3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 more long days New York!  (Read 988 times)

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 more long days New York!
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
since we have 5 weekends this year, I'm taking a 5 day pass on opening day to go chase them up north with a smoke pole in some back woods on a canoe/tenting opportunity.  Good luck all, have fun, and leave me one in the southern zone please.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Brian, Don't tell anyone!   :readit:    :rolleyes:  There is always a portion of overtime going to the bow fund.

Good for you Bob.  I'm Taking the first week of November myself.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I say forget the early morning sit and go into the woods about 8:30, the rain will have stopped or let up and the deer will move than. I have from Nov. 5th. to the 22nd. off! Should be good hunting than!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Brian, I hunted that property years ago with a rifle!!Looks kind of the same still!! Izzy 5 stands? You better get busy buddy!! I just finished my 57th. yesterday!! I know, I know, how do ya hunt them all? I don't I usually sit maybe 25 or 30 different ones each year, but I want a stand for every wind and changing conditions and I hate hanging a stand in mid season, although I hung 4 last year during the season!  :rolleyes:    :bigsmyl:
Shawn

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Good to see ya Shawn!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline PhilNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
Wow Shawn I would be happy just to have enough energy to hang a third of those stands. My hat goes off to you bud. Have a good season.
Phil

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
Shawn, some of my stands are 80 miles apart so I cant even use them to take advantage of changing winds.  :banghead:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Well everything is set now and Im still getting those nigt before butterflies (Cool!) after 25 years of hunting. Good news is that my shooting problem worked itself out, it was a poor anchor. Hopefully I can put Jackson on a blood trail tomorrow. Its date night for wifey and I so Im outa here. Be safe, enjoy yourselves and good luck!

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
The week is finally over. Just gonna wait on the rain and sharpen some broadheads. I have a stand set up in a most beautiful spot that I can't wait to sit in. I've seen lots of deer near it and sign all over the place. Its a win win for me. Just hope I get the shot and finish it off. Best of luck to everyone and thanks for helping me through the past 3 days! See you tomorrow for the stories!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Good luck guys! Im so bent that I have to work...I will be hoping for you all!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Jamie can ya do a evening sit? Izzy, I know that is tough for ya!! I will be hunting in the evening in a bottom out of the wind. I killed a 100" 8 pt. in there last year and never sit it before November but I have a feeling, so if the wind is good, I will be in there. I just got back a long lost friend, a 7 Lakes LB that Bob Brown bought from me years ago and I just got it back two days ago. I have it tuned and ready to go!! I hope we all enjoy our first day!! Good Luck boys!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Good luck and shoot straight gentlemen(and ladies),I just have to double check my lumbar pac for all the goodies, sounds like it's going to be a nice day in Western N.Y. tomorrow.  Gerald
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Shawn,

Make some meat with it.

Bob
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2010, 04:43:00 AM »
At work right now. Get out 7:30 this morning then to bed for a few hours. Will be out with the ML this weekend then heading  south to bowhunt Monday & Tuesday. Good luck to all.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Just got back from the AM hunt. Overall pretty successful. I set out of my house at 0545 and start the walk in the dark. I start nearing an area that Ive been scouting with plenty of sign at about 0640. I hear a very near coyote, followed by a full orchestra of howls that send a chill up my spine. I decided to hold what I got at that location for a bit. After I no longer hear the pack I continue the move to my spot right behind a rock fence. Im in place by 0700

At 0720 I was within 40 yards from 4 mature does that came from right where I had walked through. Everyone of them offered me a broadside shot. I observed them for about 10 minutes and was praying that they would move closer.     :pray:  
The wind was howling in all directions and the closer doe, spots something out of place or smells something. Her and I get into a stare down and in one quick blow, they are all gone.

Im very happy with this mornings hunt. I'll be heading back this evening.     :pray:

Good luck to all the others out today.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I saw three small bucks this morning...beautiful morning...life is good!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
You should talk to your wildlife management agency. There is no biological reason for the opening of deer season to be delayed so long.  When I arrived in KY as the wildlife director in 1995 the season opened on October 1st. Now it opens on the first Saturday in September. Some complain that September is too hot. On opening day this year the morning temperature was 53 degrees. In fact, every morning since the season opened has been very comfortable.

Once the fawns have lost most of their spots (by late August), they are fine without the doe.

Sometimes agencies get stuck in the past until sportsmen wake em up.

I'm not suggesting your season start the first of Septembrer but the 3rd week of September or October 1st would be fine and greatly increase hunter recreation days with no threat to the deer herd.

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
I had a fat doe jump the string on me this morning.  I had to stop here from walking with a little grunt so she was alert on the shot.. just caught the top of her back, took off some hair but she's fine.  Happy it wasn't a bad hit, just wish I could have connected with a good shot.  One more very smart doe in the woods of wny now.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Went out this afternoon. Other than some heavy wind gusts, it was a gorgeous sit. I got winded at about 5:30 while in my popup blind and when I checked there were 8 deer downwind in the field right behind me at about 50 yards. I was going to set a stand on the treeline where they were but couldn't settle on a tree. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Hunting?   :thumbsup:  good luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<