3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions of SNUFFER TAMER??  (Read 437 times)

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Opinions of SNUFFER TAMER??
« on: October 14, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I am some what "FILE CHALLENGED", with respect to both sharpening my 2 and 3 bladed heads.

I have heard really good things about the KME system and plan on buying this system for my 2 blades.  But, I was looking for opinions from those of you that have tried the Snuffer Tamer?  Also, does it work on Wensels and other 3 blades or is it recommended just from Snuffers?

Thanks ever so much!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions of SNUFFER TAMER??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I have used the tamer with the leather strop and it does a good job. As with any of the truangle files you use progressively lighter pressure as you work the blade. At first I use heavy pressure to get the angle change and then use lighter and lighter until I have a working sharpness. Then tanto the point and strop on the leather. Works well when you get rid of the needle point. Should be fine for the Wensels although I haven't used those bh's.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
WOW!!! They get sharp.  Draw back is they take off a lot of material and the point gets needle sharp.  That may not be a draw back.  You can take a file and trocar (SP) the point.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline goosespirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
I used to love the snuffer tamer.  Gets em scary sharp, but since using it I have had the tip bend hitting game, alot.  I woudl not recomemnd it as it really weakens teh tip.  There are better ways to go.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
I have used it and like it, changes the angle for those snuffers, the tutorial on the 3 rivers web page to sharpen a 3 blade is great and that is all it takes for those snuffers to do the job,
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »
barry...i highly reccommend the snuffer tamer.yes it weakens the tip a little but you can simply harden them a little.i never have problems with them even not hardened.great system buddy.i also use a diamond stone on them before stropping.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
i am HORRIABLE at sharping bh's but have used the Tammer with great results! keep in mind it takes a lot of work to get them where you want them even with the Tammer.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
The tamer changes the factory angle of the edge, so it takes a lot of work in the beginning, until you reestablish the edge. It will give you a narrower angle than the original, which generally is easier to get sharp, but may not be as durable. It is important to rework the tips to get away from the needle point.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Like Papa Bear said I use the diamond as middle step and they become really scary sharp,best system I have found for 3 blades.For the WW I use another system:file and diamonds and I don't get the same results.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gerardo:
I have used it and like it, changes the angle for those snuffers, the tutorial on the 3 rivers web page to sharpen a 3 blade is great and that is all it takes for those snuffers to do the job,
Can I borrow them?

I spent all last Friday night trying to get them sharp with a regular file and a 2 side/grain stone, and they are sharp but not shaving sharp
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Just tanto the tip and they will never fail you.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Good point Longbowman.  Apparently the main negative to using the ST lies in the fact that it weakens the tip.  Seems like simply putting a Tanto Tip on the head afterwards would suffice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©