3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Grizzly bow speed  (Read 2971 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Grizzly bow speed
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
I just checked the speed of my Bear Grizzly the other day for kicks, and I was bored.
I was surprized at how slow it was? I don't expect any kind of speed out of it, that's not the point because I know that trad bows are slow and they are what they are.
I was surprized because I've read the posts from other guys talking about their bow speeds and mine seems like it's way under what everyone else has mentioned?

Maybe you all can tell me if this sounds about right to you?

Bear Grizzly 48 pounds @28"
29 1/2" (woodie) Arrow total wt. with 125gr. pt. = 503gr.

And I'm not quite pulling the full 28" so I know that probably has something to do with it.

Speed on 3 consecutive readings was 139fps, 138fps, and 140fps. So I did get consistent readings and I'm pretty sure my chrono pal is reading correctly.

Thanks,
SEMO
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Grizzly bow speed
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
B 50 string? If yes, that is likely not all that far off. If you draw 27 you are shooting over 11 gpp. Sometimes folks set their braces lower, use light arrows, skinny strings, no silencers etc. to get better readings. Now that would be on other sites of course.
Your bow is plenty fast to kill deer with the usual sharp BH properly placed and blah blah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Sounds perfect to me, now go hunting with it!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
My super Grizz is 55#'s I shoot approx 485grns and I draw right at 28"s. My bow chronod"? out at 185fps give or take a foot or two. Your probably right in there. if you are looking for a little more speed you can afford to lighten up your arrow a bit, you can drop down too 8 to 8.5 grains per pound. I wouldnt go much lower than that. My setup is right at 8.8lbs per inch.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
My brace height is right at 6 1/8" if measured from the back of the shelf to the furthest point on the back of the string. I'm using a flemish twist 14 strand and 2 beaver silencers, so that probably has a little something to do with it also.
I just wanted to make sure that something wasn't bad wrong with it. I know it's plenty fast to kill a whitetail, and it seems to thump my target pretty hard, I just need to put an arrow through a deer and see what she can really do I guess?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Your gonna be fine........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Flemish string...  :thumbsup:

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
......because I know that trad bows are slow and they are what they are.........

Thanks,
SEMO
Actually, trad bows aren't slow at all. When compared to our friends' wheelie bows, you should compare apples to apples. A lot of wheelie bow shooters use arrows weighing in at 5 to 7 grains per pound of draw weight and draw lengths in the 29"to 32" range. Try that combination with your trad bow, if you dare! I guarantee you that you will be amazed at your primitive bow's speed then.

Hey, just because we choose to shoot trad doesn't mean we're ancient when it comes to performance. It's just that most of us choose to shoot heavier than average arrows because we know what performs best on game, even if that means less fps but better penetration. That alone makes us the better hunters because we know our limitations and we strive to get closer to our quarry than they do because of the trajectory of our arrow forces us to and, of course, the fact that we don't use sights.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
True on all of the above shoot4thrills.
I will admit that I haven't exactly thrown away the training wheels yet, and I've got one hanging in my garage that meets the description you just mentioned. I shoot 5.5gr. pr. pound HV's with it and it's ripping them out at 303fps. I don't expect, need, or want that from my Grizzly, it's an entirely different animal that I consider to be finess rather than a full draw short range rifle in comparison.
I'm still waiting on my first trad kill and I may not ever give up my wheelie, but I'm sure enjoying this season hunting exclusively with my Grizzly and I can honestly say that I haven't been this excited about archery season for quite some time. Maybe it's just the anticipation of taking an animal with something I never have before, or the basic simplicity of using pure skill as apposed to high tech? I don't really know what it is, but when I get my first kill down it will be like my first deer all over again. It's like waiting on Christmas when your 5yrs. old.

BTW- Your set up with your Predator is roughly the same as my Grizzly as far as arrow wt. pr pound of draw, and yours is even a bit heavier. It seems like your getting some good velocity from your set up for shooting heavy weights, that must be one heck of a hard shooting outfit you got there? You should post a pic of it here if you don't mind. I'd sure like to see it.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
Okay. But remember, you asked for it!

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
your brace height on that Grizzly should be measured from the throat or deepest part of the grip to the string.Brace should be 7 1/2 " - 8" bd

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Gorgeous bow, really nice wood pile, great shooting and congrats on being sure enough of your manhood to shoot pink feathers.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Oops, I forgot to mention nice little buck!

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
I've never checked the speed of my 2 grizzlys  but you are really close to they would comparatively.

My Zona @ 49# shooting a 448gr. arrow is about 175FPS & my Sky Hawk @ 47# is about the same speed, put a 505gr. arrow through em & their lucky to get 169FPS.

You have plenty there for Deer & even Black Bear, be sure that your Broadheads are sharp & put it where it counts.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Thanks Guys, and thank you Doug for posting pics of your nice looking outfit. Very fine shooting also, and as far as pink feathers go......you shouldn't have any problem finding them in the leaves when you miss or put one through an animal.  :thumbsup:  

Nice pic of the buck, I'd love to get a crack at one just like him right now. I haven't had but one shot oppurtunity so far besides squirrels, and that was a coyote I missed at 18 steps. It was my fault, I shot him for about 25 yards and the bow put it right where I held, so I can't complain about the bow at all.....it was all me.

Of course I was wound pretty tight by the time I turned the arrow loose, but I'm sure that didn't have anything to do with mis-judging the yardage.  :rolleyes:

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
That's crazy. I had my cherry board bow chronoed and at 45# @28", and same arrow weight (almost exactly, my arrows were 505)she shot the same exact speeds!

My personal opinion, with even a decently placed shot that's enough kinetic energy to down game even slightly bigger than whitetail, so don't let it bum you out. It's the energy created by the arrow that downs em, not just the speed.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
That's good to know fish, now I don't think there's anything wrong with my set up. I was worried at first and fearing the worst, but my Grizzly shoots great. The arrows really thump my 3D buck target too, so I'm confident that it's got plenty of KE behind it to do the job just fine.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I shot a Grizzly right next to a 58" Howatt Hi-Speed.  Measured the draw weight of each bow and matched a 10 gpp arrow for each bow.  Drew both to 28" and averaged 155 FPS from the Grizzly and 170 FPS from the Hi-Speed.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
You tell them Apex  :archer2:

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the test results Apex, so it sounds like my Grizzly is right on par for my draw wt. versus arrow wt. that's comforting to know.
That's why I love this site, lot's of knowledgeable individuals here. With such a diverse knowledge base of people, somebody has an answer for everything. I'm lucky to have found this place.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©