3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why BW??  (Read 1664 times)

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Why BW??
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
Ok I see a lot of people with BW bows, espacialy recurves, are they realy great bows? are they worth the $$? they seem to be so many other bows out there, but so many BW, just curius!
Cheers

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why BW??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »
Their success says that many do believe their products to be worthy of such expense.

There may be some name recognition, and with the cost some non informed folks may purchase such a high end item and blab to others about how great it is, being pretty much clueless about it (simple snobbery).

And with longevity, brand recognition, you'll see more of their stuff used (again often by folks who were uninformed).

Critics of BW bows often point such things out.

And more than once such criticism, from my experience, was basef on simple jealousy.

Blackwidow bows are nice. Are they the best? Too subjective to be called that, people come in all shapes/sizes/preferences.

A well tuned Widow is a nice machine, but even then, it might not be right for some folks.

I happen to favor them, and think they to be worth the cost. Even on my crappy budget.

Oh sure, I'd love for them to cost less new, but the market says they are priced where they need to be. Having had 3 built over the last 20 yrs, it's really quite simple:

If ya want one, ya gotta pay for one.

Just the way it is.

I've shot other bows, some pretty nice ones, but for me, my favorite is a BW (SA2 actually).

IMHO try one out first (they have such a program). If ya like it, get one. Time on this rock is short, enjoy it, get what you want, don't settle.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
The name is the big thing ,,there are plenty of good recurves out there ,many made in Canada  that are just as nice and shoot just as good its like cars you want an exotic name you pay more !
Gord

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
I broke my left wrist 4 times, so the added mass weight and shock free shot were biggies for me.

I think there to be some subtle and not so subtle differences in BW recurves worthy of the cost. Some folks might not need, or can even distringuish, such differences. Lucky for them, they can shoot different and maybe cheaper bows and be just as happy.

I let a lot of people shoot my BW's over the years, some critics and cheapskates too. Many ordered their own after shooting mine, some never did but have been justifying not getting one with all sorts of rationalizations.

My old hunting bud, who has enough $ and always did have, said after all these years, that when I order my next one, he might too.

Might.

I drive a beater Jeep and shoot nice stuff.

I don't get a new truck every 2 yrs, of go to the Bahamas..... but some of my BW wannabes do.

They've spent a lot of money trying to find something comparable, and while that may be fun, think of the expense in time and $.

Again, if ya try one and like it, get it. They just keep getting more expensive and who knows how much tiem or $ you'll have down the road.

I remember getting my first BW, back in college. I didn't go out on weekends, walked to school, let my car sit, ate PB&J sandwiches for way too long and sold my other bow, to get it.

Was worth it too  :)

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »
Thank you guys, I kind of knew what I woud get as answers... I'm just looking for a great recurve to hunt, around 55# at 29+( I draw 29" on my long bows..) And I want something light and "fast"that can shoot heavy arrows, I hunt on the ground, a lot of the time from canoes and mainly Mr moose(Yukon moose)! Lets hear what you have to suggest!

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 01:58:00 AM »
Yes for me they r worth it I shoot them better than any other bow for some they may not be. I can pic my widows up and they r there right where I'm looking time after time no matter what other bow I'm shooting just pic one up and I'm on. I like trying other bows because its fun but they r not a widow its just not the same.   Widow

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
They're nice, but may not be what you like.
I'd definately try before buying.

A bow is just part of a shooting system, and the whole system needs to be in tune.

Unfortunately, lots of people dis an item when it is they who have incorporated it into a less than ideal system.

Blaming the product when the user is at fault is a major peeve of mine.

One of the reasons I love not working in a bow/gun shop anymore, the urge to shoot such stupid people was getting too strong  ;)

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 03:27:00 AM »
Do not have one but shot one . Yes they are worth it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »
Ooooh, I get to use this one:

:goldtooth:  

A few points to consider:

- There are many other brands just as expensive if not more so.

- There are precious few bow brands that have been around for as long as Black Widow, and as a result, precious few that have killed as much or more game than Black Widow.

- They really are "that" good; heaps of high-tech research and design goes into them.

