3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why BW??  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why BW??
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I have been shooting trad stuff since the mid 60's.  I started with a Bear.  Over the years went through several and for a time shot "wheels".  Came back and decided to "shop around" for a curve.  Got a used PA after shooting it for a week.  I loved the bow.  Other posters are correct.  The bow needs to fit you.  This PA fit me.  I now have three Widows.

Bottom line....  you need to try one or two.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Some excellent advice has been given.

What you do with that advice is totally up to you.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Back in 07 i crushed the limb tip on my Widow.When i got home i gave them a call to see if they could cut the limb off and repair it.I spoke to Toby.He explained to me that shouldnt be done.But he did offer to ship me a set of limbs to use until i could afford to buy another set.I told him i didnt know when that would be.He said thats fine just keep them as long as i needed.I explaind that i had another bow to hunt with and wasnt really comfortable takeing their limbs like that.Then he told me to hang on while he talked to the other guys.When he came back to the phone he offerd me a set of demo limbs exact same specs as mine for haif price.Thankfully i have a understanding wife.I have never heard of that kind of service from anyother bowyer out there.Are they worth i absoloutly.Jim
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Their quality and customer service has proven itself time and time again over many years, and I'm sure they will be around for while.

Try one, if it works for you I would go for it. I dont own one but would like to try a PTF or PA one day if I'm in the market for a recurve.

Their rack of demo bows they haul around is surely impressive. They realize someone is contemplating spending alot of money and want to give them the opportunity to make sure they make the proper decision.

Eric

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Many Moons ago, I posted a thread - "For the love of a Black Widow" It had many pages of responses. You may wish to look at this thread.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=083682
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I cant keep my hands off mine.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
I had hurt my left arm skiing Christmas Eve 3 years ago.  To make it worse, I had a hog hunt set in late winter of that year.   I ran into the Widow boys at the Missouri Bowhunters a couple months later, and they offered to loan me a set of light limbs so I could go.  I did not ask, they just offered.   They sent me a set of light limbs, I went on the hunt thanks to the guys at the Widow Works. Sometimes just saying thank you is not enough.  They will always have my business.  4 Widows hanging on the rack right now, and my PCHX will be heading to the woods in a few hours with me.
Mel Riley

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Yukon:
Ok I see a lot of people with BW bows, espacialy recurves, are they realy great bows? are they worth the $$? they seem to be so many other bows out there, but so many BW, just curius!
Cheers
There is as much reason to get one than not to:
-if you want a CNC crafted bow with better performance level and lower price go for Pittsley's predator or Belcher recurve bow or lot of others
- if you are in the search for a 1000$  or + bow: you will find a lot of fine bowyer in north america capable to fulfill your dreams, some of them close to you in Canada like Abe Penner @ Cari bow.
- if finally you want to join the BW shooters tribe, indeed, you will own a good, very reliable, long lasting, average performer hunting bow.

Anyway before buying a BW or another priced bow, you should try it.   :dunno:
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
I'm with Ben

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
David, your question about Widows is just one of many, but I must say these are the most sensible and real responses a fellow can get.  You have to try one.  Good luck.

Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Irish, I don't own a BW bow...at least not yet. I've often heard that BW customer service is second to none. But I have to say that your experience has to be the best of example of that I've yet heard. Thanks for sharing.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I was bowfishing with my SA2 at a reservoir, saw a decent carp scoobying away along the spillway, ran down the embankment to circle around.....

got too much speed and my sneakers were already wet.........no brakes!!!!!!!!

Of course directly ahead (yet at some distance below) there were some huge boulders.

I tried compression braking (clamping off my nose and another orifice in preparation for a nasty contact). Tried to save the bow by crashing myself.

Partner said it was a horrific smack sound. I took 90% of the crash, didn't steer around the rock was gashed and bleeding all over (pouring out in some places).

The bow spun in my hand and tinged the rock as I went partially over it. Bow held together, didn't even come unstrung, but received a nasty gash in front limb glass.

Called BW, they repaired it for free, fast too, and the repair looked darn good. It cracked later in deer season, after smoking a doe, buck and two 'possums.

