3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MIckey Mouse Boots  (Read 519 times)

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
MIckey Mouse Boots
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
I've heard people say the old MM boots used by bomber plane crews were really very warm. Any experiences with them?
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MIckey Mouse Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
They are the warmest boot you'll ever own. But they are extremely heavy and you don't wanna be walking around in them.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
They are also very easy to get wet wrinkly feet due to sweating when you walk in them, since they don't breathe at all. If you do wear them and are active, you need to change your socks often, maybe use some foot powder to dry your feet and prevent blisters.
Also expect to be pretty clumsy in them until you get a feel for their size.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
To help keeping your feet dryer, you can use Bama Sock, they are made to be used in rubber boots, and they work magic!!http://www.deakin.com/shop/products/?p=5150
try them out!
Cheers

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
If white boots, never use them in a heavily pressured area where there could even be the likelyhood of poachers. My dad's buddy had bullets hitting at his feet when he wore white MM boots. In heavily hunted area's, anything white is dangerous, even before firearms season. White hat, white scarf, white gloves, white boots, etc. In my opinion.

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
Mr. Speer,
They are outstanding!
My wife and I have used them (the white ones) extensively for the last 19 years.
Best Wishes

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
I had them on for a muskox at 35 below and toasty warm! I understand the white one are better than the black ones.

Offline elkhunter752

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
In my experiences, they are the warmest boot a person can buy.  I have the white ones and love them for ice-fishing, snomobiling, and sitting somewhere in the cold.  You can dunk your foot in the ice water and never know.  The biggest problem with them for a lot of hunting is how heavy they are.  There isn't anything light about them.  As Steve said, I too have heard the white ones are better than the black ones.
Dillon Martini

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
Used them in Ak back in the 80s. Very warm. Your feet will sweat as mentioned and therefore can get cold later if you don't change socks. If active while feet are wet, no big deal. If you sit at length with wet feet, look out.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
I have a couple pair....never had a cold toe with them on. I recently saw an episode of "Ice Road Truckers". I noticed several of the DOT guys working on the Dalton Highway wearing them. That should be a real testament to their warmth!

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info. I own a pair of the black ones. Just never used them cause my feet freeze in rubber boots. I guess I'll give them a try in the blind. Once it gets cold.

I had a PM this morning. A fella TGer offered me a pair of them. Can't beat the generosity of the good folks here.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
If you have "sweaty feet" spay them down good with ANTI-PERSPERANT, it makes a difference anytime of the year....jarhead trick learned from humping a 40lb pack and a 40lb M2 receiver.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
I wore them in the Corps and they are warm but very cumbersome. Vapor barrier boots are hard to walk in and I would not recommend using them with anything other than a ground hunt.they give you a false feeling due too the size of the toe(width and height) part of the boot.An 1800 gram thinsulate lacrosse boot with a poly or silk sock under wool will work just as good.Foot warmth is all about wicking away water from the foot.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
I can sit all day in the coldest weather wearing mine, but stalking is a real challenge. The white ones are suppose to be warmer than the black.

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Mr. Speer,
If I recall correctly, the white Bunny Boots with the "valve stem" are rated to -70 degrees below 0 (F).  The black ones (without the stem) are only rated to -20 degrees.
Best Wishes

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I have had about every kind of boot imaginable.  The bunny boots are as good as any but for my toes I have never had any boot that will keep them "toasy warm" with temperatures in single digits for a prolonged period.
Uncomfortably bearable is a better description.

Offline penrosefred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I us them all the time for ice fishing, never cold feet
I have been blessed, beyond measure.

Offline PhilNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
The black ones are smaller and probably a bit better for getting around. Be very careful if you go up a tree. White ones are awesome for ice fishing and both have more walking support for arches than pac boots. Nothing light about them. I could never get them to work with my climber and feel clumsey going up a tree, so only fixed stands with big steps for me.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Do appreciate all the comments. Mine are the black ones with the valve stems. I quit climbing. Too old & fat. I'll just pack them into the woods & put them on when I get to my blind.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

- Erastus Wiman

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
I have an old pair of the white ones and I can attest to the fact that they will keep your feet warm and I can't chew gum and walk in them..lol

I think mine are for the most part... shot!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©