3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Proud Papa!  (Read 495 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Proud Papa!
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Sitting here at work today, I just recieved a call from my son Alex. He called to tell me ( in a most excited voice) that he just killed his first deer with a bow. A fat doe from 10 yds on the ground.

Alex isnt your typical teenager. He just turned 18, and has been taggin along in the deer woods with me literally since he was 2 weeks old. He chooses to hunt with traditional archery gear. His first season was with a Bear Kodiak Magnum. I bought him a Thunderstick Mag longbow after his first season. He hunted with that fora few years, and could never get a break. A few misses, deflections, and blown opportunities tested his resolve.
Never once did he give up on hunting with a real bow. Never once did he ever consider going to wheels. He is a traditional bowhunter from the start.

The Bear Grizzly he is currently shooting was given to him from the collection of our dear friend Bob Rezny after Bob passed away. The arrow, was one used in the 21 Arrow salute to Bob at the B4K Amy Pray shoot. After Alex shot that arrow in Bobs memory, he took it home and put a broadhead on it. Said he would hunt with that arrow and bow until he killed his first deer with it.

I am more than certain ol' Treestand6 is smilin down from Heaven today, knowing Alex finally put it all together.

Im stuck at work, working one of my last shifts at the FD before I retire on tuesday. Im bummed I couldnt be there with him to share the moment. But we had a good hunt last night together, and Im proud of him for his dedication, and perseverence. Just him being here to bowhunt this season is a blessing after the close brush with death he had in april when he broke his neck in a car crash.

Im proud of that kid of mine, thats for sure.

I dont have any pics yet, but I'll post one soon as I get one.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Proud Papa!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
That is a great tribute to treestand6! Can't wait to hear the story and see the Picts. Congratulations to your son and you.

Keeping the Fath!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
It is an honor just to have been included in the sharing of this story.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
And you should be proud too! Congrats to both you and your son........Thanks for sharing...Ryan

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Your son is certainly made of the right stuff. You should be proud, of him and yourself. He is a reflection of what he learned from you. No son becomes of man of outstanding character without a positive adult influence. Congrats to you both!   :clapper:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
Sounds like a great kid,congrats to him and you also.  :clapper:

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Lots to be proud of! Congrats. Nice to hear of a young man these days who won't lower his standards for instnt gratification. Even better knowing how special the arrow and bow are to you and him. Get out there Weds after retirement and spend as much time with him in the woods that you can.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
How cool is this? Way !!! I'm saying...

Thank you for sharing this with us. It's a real heart warmer.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Great news!!!

Heartfelt congrats to EVERYONE!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Be proud Dad  :clapper:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
John, that is GREAT!  And I hope things are real slow for the next couple days at the fire house.  I know you are going to enjoy retirement!

Offline Blue Knight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
You are a lucky to a have a son like that. Life is Good, so now that you are going to be retired go and enjoy Life!!!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Exceptional on multiple levels.  Congratulations to the young archer and proud father.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Thanks Steve. Today is my last day on the rescue, I work Tuesday, but I'm just hangin out makin a huge batch of chili and dogs for my shift, and grillin steaks for my crew for dinner. Friday I head for The Island for a 5 day deer hunt. Boat is ready to go, gear is ready, and so am I. Takin my canvas tent, stove, some grub and my longbow. Life is good.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Blue Knight, you dont know how lucky we are to still have him. Almost lost him April 21st, but the good Lord, and 3 Guardian Angels were lookin out for him that day. Those angels are Bob, Amy, and his Grandpa.

We had a long talk in the ICU, and I told him every day from this day forward is a gift, and shame on him if he takes that for granted.

Hes fully recovered, and our time in the woods together is extra special. Seein him grow into a young man, gettin it done on his own is the paycheck for all the time spent. Hes the one on the left in my avatar pic, that was taken on his 12th birthday.

Thing is, the apple didnt fall far from the tree with that boy.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:  That is awesome John Congratulations to him
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
That's awesome, congrats to him!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
I might add congratulations in retiring from the department!  I hope to get there someday myself.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline reinmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
thanks for sharing, and sent him my congradulations

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement