3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good luck southern zone hunters  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good luck southern zone hunters
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Don't feel bad bud, like I already told you, I haven't even put tension to string yet!!  You are right though, the best is yet to come!!

Did see my first buck running the hell out of a doe yesterday though.  Mark it on your calendars boys!!  :readit:    :archer:  

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Just got out of mediation. Tweaking a fed application, and hoping to get a couple of hours in the woods to decompress.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Got out yesterday morning and saw a something chasing a something behind my treestand but they never came out of the brush. I didnt hear any grunting but it sure enough looked like a buck chasing a small doe. I saw a real nice 120 or so buck feeding with a doe in the middle of town today while I was jogging at 1:00 pm.Man he was something. Now if I could get one like that broadside under my tree.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
My hunt was cut short at 4 with a text saying my son needed me. Rushed out of the woods, called to say I was on my way and got "oh he is fine now". Let the games begin...

All the scrapes and rubs look like they havent been touched. Think the weather has something to do with that. Probably wont go out again until it gets a bit cooler.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Ouch!!!!! Jamie you gotta at least turn those contraptions off when your hunting.  I leave mine in the truck or turned off in my cargo pocket.  Im still fighting texting, Ill probably get beat into it when my sons get phones at like 18 years old if I can help it but until then uh uh! I hope to get out for a quick couple of hours after work tomorrow. Ive already been hunting a lot more than last year.My minute is coming and it better come soon, Im hungering for some fresh backstraps.
            Do you fellas think this years rut is coming early? I remember way back when when I was hunting with my dad we saw an 8 poiter chase a doe across the road on opening day, cant remember the date but it should have been close to 10/15. Thats the earliest rutting activity I can remember but it  seems like we got another early rut.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Izzy,

It seems as if everything is early this year.  Even Striped bassw ere being caught Early this spring.  Carp spawned early, and Oaks were dropping early.  I think the rut is more or less here. At leats you will start seeing rut like activity.

Jamie, there's nothing wrong with being responsible. I know it sucks when people play games but you will never regret being there for your kids.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Going out in the afternoon on Wed.,going to sit till late and see what's happening. Hope the cold front starts and gets the critters moving. Been out over 45 hours so far......hope'n for a good afternoon!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Good luck Ron. I wish everyone well. Looking forward to making it up north again soon.

Ive been having some SUPER experiences since the southern season opened. Ive been IN the deer every day Ive gone out. Been putting in about two hours before work and and again when I get home each day during the week and even more on the weekends. Unfortunately Im working the next two weekends, and tomorrow Im booked for a 18 hour shift.

Anyways, Ive been hunting totally from the ground right outside my doorstep (50 acres), and have been either busted or been just outta range each time Ive gone out. Every experience has been under 40 yards so far. Im feeling really good about this season, and how my still hunting/stalking has developed. Yesterday I was 4 yards from a nice doe coming right at me while I was resting on a log. I didn't feel comfortable with a frontal shot, so I just waited to see how close she was going to get before noticing me. WHAT A RUSH!!! I thought she could hear my heart beat. I just gotta wait for the right shot.

I was about to buy a new treestand, but I'm having too much fun still hunting. Im just worried that the season is going to pass me buy before I get a shot off.

Ken M, I'll have a package in the mail for you shortly.

Casey
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Hakuna Mattada. Good luck out there guys.
                         -Jamie

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Went out yesterday & saw nothing. This evening I wish I had the same luck. Had a buck walk in 10 yards turned broadside and took the shot. Hit him high and last time I saw him he was going into a big swamp with my arrow protruding from both sides of his chest. So unhappy with myself for hitting him high. No blood or arrow was found by me or my brother. Going in the morning with a friend to look some more. I am hoping I got enough of the tops of his lungs to put him down or not enough to hurt him bad enough. He had been chasing a doe earlier when I first saw him. No sleep for me.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »
Good luck Dan. I haven't laid eyes on a deer since Sat.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
Good luck on that trail Dan. Jamie, hope you get some peaceful time out there.Ron, I hope you call me for a drag soon.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Daniel,

Please let us know how you make out.  Good Luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I spent 4 hours in the stand this morning and seen 7 deer in my back field. Four of them where bucks. One had a nice rack on him. All to far to shoot at. This is the most activity I've seen yet. I think the bucks are on the move now. I'm going to have some lunch and head back out. Good luck guys.
The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Good luck out there. Well, I have lost my first trad buck. Poured there last night so much the dog could not even find a starting point. We grid searched the swamp for a few hours with no luck. Never even found a piece of the arrow or blood. I can testify how cold the water in upstate NY is. Es & I were both up to our armpits at times. Hurts but I understand it is part of it. Just hoped it would bot happen to me. Thanks guys.

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Have a couple days off going to spend it in my treestand.Hope I can keep it together nexttime though.Goodluck to all tradgangers...................
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Sat in a tree stand for 4 hours this afternoon,just saw a squirrel or two and some birds,chickadees and blue jays. Really warm, I guess the cold front is taking longer than the weather man thought.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Sat all afternoon only saw turkeys. I'm not sure where the deer went. I'm back out in the morning.
The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
I was in my ground blind this afternoon I had a decent buck in range but he was nervous and in some cover so I passed the shot.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Heading out Friday morning for 9 days in the woods.  Can't wait to get out and away.

I'll be camping and hunting on state land, Burnt Hills State Forest in Schoharie County, 10K acres.

If anyone has some time available and wants to hunt, your welcome to stop by.  There's room for more.

Here's where I'll have my camp set up.  You can Google: Line Road, Summit NY 12175 and get directions to the intersection in Emenince.  I'll be set up where CAMP is written in red.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©