3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: i'm cornfused(arrow flight video on page 2)  (Read 651 times)

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: i'm cornfused(arrow flight video on page 2)
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Its rare when things come together like that, so go with it. I shoot a higher nock point than I need, for some of the reasons mentioned. Its just flat out more forgiving for me.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
the way i'm shootin this bow i wont be changing a thing.i'm smackin arrows together almost every shot.groups are real tight.i think i'll video this to show you guys.gotta love it when things just fall into place.   :D    :D
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Nope, I think you're just confused!   :laughing:  Send me a PM of that bow braced. I liked the looks of your last one.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »

here it is tw
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
strike one

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Gotta shoot that one! I like the looks of the bow as a whole. Good looking limb veneers.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
heres the best i could do right now.this is shootin through my apt,12 yds to spare room.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
click on pic to see video.as you can see my first arrow was a little high but i kept shootin at it anyway.very tight grouping with these vanes and an overspined arrow.go figure eh.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
That bow is a beauty. Looks like you got a big win with the arrow fit too, some bows just like more spine and a higher nock.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »
thanks bjorn

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
I'd almost bet it's your high nocking point that is allowing you to shoot those arrows well.

Several years ago there was a fella building really fast bows named Bill Matlock.  His bows were called Predator bows or Matlock Predator but I don't believe he's around any more and the current Predator bow company may or may not be anything related.

Anyway, he was a bit like O.L. Adcock in that he did a lot of testing to squeak out a couple of fps here, a couple there and pretty soon had some real fast bows.  Very knowledgable fella.  He came to the United Bowhunters of Missouri Rendezvous several times and one year put on a seminar about bow tuning.  The main thing I recall was that he stressed starting real high with your nock point and working down when tuning rather than starting low and working up like most people.  He'd start at about an inch or more high and often got great flight long before you would think possible.  In fact, he got such good flight with high nock points he started to experiment with various spines from multiple bows and found that for some reason a nock point of around 3/4" to 1" was very forgiving of spine.  In his demo, he shot the same arrow out of bows from about 35# to 65# and showed good flght and accuracy.

Personally, I've always stayed around 1/2" to 9/16" but I always remembered Bill and his high nock points.  This was close to 10 years ago or so.  I'm not certain but I don't know if he's still alive.  I believe I recall something about him being in bad health not long after and I never hear about his bows any more.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
makes sense then.if i move it down to where i normally have it i'll lose the shootability of these arrows...oh well..guess thats that.makes sense to me,thanks dave.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Sounds like you've got a late "wet" season setup and a regular season setup figured out with the bow. What is the height of those Blazers?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I think Dave Bulla has it. There was an article in an old TBM about shooting vanes off the shelf by raising the nock point. I remember reading it an thinking I might tie on a nock higher just for those wet days, and keeping an arrow or two with vanes handy. My Samick recurve also shoots vanes perfectly from the same nock point as my feathers. I expect the paradox is causing it to clear the shelf.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
david...they are just a bit over a half inch at the highest point

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Might have something here Larry. When hunting in Oregon those rainy days are tough on feather fletching.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Well that is plain cool, definately keep 4 or 5 for a rainy day.
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Could just be a real over stiff arrow running off the riser and throwing the back of the arrow clear of everything.  The back being thrown out offsets the stiff shooting start of the point flight.  Basically a false tune vs. a false weak.  I have done this with bows and they shot great as long as I didn't get too sloppy with the form.  Who is to say that is not just fine?  You could try less point weight to see if it gets (false) weaker or try more point weight to see if it act stiffer as it moves from false tune or false weak to stiff.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Hvae you shot them at 25-30 yards? 12 yards can fool ya....been there done that.

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Great post, I'll have to give the high nock point a try.  Thanks, Ward

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©