3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scored last night! Story and Pictures  (Read 543 times)

Online JackP

• Trad Bowhunter
Scored last night! Story and Pictures
« on: October 16, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Yesterday started like every other day for me, woke up got dressed up in camo and headed into the woods 45 minutes before dark.  I get all settled into my stand which is on a tree line that runs down the neighbors alfalfa field.  The stand is facing down the tree line facing west.  I have my own field to the left of me with some clover in it and behind me I have another tree line that runs north but is about 35 yards wide.  

I started thinking it is October 15th ... I could tickle the rattle bag together and see what comes up.  Once it became light enough to see dark blobs, I have a deer run towards me in the tree line then head into the alfalfa field.  I watch the blob for about 20 minutes and finally he went into this island of woods in the middle of the aflafa field.  

At 8:00 a.m. I decided to hit the rattle bag seeing how I had not had any kind of action since the blob deer ... very lightly thought.  After about 30 minutes I some what stopped paying attention "all" around me because I didn't think that a buck would come after that.  Long story short, I looked down and noticed a huge 4 point at ten yards facing towards me.  I never heard him due to the rain the previous night.  He ended up some how getting passed me with no shot opportunities.  I was excited thought because he was looking around for the "spar" he heard.

I was some what upset because this year mother nature has not been to kind to me with the wind and rain, plus I haven't had a deer within range besides a button buck and a few does.  

That night I get into my stand around 4:30 .. perfect wind coming from NNW.  I was pumped.  At 5 a neighbor decides to take some trees down with chainsaw about 400 yards away (he didn't stop until 7).  Needless to say I thought my hunt was over.  Around 6 I watch two nice bucks run into the island in the alfalfa field.  Got my heart pumpin even though they were around 200 yards out.

Later they decide to come out again on the opposite side of the alfalfa field and run into my property around 250 yards away.  Then one of the bucks starts chasing a doe towards me, but both took a trail about 35 yards away and gave me now shot ( the yellow trail on the first photo).  Then I see a deer feeding towards me.  Once he gets to about 40 yards I noticed that he is going to take a trail to go past me so I decided to hit the grunt call and boy am I glad I did, He made a B-line straight towards me (the red line, the arrow is where he was when I grunted at him)

He came down a trail that is about 7 yards to my right.  I got ready because my only shot opportunity was threw a little opening.  Well once I see him about to hit the opening I give him a grunt with my mouth to make him stop .. I anticipated it perfect, his vitals where right in the opening (Deer is the red and the blue is the opening .. please excuse the drawing haha)

I drew back, hit my anchor and let her fly.  I didn't see the arrow hit him but I heard two crashed about 5 seconds after and then it was silent.  I was shaking so bad I had to sit down.  

I got down and picked up my arrow and it was completely red!  I was instantly pumped!  I knew I hit something good. I went home to get my stuff together to track and gave him two hours just to be safe.  My buddy, his girlfriend, my girlfriend and I then went out to track and this is what I find.  (I had to take these pictures today because that night we didn't have a camera so these are what I have.)

(These pictures don't do the blood trail justice. It was the best blood trail I have ever fallowed.  We literally walked the whole time without stopping until I find him, no field shots but these should do)

My biggest buck with a bow yet.  4 point.  Double lung shot.  62" Robertson Vision Falcon 59@28 2117 autumn orange arrow tipped with a 170 grain snuffer, which puts a mean whole in both his lungs.

Goofy rack but I am pumped!

Thanks for lookin.  I hope the pictures are the right size ... It took me forever to resize them.

Off to the butcher...

****Please re-size no wider than 640 pixels*****

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scored last night! Story and Pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Very Nice! Congrats to you!   :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I was a little cautious opening this thread based on the title  :D  

Great shooting and looks like some fine table fare there~!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline charlie phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
GREAT JOB  

TXCP

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Excellent! Good story too, I liked the drawings, Lol! Nice buck, beautiful bow, life is good. Congrats, and thanks for sharing!   :clapper:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
:notworthy:     :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
very cool  :thumbsup:
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Over$Under, I hesitated for a moment too, had to remind myself I was on TG, and hope for the best. Lol!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Well-done!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Your right Danny, At my age I was a bit hesitant also but glad I did. Looks like someone is going to have some good venison. Good story and nice pictures and happy smile  :biglaugh:  

Chort

Offline tree dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Very happy for you Jack!!
                    George

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine deer....thanks for taking us along.

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Good job, thanks for sharing.   :thumbsup:

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Very well done congradulations.  :thumbsup:
Jeff Couture

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Congrats,

Great Story.
David Janssen

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Way to go!!!!  Love the classic pic of deer on top of car!!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Nice job jack,, nice story too,, I think I seen you drivin down the road,,LOL,,
TGMM

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME