3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shaving vs Hair popping...  (Read 297 times)

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shaving vs Hair popping...
« on: October 15, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
I recently moved to a 3 blade broadhead. Snuffer 145 ; 160 and the WW Standard Glue-ons.

My old 2 blade magnus broadheads were never shaving sharp, but they were almost there. Have had full pass-throughs on the three deer I have taken thus far with the 2-blades.

But now moving to a three blade I have been searching this sight, and researching everything I can on how to get a snuffer or WW shaving sharp. I can get both broadheads to the point where with medium to light pressure on my arm, and a swiping motion, I can have all the hair cut of my arm... So I call that shaving sharp...

I cannot however get them hair popping sharp. Here is my process everything is done with the broadhead mounted on a small piece of arrow, held free hand, and the sharpening tool on the other hand:

Bastard File: Medium to Hard strokes - 10 per side - 9 per side - all the way down to 1

Bastard File: Medium to light strokes - 10 per ; 9 per ; down to 1 per.

Jewelstyk 1,000 grit: Light strokes - 10 per ; 9 per ; down to 1.

Cardboard: light strokes - 10 per ; 9 per ; down to 1.

At this point, the head is shining, and will shave hair... but it seems I can't get them to the next level.

Am I being too anal? Are these broadheads for as big as the snuffers are okay at the level I am at? Or should I keep striving for the next plataeu?

Thanks guys.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shaving vs Hair popping...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I could never really even get my woodsmans shaving sharp, but several ppl on here have told my that shaving sharp for them is relatively unecessary for whitetail hunting. I now just use a file and leave them at that.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I have been shooting WW heads the last several years and have always been able to get mine shaving sharp, just like yours.  
I used to be the same as you about being anal, with the sharpening.
I do the same with the file and jewel stick and let um fly.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
To be honest I think you'll be just fine with the broadheads the way you have them.  I sharpen all of my Phoenix broadheads with a file, then strop them on leather.  They come out wicked sharp for hunting.  I made a little video for another Tradgang member to show how I sharpen them and how sharp they can get.  I do have the advantage of working off a sharper angle though  ;)  

Here's a link to the video.

At the speed at which your arrow will be traveling through your quarry, if they will shave hair off of your arms, they will be deadly.  I say you should just go hunt with them.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
The only thing I have that is Hair popping sharp is My straight Razor. My 160 snuffers are shaving sharp.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
I use razorcaps and WW.  Finally got them shaving this year.  Permanent marker is the key-along with a magnifying glass.  Color with marker, run them on the file for a few strokes, then examine with the glass.  You will see where the high/low spots from any marker residue left.  I had to really pressure the razorcaps on the mill file to make the grind uniform- before I began to see results.  My final step was using a lansky fine diamond stone to polish.  Keep at it- the "holy grail" isn't far off for ya!
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
I read about the "shaving hair" thing too much, just means you have over filed the angle and created a weak edge.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
I think you are fine. I use a DMT Diamond Bench stone and that works really well too.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
If you are cutting hair off your arm you are fine.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I think some guys exagerate the "hair poppin" thing a bit....especially on 3 blade heads. I run mine across some rubber bands. If it cuts them, I'm good to go.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
I get my Razorcaps hair popping sharp. When new I start off with a DMT very coarse stone (Black) and I pull them from back to front one stroke, flip to two more blades, do it again for the next two. I do this for a count of 30 or 10 strokes per two blades. (I think it is important to alternate two blaldes, then flip to two more, etc.) I will repeat this 30 stroke process until all blades are uniformly rough sharp....sort of burr like. That way I know that I have all the edges at a uniform cross section. Then I move onto the DMT coarse stone (Blue) and repeat the process. I will repeat the process until all blades feel uniformly very sharp. Then I proceed to the fine DMT (Red) and continue the same 30 stroke process. As I go to finer and finer grits I use less and less pressure. Finally, I use a round ceramic hone and repeat the process. I lay the round stone on my left leg/knee and the shaft of the arrow rests on my right leg.  I then repeat the 30 stroke process using only whatever weight the shaft puts on the blades. For what it's worth I really like the steel in the Razorcaps. As I said the edge is hair popping and it holds the edge very well. The only thing I need to do after this is to touch them up using the last two steps unless a head is shot into the ground....then it is back to step one with the Black DMT.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©