3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Well, this is less than thrilling...  (Read 401 times)

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well, this is less than thrilling...
« on: October 15, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that I need to not shoot a bow for a few weeks.  From the combination of sleeping in the wrong position, ignoring pain, and shooting my bow too much, I have damaged my shoulder.  I have some serious irritation in the rotator cuff muscles in my left shoulder.

This seriously sucks.  I've got a new Black Creek Banshee coming in a week or so, and all I'll be able to do is fondle it.

I've begun a regimen of icing, stretching, and advil, and I can already tell a difference, but I really need to not pull my bow for at least 3 weeks.  I confess that this is going to be a tough 3 weeks.  I'm considering having my wife hide all of my bowstrings to eliminate the temptation.

I'm still going to hunt, but I'm going to break out the firearms.  I was planning on being bow only this year, but I'd rather not miss out on a good portion of the season. I've considered using my Ruger Bisley .45 LC.  It's definitely more challenging than using a rifle.

Anyone else go through this?  What did you do?

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Well, this is less than thrilling...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
I was dumb. Kept shooting, hunting, & lifting weights then had my shoulder surgery after the season back in 08. No problems with the reconstruction, but avoid it if you can. Good luck.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 02:26:00 AM »
Yea, I don't want to have surgery.  I really don't have a choice but to take the time to heal right.  I now can only pull my bow a few times before my arm starts collapsing.  To be honest, I probably could still hunt, if I don't practice any, but I think I've ignored this for too long.  My shoulder has been popping and loose feeling for years and I just ignored it.  I'm scared that if I don't stabilize it now correctly, I'll do some really serious damage.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
I have dealt with shoulder injuries from motocross for years.

Shoulder injuries can be very complicated. Even minor inflammation can cause alot of pain.

I make sure I do not sleep with my arm(s) over my head. Drink lots of water. Drink absolutely NO soda pop. Sugar is your enemy. No alchohol. Learn and know the movements that cause you pain, and avoid them BEFORE you make them.

I went to several doctors through the years. All but one recommended surgery. Never had surgery, and won`t unless it is the only option left.

When my shoulder(s)(I`ve injured both) DO hurt, I take an Ibuprofen product, go easy on my shoulders, and sleep with a pillow under my arm to help support them. My arms are big, and the weight of them as I lay flat on a bed seem to pull down on my shoulders and irritate them even more.

Believe it or not, I truely feel that shooting my trad bows has helped my shoulders alot over the years. Sometimes my shoulders feel "stiff", and shooting helps relieve it.

For the most part, I live pain free. When I do something that I have learned I cannot do, I pay for it for a few days.

Good luck bro`.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
I feel your pain.  I flint knapped so much trying to learn how tnat I had to have both shoulders injected.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
I am sorry to learn of anyone with shoulder problems.  I had one moment of idiocy lifting weights when I was a young man and to this day I pay for it.  That one incident likely cost me 10#'s of draw weight today.

Really can't say anything more than bonebuster already has on the topic.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
right there with you guys. Im a mechanic and I have a bad right shoulder and knee from a motorcycle wreck 10 years ago. Seems the pain never really goes away because of my job. X2 on the sleeping with a pillow under your arm and NEVER sleep with your arm above your head. Whenever I do this I have a week or so of pain after and cant shoot at all.
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
A good chiropractor can be a huge help to help cure those aching shoulders and swollen rotator cuffs. Rest, ice, compress, chiro. worked for me.

Offline Nate N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I am a baseball player and have an extremely bad right shoulder.  I do not want to get surgery and opted for cortizone.  I got one shot last year and it has worked wonders.  Might want to check into it for a quick fix but in long run you can actually make it worse.  As for now i am still gonna play ball.  Good luck, Nate
Robertson Purist 62" 75#@28
OMP Adirondack Hunter Deluxe 68" 50 @ 28

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Doctor says I need operation on my shoulder. I have dropped to 40 lbs and can shoot as much as I want.
You might consider dropping down in weight.
John

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
try acupuncture,works wonders on healing time.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I think I'm on the right track here. I just need to have the fortitude to stick with it and not be the normal impatient guy I've been for the last 40 years.

It does feel better already, so I know I'm on the right track.

I'll drop in bow weight if this doesn't work. I'd rather not if I don't have to.  I don't have the budget for a whole new setup, anyway.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
I have had several shoulder surgerys and I say ya may not have to quit altogether for a few weeks. Stretch and loosen up and shoot a real light weight bow and only  a shoot a few arrows and quit. My orthopedic surgeon actually said this would be good therapy for me. I has a torn labrum and a slight rotator tear and had surgery and within 3 weeks was shooting a 39# longbow. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Hope it mends quickly. I was looking to hearing some more success stories from that Half Breed.   :(
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline cjw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Acupuncture definitely!

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
Serveral years ago I went through somthing simular, Ive forgotten now what it was, but couldnt shoot my bow during season. I hunted that year with a Glock .45, and took a small 4 point at about 10'. I guess that was the last time I hunted with a gun,  and it did make for a little more challenge. I would prob go to pistol hunting (iron sights) if I couldnt shoot a bow.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Get yourself a good Physical Therapist. HIGH PROTEIN DIET!!!!   :readit:    :knothead:  I'll give you a couple of weeks you'll be back!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Try to find a product called "Traumeel".  It is a natural anti-inflammatory and analgesic cream that you apply to the skin.  I've recommended it to many, many patients for athletic injuries, bumps, bruises, etc.  It is a great product, and can be a big help in speeding soft tissue healing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©