3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 blade vs.3blade for better blood trails  (Read 2223 times)

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
2 blade vs.3blade for better blood trails
« on: October 14, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
i know these is a beating a dead horse   :deadhorse:   but what are your expeirences with both.i killed my first deer using a 2 blade and wasnt really impressed with the blood trail compared to a snuffer 150(note it was a heart shot down in 40 yds.)tell me your thoughts dont want a debate just your expeirences
i like biscuits

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 blade vs.3blade for better blood trails
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
:campfire:  (couldn't find a popcorn eating graemlin)
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
I have killed a lot with both, havent seen much difference.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
:coffee:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
3 blad snuffer SS did better then 2 blad stinger with bleeder blades for me  :archer:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
sorry guys just no real expeirence with them and dont want to change my setup into the season just dont want too loose any game because of a poor blood trail
i like biscuits

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
A poor blood trail can happen with either, and with a good shot too.  Exactly as you said: "dont want to change my setup into the season" - your confidence with what you have is most important.

Believe in what you have, relax, and go hunt.

Nobody wants to loose an animal, but even in the best circumstances, it might happen.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
One thing I like about 2 blades is that, at least in my case, it seems I have a better chance of poking through both sides of the deer.  Also with a 2 blade head I can sneak that arrow right through that deers rib cage and they do not even know they were stuck with something. Until they fall over.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
  :campfire:    (couldn't find a popcorn eating graemlin)
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
I have had both and almost always have a better blood trail with the 3 blade. I will say shot placement is a difference maker as well. If you shoot from a elevated spot and can get a exit low opposite side you will probably have a better trail regardless of head used.   :coffee:
USMC 82-86

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
As BobW put it a poor blood trail can occur with any head.  I have killed numerous deer with 2, 3, and 4 blade heads.  Without a doubt on average the 3 and 4 blade heads lead to more blood on the ground.  

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Have used razor sharp 2-blades only for 30+ years w/o problem & I'm right. My friend Mike Bolin is a very good hunter & uses razor sharp 3-blades for a good long time w/o problems & he's right. Let your confidence decide & keep 'em sharp. My highhorse ain't so high anymore.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
If your shot is good then both arrows will provide a short blood trail, which is what we all strive for.  However, sometimes arrows go astray and hit a little far back.  Under those circumstances I'll opt for a three blade head which under most circumstance will leave a little more on the ground.  

Where I live the deer hunting is in and around thickets and a good blood trail is huge in helping to locate the animal, even when a good shot is made. The area also has unlimited doe tags so I've been on a ton of blood trails.  Maybe it's just my eyes but a three blade has always given me a better trail to follow.  I can't comment on 4 blades just because I haven't used them.  

Tim

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
All you have to do is follow a blood trail made by a 3 blade Wensel Woodsman and you have answered your own question.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Location, location, location!  Put the arrow where it needs to be and I don't think you'll see any difference. Give me a particular bad shot scenario and I may prefer one over the other, but we never get the luxury of do-overs. Last week I killed a mature doe with a popular low-profile, 3 blade head.  I wasn't at all happy after the shot. Complete pass-through, but too high (about 2/3rds of the way up the back) and too far back (just behind the last rib).  The deer lay dead 75 yds. away when I immediately got down and still hunted straight to her. I've killed enough deer from this stand I knew where she would go, but I was surprised to recover this one.  There's a "no-man's land" above the vitals and below the spine that deer usually recover from and I thought I was there.  I back-trailed and found no blood other than where the deer lay.  I never thought the lungs extended that far back, but I guess the 3-D's and diagrams are right.  The largest buck I ever shot was with a two-blade and a shot I never intended to take, it was about 25 yds. and just outside my comfort zone.  I was just going to draw and "count coup", but when I hit anchor the string just slipped through my fingers and hit right where I was looking.  The deer was slightly quartering away and the arrow entered through the last rib just beside the spine and stopped in the off-side lung with no exit hole!  I could see half the arrow sticking out of its back as it ran off and I was sick.  That deer went over 300 yds, but from where it was standing, there was never a moment where I couldn't see blood trail.  It looked like someone went down through the woods with a garden sprayer.  Every time the deer exhaled it was coating the standing vegetation and leaves with a bright pink mist. How it went that far I have no idea.  I probably didn't deserve to recover either of them, but I don't "look a gift deer in the mouth".  My point is, I don't think if you swapped those two heads it would have made an iota's difference in either case!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
I've taken several deer with both and found the narrow 2 blade like schultz hunters head goes thru so fast the deer doesn't even know they're shot and drop quickly with very sparse bloodtrail. The wide 2 blades like the Zwicky delta, ribtek 145's and the old deadheads leave pretty good trails but the best trails come from snuffers and woodsman's. Shot a lot of animals with the old bear razorhead and always had a pretty good trail also. The key with any is "sharp"

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Properly sharpened, and with a good hit, most broadheads are going to get the job done.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by BobW:
A poor blood trail can happen with either, and with a good shot too.  Exactly as you said: "dont want to change my setup into the season" - your confidence with what you have is most important.

Believe in what you have, relax, and go hunt.

Nobody wants to loose an animal, but even in the best circumstances, it might happen.
I have to agree with above... had great results with both... what does change things is when that "Bad Shot" occurs and or hit bone..... I go with Ashby reports.... 3 blades do curl faster than most 2blades... thats why Im switching over to Grizzlys....

But as for the 2 vs 3... Ive had great bloodtrail with both on good heart/lung shots...
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Only difference I see is a 2 blade that exits will leave more blood than a 3 that doesnt.  Otherwise a 3 blade would cut more and bleed more if it exits as long as they are the same level of sharp.  I like how the 2 blade stinger performs over the 3 blade snuffer but I am horrible at sharpening.  Get to try my new KME tonight on some used stinger 2 blades and my new magnus vented 2 blades. Hope it is easy as it looks!
JT

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©