3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quick question about stringing.  (Read 336 times)

Offline Siloutemirage

• Trad Bowhunter
Quick question about stringing.
« on: October 14, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
I know you shouldn't leave a bow fully strung for a long time but is it ok to leave it partially strung? I have one side strung and the other side strung but down low on the limb so it's easier to use the stringer and get it set up. But is this bad too? Let me know!
For the Fun of it!

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quick question about stringing.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
No it should not hurt the bow. I have a friend who has one longbow that has been strung for 20 yrs. I don't do it but he has had no problems.
USMC 82-86

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
I leave my glass laminated bows strung as long as I am shooting them regularly-a few have been strung for years, and will stay that way.
If I understand your question you are just leaving the string in place? No harm in that either.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the question.  I don't see how one limb could be strung and the other partially strung.  The bow is either braced or it isn't.  There really isn't any in between.  As S.C. Hunter said it is ok to leave the bow fully strung - assuming we are talking about a laminated bow.  Just don't leave it strung in a hot car or resting on one of the tips in a corner.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
No, you're fine. It's normal to leave the string on, unstrung between shooting. That way you only have to slip the stringer on and string her up. I store all mine in a bowsock, and if the top loop is larger that the limb I use a String Keeper. It goes on the top limb tip and clips to the string loop to keep it tight. A tip protector on the bottom limb tip helps hold it too. Once a string is broken in and you have your brace height set, it's a good way to avoid fussing with it while stringing to get all your adjustments back. Keeping your bow in a bowsock not only keeps it from getting dinged-up, it protects the string from the damaging effects of sunlight.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I am assuming your talking about leaving the string on the bow, when not in use, that's okay. Most either store a bow by hanging on a peg from the string, on some type of bow rack. You would not want to leave it standing on the lower limb against a wall, leave it in the sun, hot car, or in a room with high humidity.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Siloutemirage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Yeah in talking about leaving the string still attached to the bow but not strung like it would be for use. So kne side is in the groove at the tip and the other is slipped down the upper limb.  I leave it horizontal for now. I'd like to make a stand for it at some point though.
For the Fun of it!

Offline wbyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Siloutemirage:
Yeah in talking about leaving the string still attached to the bow but not strung like it would be for use. So kne side is in the groove at the tip and the other is slipped down the upper limb.  I leave it horizontal for now. I'd like to make a stand for it at some point though.
This is how I leave mine when not shooting regularly or for transportation purposes.
~ SUA SPONTE ~

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Making a stand is not a good idea if that means the weight of the bow rests on the lower limb that can cause a bent tip over time.

Offline Siloutemirage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
Well when I meant making a stand I meant a wall mount. I know that leaving them on end is bad.
For the Fun of it!

Offline Wishbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I hang mine from a wooden peg on the wall, or if stored horizontally, with a string keeper attached to the upper limb. The brace height stays pretty constant this way.

Offline royking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
im old school and always unstring when not shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©