- I like and support one-man-band bowyers, but it is comforting to know that when I'm much older, Black Widow have better odds of still being around.

- I believe I can bash them around without as much concern as with other bows; they are almost bomb-proof.

- Because of their CNC machine, I know that if ever I need another set of limbs for whatever reason, I don't need to send the riser over to them; the new limbs will automatically fit perfectly.

- I hear they're expensive... Man, you should compare them to nice rifles, or a fishing boat, or a motorbike, or even a tricked-out latest compound bow! They're pretty cheap, compared to those!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 05:36:00 AM »
If you make a search on PowWowyou'll see a lot of threads about them and a lot of guys will jump in.The reason is that a lot of people have tryed them and they are a reference point in judging bows.I have several different customs to compare:they are among the best,not my prefered but I wouldn't like to stay without.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
i like my widow longbow.i wouldn't say it was the best.i think they are worth the cost.i shoot home made selfbows now.this thread is making me want to get the widow out again.you can pick up a used widow cheaper and without the long wait.good luck to you,steve

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
I owned a used black Black Widow (MAB model) years ago. Killed my first two deer with trad with it. They are very good bows. Buy used and save some money doing that. I wish I still had mine but I absolutely love my Pittsley Predator Custom Classic.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »
Also, the waiting time for a new Black Widow is one of the best (shortest) times in the industry.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
They are a high quality well made bow,and they do cost alittle more then most but they are not the most expensive bows out there.They have a higher resale value then most other bows.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
Hey Ben, I get to use this one.  First time!

Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
Ooooh, I get to use this one:

:goldtooth:  

A few points to consider:

- There are many other brands just as expensive if not more so.

- There are precious few bow brands that have been around for as long as Black Widow, and as a result, precious few that have killed as much or more game than Black Widow.

- They really are "that" good; heaps of high-tech research and design goes into them.

- I like and support one-man-band bowyers, but it is comforting to know that when I'm much older, Black Widow have better odds of still being around.

- I believe I can bash them around without as much concern as with other bows; they are almost bomb-proof.

- Because of their CNC machine, I know that if ever I need another set of limbs for whatever reason, I don't need to send the riser over to them; the new limbs will automatically fit perfectly.

- I hear they're expensive... Man, you should compare them to nice rifles, or a fishing boat, or a motorbike, or even a tricked-out latest compound bow! They're pretty cheap, compared to those!
I'm with Ben.  Well said.  

BW also has customer service second to none, and a great "try before you buy" program that is worth utilizing if you are seriously interested in a Widow.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Try one for yourself. I am shooting them because I like them. You may not. Test drive one it cost the shipping and will give you your answer. Plus mine is the prettiest bow in my eyes. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
NO....you are not just paying for the name as Gordon posted.

I don't own one, but this spring I spent 4 days at thier plant with Fred Asbell for the shooting clinic. I shot every BW availble, more than once. I spent time with Roger and the boys going through the build and finish process. Wonderful quality, outstanding service, and so many models no doubt they have something that will fit you.

I have so many Shrew bows hanging on my wall it would be kind of silly to buy a new bow right now, but when I get the itch for a full sized recurve, it will absolutely be a Black Widow.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Wait until spring and then go to one of the big ronda's and you can shoot them all day long. I did when I was looking for a new custom bow. I tried one but it wasn't for me, different strokes for different folks. I ended up with a Leon Stewart 3 pc. R/D LB.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
I have an older BW MAII built back in '92 I think it was.  It has served me beautifully for nearly 20 years and is as smooth, fast, and quiet as any other recurve out there.  In most respects I find it superior to most others out there.

When I bought my bow I was still working and doing alright financially.  Health issues forced me into early retirement and a very limited income.  I am so grateful that I bought a BW bow for I know it will serve me well for another 20 or 30 years with a little care on my part.  And when I am done with it, one of my grandsons will likley enjoy it.

If you can get one, my advice is get it!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
There are many bows out there that will out perform and may be less costly.....In most cases you love them or hate them. I have one, an old MA Graybark I got used for $375. It's a great bow that I will keep for ever. You have to try a BlackWidow to make up your own mind. And when you do make sure you try several models.......you may be surprised!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©