3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wolves Shadow Wisconsin Bowhunter  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wolves Shadow Wisconsin Bowhunter
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Thought we weren’t allowed to talk wolves because it ain’t traditional, just ask Guru…

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=095225;p=1#000000

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Good one Roger! They'd need peirogi and fresh ground horseradish to choke me down.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
david yukon.....you're assuming i take it that we must be a bunch of idiots or misinformed buffoons that add to threads just for the hell of it.this thread started because a trad hunter was followed by wolves and was in fear of his safety.just because you have never had a problem with wolves does not mean it does'nt happen.a person does not have to live in a wolf den to know about wolves.i am glad you have never had a wolf encounter go bad and hope it stays that way.google wolf attacks on people and see for yourself.the encounters are getting more frequent.what about the special education teacher in alaska that was killed and eaten by a pack of wolves? what about the guy who was treed in his stand by 13 wolves?ya think they just wanted a pat on the head?  :readit:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
I follow the laws but I guess I'd have a hard time not carrying some type of gun with me for protection. I'd rather pay a fine and live. We don't have wolves here but we do have some bold coyotes that make me wonder sometimes. I've had them downwind from me at 30 yds and they just sat there yipping. Kinda had a primal feel to it. Glad your son made out ok.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by AustinCQC:
This economy is even hitting the wolves hard if they start hunting us.  Human is a weird meat.  

Besides, wolves are pack animals.  Just dominate the Alpha and then you have a pack of wolves to do your hunting.  Now THATS animal control.      :biglaugh:  
No thats bestiality.   :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Ghost Rob, I can relate, had the same thing happen to me once here in Southern Lower Michigan. Area is near Grand Valley State Univ.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
I have never hunted in an area with wolves, so I can only imagine the nervousness and perhaps fear that a pack of wolves at close proximity will evoke. However, I was shadowed and, I believe, stalked by a pack of wild dogs here in GA. That was pretty scary, and I was carrying a shotgun at the time. No, I don't think one should non-chalantly start shooting wolves, but if  you are truly fearful for your safety, then shoot fast, shoot straight. If you get ticketed by DNR then take it all the way to a jury trial.
Sam

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Really do nto have to worry with em as none here but I figure I wouldn't fear for myself even with them close. What I would fear for is my dog who if I am hunting he is there too.

A cop once taught me to say these words "I was in fear for my life" to the judge. No matter what I am going to protect mine, and then gladly turn myself in - and My Father a career Marine with much combat experience taught me "shoot first".

I have been stalked by Black Bears and followed in and outta stand locations on several occasions before or after sunset. Still only once thought I was in danger.

Bottom line after reading these pages is that they need control. I think if yall in wolf states put as much effort to the people that matter as yall have on this forum yall could get the laws changed. Not being sarcastic but look at the pages saying the same thing?

I have said before though it will take a child being injured or killed to get change.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:

If it's possible Zradix, I'd say go get the permit and start carrying concealed, or open either way your protected.
Open carry is legal in Michigan.
However, doing so does cause problem with Police.
Whether it should cause problems is beside the point. It just plain does. I've read about it in the paper many times.

Anyway, the concealed permit cost quite a bit of money to get. Classes and the permit itself.
Why should I have to pay for this is also another whole story....

It should just be legal to open carry a sidearm while bowhunting.
I've talked with the authorities on this point and was told the reason for this is that people were using their handguns to kill deer during bow season. So they made it illegal to take one with you.....
UUmmmm... SSSOooo another redundant law?? I mean it wasn't legal to shoot pistols at em to begin with. Now the lawbreakers are going to liten to a new law???!!!

AAAAAaaa don't get me started..lol

:knothead:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
i'll say this much,if i am hunting in an area infested with anything big enough to kill me and eat me you can bet the house on it that i'll be packin my 500 on my hip legal or not.i'll challenge it to the top if i have to.i cannot imagine what was going through this dudes mind knowing that he was being followed by a pack of wolves.i was stalked by a cougar once and chased for a little ways by a blackbear when i was a kid.not happening again period.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
PAPA BEAR, I'm sorry if I made you feel or think that I was assuming yo were an idiot. But I never thought so, I don't know any of you guys and realy try hard to not make assumption on any thing! My apology to any one who felt "atacked" from my coments.
cheers

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Here is a  link to a Sports Illustrated article about the decline of hunting and consequences but has a story of a documented wolf pack kill of a human.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1148866/1/index.htm

