3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wolves Shadow Wisconsin Bowhunter  (Read 2472 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wolves Shadow Wisconsin Bowhunter
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
WOLF????? ......WHAT WOLF??????   :dunno:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Might not be a big deal at all. I know several guys who have had coyotes do the same thing. My brother had a pack of coyotes around 20 yards from him for an entire walk back to the truck one time. He shot like 7 arrows without touching one before he just decided to walk to the truck.

Not that coyotes and wolves are the same...but animals are just funny sometimes. Kinda spooky but not necessarily threatening.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline Pete Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
In Northern MN, there are loads of them.

I was rifle hunting a couple seasons ago and witnessed a pack running a doe. To be honest, it was one of the most spectacularly wild things I've ever seen. I heard them first (this was broad daylight mind you- midafternoon), then a doe came racing by followed by a formation of wolves.

Of course, I was sitting in a tree stand at the time and holding my 30/.06, so I felt pretty safe. One of the "wing" wolves passed right under my stand.

I thought about taking a shot, and it's a good thing I didn't! Later that evening, a couple DNR guys came into our camp and asked if we'd seen any wolves? As it turned out, they were tracking this pack and had radio tracking equipment in their van.

I'm no expert, and I don't have supporting facts, but judging by the lack of Deer seen so far this season, I would have to say that the wolves must be having an impact. Normally, I would have seen many more does and yearlings by now. They just aren't there.

I'm not in favor of eradicating them altogether, but I don't have an issue with thinning the herd as it were.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zradix:
Not trying to turn this into a legislative post but....

This is an exact example why I think anyone should be able to carry a side arm while bow hunting.

In my state, Michigan, you can't unless you have a concealed weapon permit.

I could carry a handgun in the woods any other time of year..just not bow hunting..go figure.

Glad your Son is ok.
If that's the case, then can't you go get one?
That's what's wrong with legislators these days, absolutely Nobody has the right to tell you that you can't protect yourself....Nobody!
That is a God given, basic human right to protection and I'll be **** if any man is going to tell me I can't.
Sorry for the rant, but that issue always gets under my skin.

If it's possible Zradix, I'd say go get the permit and start carrying concealed, or open either way your protected.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by PAPA BEAR:
you have the right to protect yourself from all percieved threats.excersize your right to bear arms.the so called laws that prohibit you from carrying a sidearm during bow season are in fact not even a law.challenge it in a court of law and you will prevail.happened here in oregon then washington shortly after that.your fish and game officials cannot make a law they only make up rules that are not a law at all.i am not against laws just getting sick of seeing peoples rights get trampled on at every whim by some government employee who thinks they have the last word.
Agreed...100%....Preach On Brotha!!   :clapper:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
j-dog.......thats insane...those wolves are not afraid of cars or anything.this is what happens when animals lose fear of man,they will start stalking people like rabbits.lets face it folks,without our weapons humans are a sitting duck for large carnivores.we need to push back,we have the power to vote people out of office.we have the power to change any law in the land.all it takes is an effort by a group of people.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
Interesting video. I wish the quality were better. Those looked more like wild dogs to me than wolves.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
definately not wild domestic dogs.wolves all the way.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by jhg:
Building the mythology one brick at a time

This reminds me of the fear around killer bees.

Something to be aware of and watch out for certainly.

But the sky is not falling and the world is not flat. Wolves are what they are. But you have a better chance of getting hit by lightening than being attacked by them. Mtn lions, moose. wild dogs, falling through the ice. These will get you before a wolf ever does.
I agree that a season on them is becoming necessary. But I don't plan on wearing a bite proof ballistic vest any time soon.
Things change. Change with it or grind your teeth into powder stressing about what you can't change back. Thats life. Bend with it or break.

I'm not directing this at anyone but at the idea we need to fear wolves or hate them. Understand them and act accordingly, yes, Be smart in the woods, yes. Take management into our own hands? No. Ignore the laws that manage game for all of us to enjoy? No.
This issue will work itself out within the rules we all live within. We are, after all, a nation of laws.

Joshua, aware, but not buying into the fear/hatred.
Oh? Go get a house in central Idaho and live in it. Go afield and try to hunt elk there. Then tell me if you are comfortable with letting your child outside to play.
 Its a serious problem brought upon us by a special interest group that the majority of its members don't even live in the country---let alone go out in it. We are a country run by the minority. I see a wolf in the wild, and its the 3 "S" rule for me.

Edited to add that I'm a native Idahoan displaced to Virginia.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by PAPA BEAR:
j-dog.......thats insane...those wolves are not afraid of cars or anything.this is what happens when animals lose fear of man,they will start stalking people like rabbits.lets face it folks,without our weapons humans are a sitting duck for large carnivores.we need to push back,we have the power to vote people out of office.we have the power to change any law in the land.all it takes is an effort by a group of people.
Humans are awfully easy to catch. Without weapons, we are easier to kill and eat than rabbits.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
It's a non-issue AFA I'm concerned.  I open carry, and will deal with the fine or the warden when it becomes an issue.
Support the sport!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
I spend a lot of my work time dealing with invasive species for the fed. Now they put one into the environment ( Canadian Grey Wolves ) and call it good?  They violated their own rules and laws.

Lots of laws are overturned by courts every year.  Just because a law exists doesn't mean you have to choose to obey it.  You just have to be willing to fight the law in court to prove your right or the law is unconstitutional. You just better be prepared to pay the consequences if you choose to play that game and loose.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Semo have ou been to the Yukon??And I'm with Joshua!

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
I'd be creeped out if several wolves were following me.  Especially if they were the larger Arctic wolf.  They may not normally consider us food, but then again...

Cool to see them, not so cool to have a pack following you.     :scared:  

Hope you have plenty of arrows...  :archer2:    

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I live in the bush, In my town, we have wolves, bears and coyotes, and yes i go outside and my kid play outside. We do pass more than 40 days a year in the bushas a family and we will keep doing so with out killing wolves, or coyotes. I would kill a bear for food but not for funn!
I think that most of you guys don't even have to deal with wolves, never even seen a wild wolve, so your comments on controling them, or knowing about them is at best futil!

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Amen Mr. Yukon!  Besides this thread has nothing to do with traditional bowhunting other then it was a second hand bowhunter story.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Animal Planet is an "agenda driven" channel- you can guess what that agenda usually is.

Their contributors, sponsors in some cases, and the producers of the shows have a bent to their stories usually and I find it offensive enough that I choose not to spend much time there.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline AustinCQC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
This economy is even hitting the wolves hard if they start hunting us.  Human is a weird meat.  

Besides, wolves are pack animals.  Just dominate the Alpha and then you have a pack of wolves to do your hunting.  Now THATS animal control.     :biglaugh:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, and with an Irish whiskey aftertaste.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©