underneath me, sniffing where I just went.  She put her back legs together and peed down her hind legs exactly on top of where I peed several minutes earlier.

I never worry about peeing on stand.  Don't chew the Redman on stand for fear of getting busted leaning over to spit.  Hunt on the ground mostly these days.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
I have killed two deer that licked the leaves I just peed on. Both were young deer, a doe and a small 9 point. I have no idea what a big buck would do.

I pee.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline stykbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Never mattered, I usually spook 'em slinging arras!
Other things being equal, it is the man who
shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark.
                 Saxon Pope
For an Archer, to release an arrow is to release a part
of himself.
Fred Bear

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I also pee right in nearby scrapes, on purpose. I've never seen anything but positive results.

Here's what deer do NOT like the smell of...scented shaving cream, deoderant soap (Irish Spring style), aftershave, cologne, minty toothpaste, scented shampoo, fresh scent laundry det, spring fresh dryer sheets, gasoline on boots, carpet freshener on boots, anything close then on your hands/on your boots/pant legs, etc.

If the wind if right, chew or a cigarette won't bother them. If the wind is wrong, I've heard both that sometimes they don't bother deer and sometmes deer fall over themselves getting out of there.

My persnal experience is, cherry skoal doesn't bother them. Wintergreen or mint does.

However, there are always exeptions. A few years back, I was chainsawing multiple long shooting lanes for a rifle blind, alone. I'd cut some, go sit in the blind, look, mentally mark trees, walk back, cut more, etc. Well, after about 1/2 hour of this, I made a cut, walked back to the blind and sat down. I bent down to grab a water I had on the ground, looked back up and a 6pt was standing right in my new lane, smelling the chainsaw I left there. Needless to say, the buck didn't give a rip, ate a couple fresh cut leaves and slowly walked off.
Now, starving deer in the dead of winter are known to do this, but this was in lush august. Go figure.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Hey Jesse. I stopped using the bottle several years ago and has made no difference. I actually see and kill more deer than ever these last few years. I don't think it's because of the pee, just saying it sure doesn't seem matter.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
A human smells like. . . a human!  All other things; bug-dope, aftershave, baby powder etc etc. including urine, may or may not be associated with human- at the same time, they may cause curiosity.

I quit worrying about it a long time ago when one of the better mature buck hunters I know was using some Brute # ?? for deodorant.  If the deer can smell your deodorant he already has smelled you! I also talked with Judd Cooney years ago at some event where he advocated using babypowder as a wind checker.  He liked the fact that it had a perfume odor as he could then catch the whiffs of scent in the air knowing how the thermals were drifting.  I hold with his view- an animal has no idea that baby powder is associated with a human.  

I have been using bug-dope in various settings the past few years and yet to notice any real problem.

A downwind mature deer has you nailed- period. Strategic access to the stand, your boots carrying foreign smells from the car and your human smelling pant-legs rubbing off on brush are far more a problem.  

My 2C
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©