Called them again, sent it in, they deemed it unsafe and the bow was 4 yrs old. They offered to make me a new one just like it for $134.

Got me a copy in short order, shot just as good as the one before (took a few deer with it before I had shoulder/back probs that forced going back to compound for a few yrs).

BW customer service is FANTASTIC.

Now here's a little more for ya...........I like nice stuff, but only buy from good guys. I'll buy nice but lesser stuff from a great person, rather than buy the best from a jerk.

Blackwidow is nice stuff from nice people.

That is why I buy them (well I can actually hit stuff with them too)   ;)  

Met Ken back in '88, shot along side him at the practice bales with my MA2 at Cloverdale.

Gentleman through and through.

New gang is just as honorable.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Thank you guys for all the info on the bow and service. As for trying before buying, it is not realy possible for me, since I live in the middle of no where and that BW try out program is only for the US... I understand...

I have 2 bows from Canadien bowyer, one that doesn't make bows any more and the other is from Cari-Bow. I like the bows, but would love to have a recurve in the 55# range...
That said, maybe one day I will be able to try one out!!

Thank you again!

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Can't go wrong with a Cari-bow, from what I have heard, as they are one swet looking unit
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
Your decision appears to be quite sound.

BW offers both compendable bows and service.
In no way does that translate into taking a chance on an untried bow unless you can afford the gamble. We are all indivuals and have our own particular needs. This the same recommendation I would offer for any other higher priced bow.

I often find may self in the same predicament on most of the bows I find interesting. Gambled once on a much more expensive bow and got bitten badly. Yes, the bow was wonderful but we were an absolute mismatch. I also had shot a buddy's bow over the past sevweral years, that was 7#'s heavier than what I was accustomed to, yet it always felt  more comfortable to me than the bows I had shot 1000's of times. I relented and unfortunately paid the price but fortunatley have been utterly satisfied. And yes I would do again.
Finding the right bow that is individually right for you is the prise.

Remain patient and the fact that there are so many BW's significantly increases your chances of running across one.

The are a few good archers that can pick up any bow and shoot it well. However, they would prefer a bow that fits them naturally.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
I shot a CAri-Bow recurve, and was very impressed.  I also own a widow, and don't plan on selling it.

You might pick up a used one, and if it's not for you, or you decide you want a new one. Then you should have no problem selling the widow. That's just another reason to buy one, they hold their value better than any bow I know.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
The origional post is "Why a BW"?
 My answer.. I don't know !!!       :knothead:     In my case, I have found bows I like better made by other very good craftsmen.. My favorites being Morrison, Schafer, Jack Kemp's Qwyk Styk, and John Mc Colough's Griffins [ in no particular order].  No one can tell me these bows do not hold their value..When was the last time you saw a K.S. in the classiifeds?

Most of my problem with the BW's was the noise and the overkill I felt necessary to make them quiet, and the fact that I never saw the "speed" others always refered too.

I must admit they are "pretty," and and I shoot well with them,  However, I shoot as good or better with my choices and consider them by my defination, to be "customs" as they are in most cases built by one guy.  Not by an assembly line as some factory bows seem to be.

I'm sorry,but you asked why, and I guess I answered why IMO. "Why Not" somethimg else.

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
My first BW was not fastflite strung. My other two were. None of them seemed noisy to me, and other folks told me they were surprisingly quiet.

I shot 2216's and carbons to 480 grains, on bows 55-62#@28". All three were takedowns.

So the noisy BW thing, I'm just not getting.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
I have no problem with the "assembly line". Heck, I'd like a Ferrari and they're built on such evil production things.

Trying to see if your statement about used bows was just a stand alone on thos models you listed or if you are hinting at something else.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
I have shot a couple and while I liked them I was not overly impressed. They were not a good fit for me.  

Everything I have ever heard about them is that BW is top in customer service, they are great at making bows ( they make a lot of them ), and have a huge following of BW lovers.  For me the customer service is a huge part in this.  You can't go wrong when you buy american and get top notch customer service.  I would take the advice here and try one out for the cost of shipping.  You may just find out they are the bow for you.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©