3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY butcher or do you pay?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY butcher or do you pay?
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
I right with you on that one Charlie, I'm 0 for 4 on tags so far. Thats not including my turkey tag!

Online crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2010, 04:05:00 AM »
We used to do our own. We hung everything in my dads garage and at the end of the season we all got together and did the butchering. Was almost as fun as hunting. My dad is gone now and I don't have anywhere to do it so we take them to a friend with a walk in cooler and he does them for $20 each.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
I learned by necessity.  During bow season it can be warm even here in Minnesota.  And alot of buthcers aren't open on Sunday's unless it is rifle season.  So for the best results, I skin my deer immediately upon recovery, and away I go. I'm no pro, however get the back straps, and some steaks.  The balance I freeze and take in well after Rifle Season for Grinding.  I find you can get your own trimmings back after the Rush.

I have also seen too many "DEER" that I wouldn't want mixed in with my clean meat by dropping off at the Butcher.

It takes me a while, but the wife kinda enjoys helping out.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2010, 06:02:00 AM »
Always do my own so I know I get everything, always a question when I had 1 or 2 butchered at a shop. Amazes me how little trimmed out meat a deer provides. But it is good and just the way we like it-no fat,bones,or silver covering.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
Always do my own. Paid once and the meat was horrible. I really believe that if you use a bone saw the meat just isn't the same. I never cut through bones and always just trim around them.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
I grew up in a family that owned a packing house.  I have never taken one there though.  I do take meat for summer sausage.  

The processing is not bad pricewise.  The real trouble is gutting the deer.  If a fellar don't gut it, my family always said it was because they were too lazy and they PAID for the gutting.  Deer processing was $45ish, but gutting was $15 by itself.  

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
IndianaBowman is right. Never use a bonesaw on deer meat.  I don't know what it does, but it aint good.  Deer bones are the hardest bones out there.  Beef and pork bones are like butter in comparison.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
I do my own.  Problem is, I don't get enough practice   :)  ...

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
I've been butchering my own since my grandfather taught me many many moons ago, & also with my license fee it just makes sence because of the cost.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
I do it myself most of the time. I live in an apartment tho and elk can be a job. I've taken a few of them to a local plant and they do a fine job and cost is $175.00 sausage and jerky is extra.Frank

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
I do my own. I know what I'm getting that way.
bolong

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
I do my own unless it’s real warm out and no sign of a cool down coming. I’m just old, slow and frugal.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Myself
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
We used to do everything ourselves, but a few years ago I found a guy that will skin and debone a deer for $15.  He does a great job! Once we get it back, we make our own jerky, cut steaks and grind burger.  He just does the dirty work for a great price, really helps out.

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
I used to drive longhaul and didn't have the time, so I had to depend on the local butcher.
Once I stopped doing that and was home every night I started doing it myself again.

I was boning and freezing the meat to be ground until after all the seasons were closed. Then I would take it in to be ground and packaged. I didn't ahve a grinder and this would insure that I got MY deer back.( I got a thing about getting other guys shot up, half spoiled meat back).
That even got expensive. One locker charged $75.00 for the meat from two mature does to be ground. The next year I went to a different locker. They were cheaper but I took 45 lbs of meat to them and after they added beef fat I got 36 lbs back!   :mad:  

I gained access to a grinder after that.

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Have always done it myself until this past year. My son killed a young buck, and with a time crunch at hand we decided to take it to the local butcher, and wow they did a great job.  It only cost around 65 dollars, well worth it. I am sure I will begin showing my son how to do it, but not opposed to taking one to the butcher.
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Do my own. Like to know what I'm getting back is actually mine. I've seen/heard to many people mis-handle prime venison and then complain about the wild taste.   :banghead:

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
I cut my own. The only thing I dont do is if I am having any burger or sausage made I take that in but that will change.

Online hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Been cutting up my own since Dad taught me how years ago. Only thing I do not do is grind the burger. I have that done at my local butcher. Usally have it mixed with beef. We buy the beef they mix and grind for free.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Did it myself for 30 years andthan I found a local guy who owns a horse farm and butchers deer. He does a great job and does burger as well as sausage for $55. It takes me 4 or 5 hours total from skinning and quartering to freezer and about $25 in materials, so for $55 he gets all my business except the fawns I shoot. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©