3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow weight reduction  (Read 339 times)

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
bow weight reduction
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
i spoke to the bowyer he said he can take off about 4 lbs maybe more .i have a set of limbsthat are 55 at 27 so 4lbs would get me down to roughly51-50.my question is this is 4-5 lbs does that make a big diff and has any done this and were u pleased ? i think it would make a difference in accuracy for me

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow weight reduction
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
try going up 4-5 pounds and see if that makes a Difference. I would say it would make a lot- either way.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
It can make a difference,if the 55#@27 is at your limit.If you want to go down more I would look to maybe sell or trade your limbs for a lighter set,if it is a T/D.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Yes, 4-5 lbs. DOES make a difference. You will be able to tell the diff. and you should shoot better.
   :)    :archer2:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
I have had 2 sets of limbs reduced 5#, and reduced a couple of bows myself 5#. The difference 5# makes is night and day.

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
I agree, 5 lbs can make a huge difference in comfort and accuracy.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I do weight reductions all the time and when the guys call me back they say almost to a man that the bow is a better shooter and they can control it better so they shoot better. 4-5 pounds is a huge difference.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline alex m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Ditto.  I had an injury and went from a 50# down to a 45#. It made all the difference I needed. I can still shoot a hundred shots a day, and my accuracy has improved, too. Alex
The unknown wilderness has said to me: “Come sit in our green shade and commune with the Great Spirit in our leafy cathedrals while the choirs of bird-song fill your ears.” –Howard Hill

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
I had a Great Northern and a Northern Mist that I bought used reduced by 5# and it was worth every penny I spent!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
I took 5#'s off of one of the bows I own and it made a huge difference. Its almost like shooting a different bow.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Yes, it does make a difference. If you plan on keeping the bow, don't hesitate to spend the money. Make sure you choose someone to do the work that is experienced. Trad Gang's own "Whip"(Prairie Traditions) does great work and is quite dependable. Contact him for advice and recommendations. Also contact the original bowyer. He knows more about your bow than anyone. Good luck and "Keep'Um Sharp".  :archer2:

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
With the arthritis in my shooting hand fingers, I can tell a difference in 2 pounds, 5 pounds is huge.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©