3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 Blade's and lighter weight bows?  (Read 595 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Blade's and lighter weight bows?
« on: October 13, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
The deer I killed last weekend was the first time I ever used a 3 blade head. I liked the results and bloodtrail.

Please tell me your experiences with 3 blades and lighter bows....say 45# and less. Thanks!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Blade's and lighter weight bows?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
After I had shoulder surgery I was shooting 3 blades off a couple 40 to 45 pound bows with great success.

Like all broadheads...sharp and good shot placement wins every time.

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
My son was drawing about 40# at that time. 200 gr WW on a 200 gr Redline shaft.

U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks. Great pics of your son, by the way

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Cool.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
That's what I call a blood trail. Congrats to your son. I'm curious. Do you know how much your entire son's arrow weighs with regards to grains?
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Right at 400 grains..200 gr point 200 gr shaft. Fly like darts
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
For deer, or other medium sized game, there are many combinations of broadhead style and shaft weight, and FOC that will work.

If you are hunting Large Game like Elk and Moose, sticking with time tested, field proven, heavy shafts with sharp 2-blade broadheads and high FOC is the way to go. Just my 2 cents.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Oh I agree on the bigger game....I should have said "on whitetails"....thanks.

I have seen some impressive penetration by 2 blade heads, including on the caribou I shot several years ago. But these days, it's pretty much Michigan whitetails for me. And I have had some disapointing trails the last few years. I have had bigger deer, especially FAT deer, hardly bleed at all on perfect double lung shots. I'm convinced that the tallow they are carrying fom feeding on the oaks and the corn seals up like a Rhinehart 3D target! I may be a 3 blade convert.....

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Roger,

Don't worry a bit.  A guy I know with a big farm in Iowa that shoots 20-30-40 does a year with a low 50s bow and the BIG Snuffers.  Sometimes he waits till things are just right and shoots thru two at a time.  This past year he had to drop down to right around 40 lbs with a bum shoulder and had NO problems shooting thru a pile of does.

Those Trailmakers are like a knitting needle compared to a big Snuffers  In fact, I know guys that shoot ELK with Woodsmen and Snuffers with ~50# bows all the time...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Thanks Steve....my next Shrew is only going to be 50#'s or so...and I'm loving these 3 blade heads.

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
Wow, we could learn from a fellow that shoots 20 to 40 whitetails a year. Great post.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Roger, The more you hunt with them, and kill critters with them,  you'll come to luv the 3 bladers even more!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I agree Guru. All things considered, I'm wondering if the doe I killed last weekend would have been such a happy story had I been shooting something else. I have to be honest and admit (again) that I wasn't happy with my shot...yet it was the best bloodtrail I have had in years.

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
I have used the muzzy 125 gr. three blade for the past 4 or 5 seasons.500 gr. arrow 50 to 52# bows no peoblems at all.I've only had one shot that wasnt a pass through.And that one got caught up in the off side shoulder.After breaking the on side shoulder of a very large doe.I like em.Jim
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
I'm normally shooting about 45# at my draw and I've had good luck with three-blade heads.  I didn't have especially good blood trails, but I didn't need them so much as the critters went down quickly.

I may not have been getting them as sharp as they should have been either.  I think we blame our own 'less than sharp' broadheads for poor blood trails when it was really our own fault for not getting them super sharp.

PS, The new KME bench stones work great for getting three bladed broadheads sharp.

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Rodd Szmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
VERY NICE!

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Todd-
What type (Ceramic, Arkansas, or DMT) KME bench stone is your favorite?
thanks,
Ward

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Roger,

It's all relative.  You're using a three blade head and I know you're using axis shafts.  I think axis buys you a little lighter poundage for the same point on a wood shaft due to less flex on impact and skinnier arrow diameter.  If you've got over two hundred grains up front, that takes a couple more pounds off (versus just a 125 grain head on the end of a wood shaft). Look at the Ashby report where he's talking about this percentage of gain with one variable over the other.  I'm not going to say an exact gain, but I'd guess that a three blade head on a axis shaft with a one hundred grain steel adapter out of a forty five pound bow would be the same as a one hundred twenty five grain head on a wood arrow (not considering forgewood of course) from a 53-55# bow with the same overall arrow weight per pound.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris 2:
The deer I killed last weekend was the first time I ever used a 3 blade head. I liked the results and bloodtrail.

Please tell me your experiences with 3 blades and lighter bows....say 45# and less. Thanks!
My grandfather hunted for decades with a 42# recurve, swagged aluminum shafts, and 125-grain 3-blade heads. He rarely every left an arrow in a deer. Get it sharp, get it flying straight, get it where it belongs. The rest is academic.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©