3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why BW??  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why BW??
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
I've always thought of Black Widow Bows as being the Harley-Davidson of the trad world. Customers tend to be fiecely loyal to the Black Widow brand, just as Harley owners are. Nothing whatsoever wrong with that. In fact it's undoubtedly a good thing.

But when push comes to shove, you'll probably have just as much luck convincing a Harley rider to buy a Honda or Yamaha as you will in convincing a Black Widow devotee to part with his bow. It is my opinion Black Widow has managed to create an aura about them, either by design or by accident, that somehow seems to capture the essence of what it means to be a traditional bowhunter. Whether one shoots a Black Widow or not, I believe this is something that should be appreciated by the entire traditional bowhunting community.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »
Hookeye,

I'm not sure what your refering to in the second sentence in your last post.   :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 02:24:00 AM »
I have had BW take downs and target bows.  They shoot great, but for me, I prefer the agile handling of Hill style and Robertson longbows.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Yukon:
Thank you guys for all the info on the bow and service. As for trying before buying, it is not realy possible for me, since I live in the middle of no where and that BW try out program is only for the US... I understand...

I have 2 bows from Canadien bowyer, one that doesn't make bows any more and the other is from Cari-Bow. I like the bows, but would love to have a recurve in the 55# range...
That said, maybe one day I will be able to try one out!!

Thank you again!
Abe Penner can craft you a heck of recurve bow as well. check out on his web site.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Deer don't care how much you spend  :)

I doubt any deer I shoot is gonna feel slighted in the afterlife because I shot it with a Tradtech and not a Blackwidow.

What I like about BW's is that they shoot very well for me and I don't have to modify them to do so (SA2's).

FWIW a bud has a Chastain that fits me really well too.

I've tried a lot of other bows, factory and custom, and those two fit me best.

My Pinnacle 2 Tradtech is pretty decent for the money..........but I spent 5 hrs modifying it with a Dremel.

Had to do the same to a Samick Phantom.

Figuring in my time, skills, risk of damage etc........it's a lot better IMHO to just buy a rig that you can shoot well without modification.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I have been eyeing them for a while and last week I tried my friends. I believe was a PSA and all I can say is Ive been on there website most of the day today at work. Im just trying to figure out which bows to sell to get the funds. LOL

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
I've been shooting a well designed longbow made by a seasoned boyer for the past 6 years.  I ordered a new BW PLX this summer and received it six weeks ago.  Both bows are #55 and the BW is 2" longer.  The BW has proven to be a more stable bow that has tightened my groups and added 10 yards to my effective range.  A bad day with the BW is about like a good day with my previous bow.

That being said, I believe that there has to be a psychological symbiosis that forms between you and your bow.  Whether or not you experience that symbiosis depends on how a bow looks, feels in your hand and shoots for you.  BW makes an excellent bow.  Only you can decide if it's the bow for you.  Take a test drive.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
If I was in the position to order a new bow tomorrow it would be another Black Widow. They have gone way out of their way for me over the years and have earned my business and loyalty.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Lots of cheap, pretty and fast bows out there and most any will shoot for you under normal situations.  But if you hunt in weather or places where your hunt (or perhaps even your life) may ride on the dependability/durability  of your bow, you'll appreciate a Widow.  It is one tough SOB.

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Phantom double post!
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
I own a BW PSA III and love it better than a longbow I bought years ago. My wife said to me last week, "sometimes I think you love that bow, more than me!" I just laughed it off, but I really do love shootin', messin' with my bow!
Try one, you might just like it! good luck.
Kennyb
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline reinmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
i purchased a new one a few years back and its a good bow.  i have had several custom bows thru the years,and I think that its all in what you like.  There are many other good bowyers out there.  Shoot as many as you can before making a purchase.  Most trad archers are good people who will let you shoot their bows.  I killed a deer with mine last Sunday morning, and ordered a new RER bow on monday.  The only draw back to my widow is that it is a take down PMA.  They are kinda heavy.  The guys at BW are terrific to deal with and very helpful.  I'm not an expert by far.  I do as you have done and ask a lot of questions.  Good luck, and I agree buy used.  There are many good people on this site that have bows for sale. Honestly used bows are not bringing much right now so its the time to buy.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
You can find faster, prettier, quieter, cheaper, more expensive, etc.  But I am not sure you can find a more dependable bow.  Maybe some other match it but I don't know of one that beats it. That's the bottom line with me.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
I have shot hundreds of bows over the last 50 yrs and the best bow was a widow a guy had at the indoor range. I shot it with my arrows and the first 5 shots was a 25 4X. The guy that owned the bow turned down every attempt I made to buy that bow over the next two years but I did get to shoot it a lot. Finally did buy another used widow in perfect condition but I never shot good with it, (poundage a bit too high).
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Kenny B I thought i was the only one who had a wife say that.
Would an engagment ring fit on a BW limb.   :biglaugh:
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
I have to echo a couple others with customer service comments, There is not a boywer or bow company with better customer service. period, one of my best friends builds a great longbow, but BW has him beat in the CS dept.  LOL..
 I also had a pretty bad injury a few years ago breaking a bicep tendon on my left arm (i shoot lefty) and had a big hunt coming up, i decieded to forgo surgery and the guys at black widow loaned me a set of lighter limbs at no charge. they have time and again proven them selves.
  thier bows fit me well and all have a very solid feel at the shot, speed is average to me, but the bow is as bullet proof as one can be I believe, they are designed as a hunting bow and excel in that
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I have several, an SA111 with three sets of limbs and a 07 PL11 longbow. Some of the things that I've seen said about BWs as drawbacks are not necessarily true in my opinion. If you get the heavy string off them and shoot with half a cat whisker at each end and no tip protector, they are in fact very quick and quiet. I've checked them on the chrono's with heavy arrows and they keep right up or out shoot a lot of brands. I've seen it. But there really isn't a bunch of difference in speed with the top brands, just a click here and there. Sometimes you will see bows that are fast with light arrows and becoming much more mundane with really heavy arrows and so on. Not with the better bows for sure. And then there's the BW service......
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  my wife has said exactly the same thing :i mean exactly,my bw is my ,almost daily stress relief , and sometimes im sure she wonders; great post. chuck
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Black Widow Bows are just freakin awesome.  Test drive one and find out for yourself.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline reinmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
good luck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©