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
no offense taken yukon...we are all brothers in the forest.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
I was hunting in Upper Ontario in 1989 . Archery hunt for Bear in mid Sept . It was my first trip there . The guy I was with  had hunted there for years and was used to seeing wolves comming in to check the baits we had out for Bear . We could not LEGALY shoot them then but we all carried HTM rubber blunts to keep them away from the baits  when they showed up,  AND THEY DID !!.
 We took turns picking each other up at night on the road with one car .
  One evening ( it was pitch black dark) I was waiting just off the road ,about 5 miles from the other guy I was hunting with ( three of us all together ) I had something stalking me comming up from my right and down wind of me . I could tell from the sounds and movement  it was pretty big  at least small deer size I guessed and could have been a bear ,I thought at the time.
     Well I was scared enough to nock and arrow and turn in that direction . It was certainly trying to sneak up on me very slowly . I was readdy to shoot if I saw something threatening .
   It closed to about 10 yards , thick cover and I could not actualy see it in the dark . At about this time I saw the headlights of the car comming to pick me up . I did not deter the comming of this thing at all . When my buddy approached and got to about 20 yards away he suddenly slammed on the brakes and came rushing out of the car with the high beams on and bagan to shout to me . " DID YOU SEE THAT WOLF   CLOSE TO YOU ?" he was shouting . "Looked like it was comming for you!"   I had not actually seen it but he had caught it in the head lights and saw it stalking me .
 I was    again    down wind and   he must have known I was not a deer or any thing else.
    We talked about that for years I have no idea what would have happened if he had not come along then or in the next minute or two .
  But since it was CAnada I did NOT have my handgun with me like I normaly do   I will admit it scared me plenty and I did have a few more beers than usual that night back at camp .  
   NOw that was  a little over 20 years ago   I hate to think how  much worse it may be with the wolf increase since then.
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I grouse hunt with a friend who has a cabin near Black River Falls, WI.  We always see plenty of wolf sign up that way.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Thats crazy, I wish I wouldn't of read this as I'm leaving for a hunt in Black River Falls later tonight..........
   :scared:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline AustinCQC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Texas doesn't have wolves, but we do have wild dogs.  Wolves are a bit more leery of humans than dogs though.  I've scared wild dogs off with black cat fireworks before.  Although it won't hurt them, they're loud and could scare 'em off.

In Texas, you're allowed to carry a folded blade knife under 5" in public.  When hunting or fishing, you're allowed to carry whatever knife you are using that day to and from your trip.  A big fat bowie knife or machete would work for about 4 wolves if you're really worried about gun laws.  Read up on some Kali techniques.   :)  

Any 9mm will work for wolves, but if you're in wolf territory, you might be in bear territory too.  So you might want to bump up to a .45 or .50 cal just in case.  I know some guys that hunt in Canada and Alaska and never leave without a .50 cal.  My girlfriend used to live in Alaska and her dad told me everybody he knew had a .44 Mag revolver or some other high power round in their vehicle glove box.  

I'm not afraid of kanines.  They only have one way hurting you, so you just have to stay away from that one part or make their snout go one way so you can attack.  From experience, an unarmed grown man that faces a kanine will easily win if they keep their head and are smart about it. Two to One will be a dead even fight IMO.  Three or more and you'll be kibbles 'n bits without a weapon.  

I'm terrified of mountain lions and bears.  There's just no way of winning without a gun.

Offline JUST-DOO-IT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
I wish we could pack a little extra protection up here in Canada Eh.

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
I had a similar situation with coyotes in the early 2000s in central Va.  We had off from school because of snow, so I was out roaming the woods.  I had my .17 HMR, just in case I saw something to shoot, like a rabbit, squirrel or crow.  Something spooked some deer, and they came running toward me.  I thought it was weird that they ran towards me, since I thought I had jumped them up.  I didn't think much about it.

A while later, I thought I saw deer running on either side of me, just flashes of grey and no sound what so ever.  But they were really grey, more so than a winter deer, but I didnt put 2 and 2 together.  After a few minutes I crossed some dog tracks, which I followed.  The tracks circled where I was, about 30 yards from my tracks, then I could see where they turned off and when elsewhere.

I can't imagine coyotes would attack a person when theres plenty of game and the winter isnt so bad, but it is still a pretty creepy feeling.

Now that I have seen wolves at zoos and a big black one in the wild in Alaska,  I can only guess how much of a difference it would have been to have wolves circling.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010