3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Grizzly bow speed  (Read 2973 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Grizzly bow speed
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
your brace height on that Grizzly should be measured from the throat or deepest part of the grip to the string.Brace should be 7 1/2 " - 8" bd
Hey Doc, I checked my brace height again where you said to measure from the deepest part of the grip, and from there to the inside of the edge of the string closest to the bow is 7 1/8" exactly.
So I think I'm right on the money?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I've never chronoed any of the bows I've owned-longbow, recurve, selfbow.  I keep my distances short, my arrows heavy, and my broadheads sharp.  Never had a problem killing deer.  I could care less about the speed as long as I'm getting the job done.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
I've never chronoed any of the bows I've owned-longbow, recurve, selfbow.  I keep my distances short, my arrows heavy, and my broadheads sharp.  Never had a problem killing deer.  I could care less about the speed as long as I'm getting the job done.
I definitely agree, but haven't you ever just been curious to see what the speed was?
If I didn't own a chrono pal, I wouldn't be interested enough to take it to a bow shop just to see, but since I've got a chrono sitting right here in the garage....I figured what the heck?

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Actually, no I haven't "ever been just curious".  Your original question was, "Maybe you all can tell me if this sounds about right to you?"  I merely answered your question.  I have never chronoed a bow (I gave my reasons), so I can't tell you how you bow compares to my Grizzlies.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
Pardon me, didn't intend to strike a nerve or anything. I was just making conversation.
It is my post, if you didn't come here to join in the conversation, then why did you even bother to post? I don't think I deserved that snotty response you just gave.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Marty you should be very careful when comparing the speed of a Howatt to anything . Including most of the modern customs. Other bows just do not stack up for the most part. God bless you, Steve

Offline royking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
I will just bet you can still shoot over the back of a deer with it.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by royking:
I will just bet you can still shoot over the back of a deer with it.
I can't verify that statement on a deer yet, but I can sure back it up on a missed coyote at 18 steps about a week ago!   :banghead:  

Zipped right over the front shoulder so fast he didn't react until the arrow had almost hit the dirt on the opposite side. The bow hit right where I held, so it was all my fault.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »
So when are we going to see a picture of her?. Sounds like a good shooter.Im not sure how many coyotes I have missed.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
I'll see if I can take some decent ones and post them here, but I'm usually not a very good photographer and my pics just turn out so so.
The bow is a shooter, and it shoots better than I can, if you know what I mean.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
I have seen many archers both traditional and wheelie suddenly become disenchanted with there favorite bow just because of a chrono reading. most of these bows were accurate, quiet, hard hitting and had accounted for a lot of meat in the freezer. Then a machine told them it wasnt fast enough and they became convinced there old favorite was no good. Its not about speed, thats the easy part. The hard part is getting close and sticking the arrow where it counts.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
I've seen the same thing Uncle Buck. Best shooting bow they owned until they shot it thru a chrono. Then want to kick it to the curb and pick up a bow they don't shoot nearly as well, and all because it's faster. Never made sense to me.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
The numbers that one attaches to a bow are not important as long as it gets the job done. Except when someone who knows everything tries to tell us that my wife's NAT [email protected]" does not enough power,  just to find out that it is faster with the same arrow than his recurve that is 12 pounds heavier that is drawn to nearly 28".  Just because a bow feels smooth does not mean that it shoots slow or visa vera, but I think there is an old Bear Super Mag getting retired because of this.  Knowing those numbers is often times best left alone.  I remember how shocked I was when I shot my metal takedown Bear through a chrono, it hurt.  I loved that bow.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
The numbers that one attaches to a bow are not important as long as it gets the job done. Except when someone who knows everything tries to tell us that my wife's NAT [email protected]" does not enough power,  just to find out that it is faster with the same arrow than his recurve that is 12 pounds heavier that is drawn to nearly 28".  Just because a bow feels smooth does not mean that it shoots slow or visa vera, but I think there is an old Bear Super Mag getting retired because of this.  Knowing those numbers is often times best left alone.  I remember how shocked I was when I shot my metal takedown Bear through a chrono, it hurt.  I loved that bow.
Who's retiring the old Bear Super Mag? I'll take it! I love these Bear bows, and the 140fps that I'm getting doesn't hurt my feelings one bit, cause it shoots great. I was only concerned that there might be something wrong with it structurally and it was handed down to me from my favorite uncle. That man is like a second father to me and if there was something wrong with the Grizzly I'd put it up and stop shooting it.

I watched a show or a video somewhere that was talking about the self bows that the Indians made for hunting Buffalo, deer, and all critters. Their bows were estimated at 25lbs. max, and they killed everything with them. Of course they were excellent trackers, and when they hunted buffalo it was mostly off horse back and shooting point blank range, but still their bows weren't heavy at all. Plus they were using the straightest stick they could find, rock points, and tied on feathers.
Imagine what a Bear Grizzly would have done in the hands of an Indian who was a great shot? Things may be a whole lot different these days?   :rolleyes:

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Here's the pics of my Grizzly as requested and a 20 yard group I shot this morning while practicing out in the back yard. I know it's not perfect shooting, but it's pretty much my average group at 20 yards and it's honest.
Some days it's better and other days I just want to hang it up, but I keep plugging away at it and hopefully when I get my big chance at a deer....it will be one of my good days when I'm on top of my game.

I'm also NOT a photographer by any means, but I also try my best at that too.
   :goldtooth:  

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Plenty good!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
I hope you don't have to shoot any better than that to get a deer.  If so, I too am in trouble and will need to pick up my old .30-06 again.  

RonP

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
I use a chrono on all my bows for 2 reasons. 1. because I own one from my speed obsessed wheelie days and 2. so I can get all my set-ups shooting around the same speed so I don't have to make any adjustments to my shooting for trajectory.

I had a bow once that I swore was slower than other my other bows until I chroned it and found it was actually faster at a lighter draw weight!
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by chopx2:
I use a chrono on all my bows for 2 reasons. 1. because I own one from my speed obsessed wheelie days and 2. so I can get all my set-ups shooting around the same speed so I don't have to make any adjustments to my shooting for trajectory.

I had a bow once that I swore was slower than other my other bows until I chroned it and found it was actually faster at a lighter draw weight!
I'm glad that somebody else finally agrees that a chronograph is basically just a tool, and when used the way you stated for comparison it doesn't sound so evil anymore. I have always just considered it a tool and not an ego booster, or a let down.
Good post, and great analogy. That is good info to have if you shoot multiple bows,  and it's also a good indicator that you have your arrow weights correct for the bow you are shooting.

Also Thanks to  Feliciano  and  Ron , I'm glad you all believe in my abilities. I feel fairly confident that if I get a shot in the 20-25 yard range I can close the deal......that is if I can control my nerves.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
If the super mag comes up for sale, I got first dibs on it.  My Bear Grizzly is an older model, it has a more angled back right at the arrow shelf, gray glass, and more taper in the core than the newer ones.  It is 42 pounds and with 440 grain arrows we are getting higher numbers.  I have noticed that from one person shooting to another, even with nearly identical draws, there can be a wide spread in arrow speeds with same arrows and bows.  The crono we are using comes real close to getting the same numbers with my wifes bow that Chad Francis got with his, 2 fps faster, so I am assuming they either both off about the same or on about the same.  We used it to find out what her bow does with her arrows and draw length. At her draw 26.5", her new bow was faster than her Darton and the Grizzly.  however, when shooting them, the Darton seems faster, it has killed a number of deer so we should be in good shape with the new one as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©